07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

They are good for preventative, but once a cell has failed, they can't do much for you. If you go the module replacement route, it is a useful tool for reconditioning and optimizing the repaired battery.

Sorry to hear you dealt with a crook. The sensing harness can be replaced with new for much less though removal, disassembly and the reverse are time consuming. Corroded copper bus bars look very crystalline in nature. Rust is not the first word that comes to mind.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

I contacted Toyota to see what they can do. If this TCH was in a CARB state, they'd be doing a warranty replacement. So far the best I can do is 1k off the job on Toyota and my dealership doing the labor to install at 220 or so. Total on me is 2700 but a factory battery. The Toyota rep said she thought it was only 12mo/12k miles but I thought it was 36mo 36k miles. I've been having regrets buying a this hybrid when the battery dumps just outside of warranty and especially when it would be warranted if I was in a CARB state...

Old 09-07-2016, 06:46 AM
Enthusiast

I guess the car would have had to be purchased originally IN a CARB state too, not as easy as just having it titled in a CARB state...

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jackrealtor
I guess the car would have had to be purchased originally IN a CARB state too, not as easy as just having it titled in a CARB state...
You are not in a carb state. You are not entitled to a state mandated warranty if you don't live in that state. Using it as a negotiation tool is fine, but don't fall into the trap of actually believing you're entitled to it.

You are like too many people who buy a used hybrid that's out of warranty or nearly out of warranty.

Regardless of price ALL hybrids are* far more complex with more potential for failure than gas-only cars.* ALL prospective buyers of used hybrids need to ask themselves, "am I okay with an immediate $3-5K repair bill?"* If the answer is yes, go for it.*If the answer is "no", then move along.

Again, I'm sorry for the set of circumstances that brought you here.* Unfortunately, this is all too common an occurrence.* Is it in the majority? I don't think so, but it happens enough to too many people for me to dismiss it.

So, in 100% of cases a new factory battery is the BEST option for a LONG TERM repair.* New warranty on Toyota replacement hybrid batteries is 3 years, unlimited miles:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Warranty.pdf

While they only warranty it, you should expect a life comparable to the original.* Toyota failure rates inside of 4 years is only 1 in 333.* I'll take those odds.* I would wager that the car will die of some other cause before the battery gives it up again.* Once you're out of the warranty period, the HA reconditioning package could likely extend the life indefinitely.

$2700 is only a little more than the "national" brands, so if you have any intention of keeping the car, go for it.* They're giving you a killer deal.

Steve

Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Well I drove the car to the local Toyota dealership I have used for about 15 years or so. They put me in an "arrest me red" toyota prius V that's actually pretty cool. I only drove it to the house but like the touch screen controls for the systems like GPS and live traffic (via satellite subscription i'd imagine). The Hybrid Battery should be in for installation at the beginning of the week. Thanks too, Steve, for sending me a copy of the true Toyota warranty, 36 month unlimited miles means they really have faith in that new battery! I'm betting they use all new cells and not remanufactured ones? It'd be cool if they could produce a plug in that would utilize the safety disconnect terminals to snap in a plug in...

Old 09-11-2016, 02:09 PM

Well I drove the car to the local Toyota dealership I have used for about 15 years or so. They put me in an "arrest me red" toyota prius V that's actually pretty cool. I only drove it to the house but like the touch screen controls for the systems like GPS and live traffic (via satellite subscription i'd imagine). The Hybrid Battery should be in for installation at the beginning of the week. Thanks too, Steve, for sending me a copy of the true Toyota warranty, 36 month unlimited miles means they really have faith in that new battery! I'm betting they use all new cells and not remanufactured ones? It'd be cool if they could produce a plug in that would utilize the safety disconnect terminals to snap in a plug in...
As you're purchasing a "NEW" part, you would expect new components. If you bought a "new" alternator for a corolla, you would expect to get it NEW and not reconditioned, remanufactured or refurbished unless identified as such.

To my knowledge, the individual battery modules are new. Toyota has begun offering reconditioned/remanufactured packs, but they are clearly identified as such.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

I wonder if installing one of those Hybrid Automotive battery systems you sell would take care of the problem? My guess is that the answer in my case would be "no".

The independent used car lot owner I purchased the TCH from told me that the battery issue that I was unaware of until I had my Toyota dealership pull-up the full vehicle history and saw the hybrid battery was bad and needed replacement was due to "the battery's cable was crystallized and he had a shop clean it for 600 bucks or something. Perhaps the guy who was not from America used the wrong term for rusty? Who knows but he turned out to be a scumbag (big surprise and MY BAD dealing with him) so I wouldn't phone him. Side note, it took the Secretary of State's police stepping in to get my title and plates.

Hi Jason,
i am literally having the exact same problem with my 07 Camry hybrid. I had the 12v battery replaced at an auto parts store about a month ago & since then all the same lights & messages you described. Fan started running about a week ago as well. Today it completely shut off while I was driving. Thankfully I was able to coast to a parking lot. It started back up immediately but I guess that was the sign I needed to finally do something about all the issues. I am in no way as car savvy as you are but I would love for you to tell me the best way to deal with it. Do I take to dealership immediately?

lola

Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 AM

Lola,

It's all just guesswork without the codes. Take it to O'Reilly to have the codes read for free. They use Bosch readers and seem to be more reliable than Autozone for reading Toyota hybrid codes. Get the CODES. Don't take their description of the code. Get the code itself. Most aren't familiar with the hybrid codes, and the readers don't necessarily list the correct description. Again, get the actual codes.

The fan running is almost certainly indicating HV battery failure. The shutdown while driving is likely a different issue. The shutdown issue suggests that you should drive the car as little as possible.

Ultimately, we can't provide you any meaningful advice without the codes.

Steve

Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

Got it. Going to get codes ASAP. Very appreciative.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast

Ok. Got the codes. O'Reilly guy was super nice & after I told him what happened, said the first problem was that the auto parts shop replaced the battery for me. Said it should have been done by dealership or at least someone who knows the particulars of hybrid. He thinks all of the issues are most likely related to that.
Here are the codes (11 of them!):
B1603
C1241
C1242
C1253
C1256
C1259
C1310
POA7F
POA80
P3018
P3019

He advised me to go to dealership for "reprogramming". Also said I may be able to have original auto parts store pay for it since they shouldn't have replaced it.

Do y'all concur? He didn't tell me what each code meant so I'd love to know & get your take on this.

Thanks!
Lola

Quick Reply: 07' Camry Hybrid "check hybrid system", "check vsc system" several codes pulled

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands