12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Go to any auto parts store and pick up a selection of Vacuum tube fittings. There are several types but for a straight size change, try to find one similar to these:

tubing size adapters

Or use this universal one:

1/8 to 3/8 adapter

Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

If one uses the Optima D35 as a replacement, where on it does one attach the temperature sensor to the battery? And how do you know that is the right area to attach it? Thanks!

Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtdavis
The only apparent issue remaining on whether to use the D35 is the issue of the venting, am I correct? Captain Jim feels it is not needed, Optima Jim is more cautious - at least from a legal point of view.
I would suggest it is a moot point in the 2012 TCH. The Toyota supplied battery has no vent, nor any vent tubing to connect even if you had a vent on the battery. It looks like Toyota's lawyers have changed their mind on the need.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

FWIW, my 2012 TCH does have a 12V battery with a vent, and a vent tube.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by restamp
FWIW, my 2012 TCH does have a 12V battery with a vent, and a vent tube.
Where is the vent, and what does it look like? I checked my battery a couple of times and can't find one. My motorcycle batteries have always had a vent, but I can't see anything similar on this one.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

The battery is a Panasonic. The vent is on the top side of the battery, behind the negative terminal, and faces the rear of the vehicle. A short black maybe 3/16" rubber hose runs from the battery vent to a nipple affixed to sheet metal behind the battery, which I suppose empties into the wheel well. I'll take a picture the next time I'm out in the garage.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by restamp
The battery is a Panasonic. The vent is on the top side of the battery, behind the negative terminal, and faces the rear of the vehicle. A short black maybe 3/16" rubber hose runs from the battery vent to a nipple affixed to sheet metal behind the battery, which I suppose empties into the wheel well. I'll take a picture the next time I'm out in the garage.
You are right. I totally missed it. Sorry for the confusion I caused.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, my battery has "bitten the dust". The symptoms started this summer with intermittent failures to 'boot up' the car when pushing the Start button. Today, I was able to get it going by turning the headlight switch to Off, but tonight I tried to make an emergency run for toilet paper (SWMBO was out, and not happy about it), and no start. It looks like tomorrow I'm going to have to go over to the local Checker for a D35. Hopefully, I can get a Red-top or Blue-top, rather than a Yellow-top. The bucks are a bit tight for a while.

Scott

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
If it is not too late, I would suggest using the D34 Yellow Top, or the 34M Blue Top.
On the Optima website I see a YellowTop D35 (as well as a D34) as well. Would the D34 be a better match than the D35 (both YellowTops) for the 2007 TCH?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
So, it is possible that the jump start incident took a toll on your battery. It likely would have seen much more than 5 amps charging at least for a short while, when you jumped it. If circumstances allow, and often they don't if you are stranded, it would be better to slowly charge the dead battery with a small charger of 3 amps or so. It will take some time, but should avoid permanent damage to the battery.
Would jumping using the jump points under the hood (they are available on the 2010 Prius not sure about the TCH though) preclude too high a current reaching the 12V battery in the trunk? IOW, never jump using the terminals on the 12V battery in the trunk, but only using the jump terminals in the engine compartment?

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands