09 TCH in the shop for 5 days so far, Toyota won't cover the $3500 Repair!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 TCH in the shop for 5 days so far, Toyota won't cover the $3500 Repair!

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
how did an installation that was done 4 months ago have anything to do with the failure? Dealership even states the cannot tell me what happened and it might have been a freak accident. Read: They don't know what cause it. They said connections were good and soldered.

These cars are real sensitive to voltage spikes is what more than likely happened when you worked on it. I have seen some real shabby fog lamp and other installations on these vehicals and am not surprised that some airbags have not gone off or cars burned to the ground. Like I say either hire a pro or leave it alone!!! On another note you say the alarm system was put in 4 months ago but you just said YOU were dicking around installing the ipod deal so if it went for 4 months I doubt it was the alarm people but YOU!!!! I sure hope Toyota sticks to its guns and you pay as I don't want stupidity costing me more for my next Toyota. Its usually not cool to dic with these cars til they are out of warrentee.

Last edited by skywagon; 11-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 TCH in the shop for 5 days so far, Toyota won't cover the $3500 Repair!

It would seem that since the fried module is located behind the radio and the fried module has evidence of splicing this fried module was caused not be a manufacturing defect but by a human.

The shop that did the remote start might have soldered the wires back together but when the iPod interface was installed the wires were jumbled around an if the previous repair was not perfect it could have caused a short.

I believe the above is to be the likely cause.

On a side note, I do not agree with the fact that you have to pay for the entire harness as opposed to a single fried part. I think your best bet would be to argue and attempt to have only the friend part replaced (if that indeed is all that has failed).

Either way, my opinion is the bill is on the customer.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Since the dealership has chosen not to ask Toyota for special consideration on your situation, I would ask them to at least sell you the part at employee pricing (10% over cost?) and perform the repair at in-house rates or warranty labor rates - what they would charge Toyota or their own used-car department.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon

These cars are real sensitive to voltage spikes is what more than likely happened when you worked on it. I have seen some real shabby fog lamp and other installations on these vehicals and am not surprised that some airbags have not gone off or cars burned to the ground. Like I say either hire a pro or leave it alone!!! On another note you say the alarm system was put in 4 months ago but you just said YOU were dicking around installing the ipod deal so if it went for 4 months I doubt it was the alarm people but YOU!!!! I sure hope Toyota sticks to its guns and you pay as I don't want stupidity costing me more for my next Toyota. Its usually not cool to dic with these cars til they are out of warrentee.
Stupidity? On who's part?
I guess everyone should stop installing IPod adapters in these cars, because the it could cause a issue with the body ecu??? BTW a SHOP installed the ipod adapter, PLUG-&-PLAY.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
It would seem that since the fried module is located behind the radio and the fried module has evidence of splicing this fried module was caused not be a manufacturing defect but by a human.

The shop that did the remote start might have soldered the wires back together but when the iPod interface was installed the wires were jumbled around an if the previous repair was not perfect it could have caused a short.

I believe the above is to be the likely cause.

On a side note, I do not agree with the fact that you have to pay for the entire harness as opposed to a single fried part. I think your best bet would be to argue and attempt to have only the friend part replaced (if that indeed is all that has failed).

Either way, my opinion is the bill is on the customer.
The two wires that were spliced prior are no where near the radio. The board just happens to be located in the general area of behind the radio. Also keep in mind, the car STARTED and ran after everything was complete.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:52 PM

The two wires that were spliced prior are no where near the radio. The board just happens to be located in the general area of behind the radio. Also keep in mind, the car STARTED and ran after everything was complete.
Ok, well, your original story was not too clear. You also said in another post that the dealer saw the wire that had been tampered with.

The logical thought would be since the unit that was fried was behind the radio and they saw the tampered with wires that the tampered with wires were behind the radio.

Further more, I assumed (which could have been wrong) that because you said the car started to test the device and then the car was turned off to "clean up" that the radio was not put back into place when the test was performed. This could still leave the opportunity to "damage" the fried unit located behind the radio.

Lastly, most products that deal with power instruct the battery terminals to be disconnected so that there is no chance of harm to you or damage to the vehicle. I am not sure if this is the case with the iPod unit, but, if it was and this precaution was not taken, damage could have been done to the vehicle in way of a voltage spike while attempting to install the device.

I install the VAIS Tech I-Pod adapter and turn the car on to test it. Works great everything is o.k. Turn the car off to clean up and then I turned the car back on and the car wouldn't do anything! I had the car towed to the dealership Monday, on Thursday eveing they finally figured out that a module that is back behind the radio is "fried."
You just made a claim that the iPod adapter was installed by a shop in your post reply to Skywagon. Funny, the quote above from your original post does not read that way.

So what's the real story?

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 11-08-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Ok, well, your original story was not too clear. You also said in another post that the dealer saw the wire that had been tampered with.

The logical thought would be since the unit that was fried was behind the radio and they saw the tampered with wires that the tampered with wires were behind the radio.

Further more, I assumed (which could have been wrong) that because you said the car started to test the device and then the car was turned off to "clean up" that the radio was not put back into place when the test was performed. This could still leave the opportunity to "damage" the fried unit located behind the radio.

Lastly, most products that deal with power instruct the battery terminals to be disconnected so that there is no chance of harm to you or damage to the vehicle. I am not sure if this is the case with the iPod unit, but, if it was and this precaution was not taken, damage could have been done to the vehicle in way of a voltage spike while attempting to install the device.

You just made a claim that the iPod adapter was installed by a shop in your post reply to Skywagon. Funny, the quote above from your original post does not read that way.

So what's the real story?
Yes, I [had a shop] install the adapter. I actually work for the company that did the install.

The dealer already knew what happened 4 months ago. I even reminded them about it and we (myself, shop tech and installer) even checked all those wires to make sure they were clean and neat during the diagnostic process. BECAUSE I told them if it was due to a shorted wire from down there that I would have to go through the shop's insurance.

The radio was already installed, all panels installed and complete installed. The clean up was wire ties, boxes etc...
I'd like to see a flow chart of the car, I'd like to see if the radio even goes to that module.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

Nuts writes: BECAUSE I told them if it was due to a shorted wire from down there that I would have to go through the shop's insurance.

Why are you trying to nail someone else with your screwup? First Toyota and now shops insurance. I think you better go to your own insurance company. Also in your original post you stated you installed the i-pod device, now you had a shop do it, I think this whole situation is just plain bogus!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Yes, I [had a shop] install the adapter. I actually work for the company that did the install.

The dealer already knew what happened 4 months ago. I even reminded them about it and we (myself, shop tech and installer) even checked all those wires to make sure they were clean and neat during the diagnostic process. BECAUSE I told them if it was due to a shorted wire from down there that I would have to go through the shop's insurance.

The radio was already installed, all panels installed and complete installed. The clean up was wire ties, boxes etc...
I'd like to see a flow chart of the car, I'd like to see if the radio even goes to that module.
Search on my post for the TCH Electrical Wiring Diagram PDF. You'll find the flow there. The file is hosted by way of rapidshare.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Nuts writes: BECAUSE I told them if it was due to a shorted wire from down there that I would have to go through the shop's insurance.

Why are you trying to nail someone else with your screwup? First Toyota and now shops insurance. I think you better go to your own insurance company. Also in your original post you stated you installed the i-pod device, now you had a shop do it, I think this whole situation is just plain bogus!!!
Yup, You figured me out, I have nothing else better to do... Actually I don't even own a TCH It's actually on my Hummer H2 Hybrid...

BTW maybe I should do like YOU suggest "Five gallons of gas and a match fixes most problems lol!!!!!!!!!!" or maybe like YOU'VE done, put a hitch on my Camry, tow TWO Harleys and when I have a issue to make sure I don't have a trailer attached to the Camry when I get it towed in? Since you love emotocons, here you go:

Good thing I'm NOT trying to hide anything like some...

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 11-08-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 TCH in the shop for 5 days so far, Toyota won't cover the $3500 Repair!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands