100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Originally Posted by jimmy1
My question was when is WHEEL ALIGNMENT recommended for TCH 2007? upon hitting how many mileage?
I dont trust the dealers recommendations cos they would always tell you these horror stories of how junk your car is and needs major repair everytime you go for oil change or for regular maintainence. This time again, when i went for oil change and tire rotation, they recommended WHEEL ALIGNMENT and some DRAINAGE something for $400 extra.
There's no such thing as wheel alignment recommended for specific mileage, as I mentioned it depends on the condition of your suspension.

Dealers need to generate profit and it's not unusual for them to recommend unnecessary services, they will say it's preventive maintenance and will save you money down the road if taken care of earlier (yep 99% works all the time on gullible customers)

Ask them why you need an alignment and what's the drain/fill for and look it up on your maintenance manual. The more you ask the more they'll stay away from you.

BTW, you're hijacking this thread, it's better to create a new topic.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

My TCH has around 75,000 miles and all I have had to do in terms of maintenance is regular oil changes, change the air filter once, blow out the cabin air filter regularly, and rotate the tires every 5k.

The original Bridgestone Turanza EL-400 tires were junk and only lasted 23,000 miles until I had to replace them. Made the mistake of replacing them with Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid tires that were supposed to be better, and they also were junk. Finally got smart and paid for a third set of tires -- Michelin Energy MXV S8 tires, and they are expensive but perfect.

The only problem I had was a rattle with the windshield, which was a common problem with the first vehicles out of the Kentucky factory. I discovered I could avoid the TSB solution which calls for tearing apart the dash, and fixed it myself with a $5 roll of weatherstripping from Menards (I posted this elsewhere on this site).

So far my car drives just like the day I took it off the dealer's lot.

I average 35-38 mpg overall, depending on whether it is summer or winter. Cold weather does affect my MPG more than anything else.

I will soon be looking at replacing the brake pads and the 12 volt battery as a precaution.

Oh, it does seem like my TCH uses a little oil (about a half quart between oil changes). Especially when I put OW-20 it seems like I have to top it off a few times between oil changes.

Overall I am very happy with my car, and enjoy it very much.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

64k miles on mine and also drives like new.
Within 2 years of ownership, I've had the following TSBs performed:
* Fixed moonroof track.
* Replaced steering rack.
* Leaking coolant pump replaced (at around 20k miles).

Other than that, I've fixed some squeaks and rattles myself (dashboard, shifter).

I JUST replaced my rear brake pads because one was sticking. There is a TSB on the brake pads due to a poor fit. All the pads on the car had 80+% life left, but the one on the rear had worn down to about 30% in a matter of 6 months (the last time I checked it). I replaced the horrible Bridgestone tires at 35k.

[[ UPDATE June 19 2012 ]]
After 2000 miles, I am not seeing oil consumption! See reply further down for more info.

Mine just started using a little oil as well (3/4 a quart per 5k miles) and it freaked me out due to the TSB out on sticking piston rings for the 2007 Camry engines. There would be a lot more complaints if this was a major issue, so I'm not too worried. I also use 0w20 oil (Mobil1) and may switch to Pennzoil Ultra 0w20 or 5w20 to keep the pistons a little cleaner (25% according to their "tests"). Search on TN to find more about this piston issue. Apparently, the rings were changed to improve efficiency in the 2007 models, and some are now sticking due to "buildup" in their grooves. Some owners reported that codes were being thrown due to soot covered spark plugs because of this. Synthetic oil doesn't seem to help, and the fix is a partial engine rebuild with new piston rings.

Last edited by andrewbmoore; 06-19-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: June19 update for oil consumption.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

A little over 100K on mine now. I'm currently checking my oil regularly to see if my 2.4 is burning oil too or if the lube place guys were just shorting me when I went there to get my oil changed. Only issues I've found now are squealing rear brakes and for some reason it seems like the ABS box under the hood is rattling a lot more than usual...not sure what is about. My water pump was replaced at 58K and I did the belt/plugs at 50K just to do it (before a long road trip). Planning on doing the coolant and hoses soon in addition to the drive belt again. Other than this, the car seems to be holding up fine (it better because it's already paid off and I don't want to get a new car right now!).

Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine burns about 1 qt/5k and after reading your post, this is first time I hear about sticking rings and it just happens I'm at 112k, so decided to change spark plugs. It doesn't seem I have this problem with rings, sparks were dry, no oil deposits, no visible issues, probably could run another 10-20k on them.
However I did came up with first more serious failure in my car last week.
It was running little louder for few days, but couldn't see any hole in muffler until the whole pipe broke off, just like somebody cut it off, right at flange connecting first catalytic converter to the second one. I took my car to the muffler place and they welded it back for $50, since the whole pipping seems pretty good with very little rust, so hopefully will held good now.
I was afraid either I would be buying new section from dealer for $1200 or aftermarket for $200, but those are not good and probably wouldn't pass inspection next year, so color me happy, it was all fixed within 30 min.
Originally Posted by andrewbmoore
Mine just started using a little oil as well (3/4 a quart per 5k miles) and it freaked me out due to the TSB out on sticking piston rings for the 2007 Camry engines. There would be a lot more complaints if this was a major issue, so I'm not too worried. I also use 0w20 oil (Mobil1) and may switch to Pennzoil Ultra 0w20 or 5w20 to keep the pistons a little cleaner (25% according to their "tests"). Search on TN to find more about this piston issue. Apparently, the rings were changed to improve efficiency in the 2007 models, and some are now sticking due to "buildup" in their grooves. Some owners reported that codes were being thrown due to soot covered spark plugs because of this. Synthetic oil doesn't seem to help, and the fix is a partial engine rebuild with new piston rings.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmartinez95
A little over 100K on mine now. I'm currently checking my oil regularly to see if my 2.4 is burning oil too or if the lube place guys were just shorting me when I went there to get my oil changed. Only issues I've found now are squealing rear brakes and for some reason it seems like the ABS box under the hood is rattling a lot more than usual...not sure what is about. My water pump was replaced at 58K and I did the belt/plugs at 50K just to do it (before a long road trip). Planning on doing the coolant and hoses soon in addition to the drive belt again. Other than this, the car seems to be holding up fine (it better because it's already paid off and I don't want to get a new car right now!).
Oh no... If your ABS box appears to be running more than usual, it may have a seal that is starting to fail. A complete failure will cause warning lights to come on. Other TCH owners have had this part fail (and many Prius owners), and the only fix is a new "accumulator" module for $1600 in parts (not labor). The module cannot be repaired since it is a "sealed" unit. Ugh...

Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with "JT" VIN checking in here:
I am at 104,000 miles. So far so good. Outside of regular oil changes that I have done myself and a set of tires from Costco everything is still running fine..**knock on wood** No leaks from the HV inverter coolant or issues yet either...

One thing though...how do I test to see if I need to check my shocks/suspension?
Last week I went to Panama City beach Florida with a couple of my friends from Kansas City. It was about a 2,200 mile round way trip. On the interstate, I noticed my car was "bouncy", especially at slow highway speeds on an onramp bridge. I am not sure whether it was the road surface or whatever, but it was very bouncy. Is my suspension telling me I need to change it soon? (sorry if this is thread hijacking, if so just PM me the answer)

EDIT:
Couple things I have noticed...I am starting to have more rattles and creaks from the door panels or rear deck. One thing that is driving me crazy is the moonroof rattles when not open. Even with the "cover" over the glass, I still get the ratting. Is there any DIY fix or a TSB sheet I could look at to attempt it myself?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got 105,000 on my 07. No problems, "knock on wood", rear brakes are getting close to needing replacement but not yet (maybe fall). Doesn't use any oil, mileage 34-36 around town (lower in hot temps). On the highway get 38-40 depending on how loaded down! This has been a great car so far.

John

Old 06-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an update regarding oil consumption.

NOTE: I have 67k miles on the car and 90% of miles are highway in varying levels of traffic.

Instead of 0w20 Mobil1, I used Mobil1 EP 5w20 for my latest oil change (mid-March). This is their premium oil, so I figured it would do the best job cleaning oil rings.

I also wanted more scientific measurements of oil loss, so used a level and jack to make the car perfectly level. I measured the oil level after the oil change and engine warm-up.

Last weekend, I leveled the car after my commute home and measured the oil again after 2000 miles. Result: Little to no oil loss.

One or more of the following could be reasons for the improvement:
* With the car not being level, my past observations were skewed.
* The Mobil1 EP 5w20 higher viscosity reduced oil consumption.
* The Mobil1 EP cleaned the rings, stopping the oil loss.
* Colder weather before recent oil change caused more consumption.

I wish I could determine exactly what happened, but I am very happy that I am not measuring oil loss. The engine is as smooth and quiet as when it was new (unlike my wife's 120k mile 2002 Camry with it's 'chatty' valves).

Last edited by andrewbmoore; 06-19-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added approx date of last oil change.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Along for the ride.....

07 Camry Hybrid - 103K miles - so far the only issue has been a leaky water pump replaced under warranty. Otherwise just tires and routine care. I'm happy.

Quick Reply: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands