$4.99 car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow $4.99 car insurance

My new license plates came this weekend. I picked up a $6.99 chrome frame for the front and rear plates (made by Bell, available at NAPA auto parts stores, and way cheaper than the $29.99 frames you'll find at most dealers). Front plates are required in CA, ugh.

The design is similar to most such frames, with a bent lip and sharp edge at the rear of the metal frame that would dig right into the bumper if anyone while parking ever backed into the Camry. Sooner or later, it always happens, and even a light bump would gouge the bumper's paint.

I went back to NAPA, and found that Bell also makes a $4.99 mounting kit that includes a 1/4" (maybe 3/8") flat plastic protective spacer that fits between the frame/plate and the car bumper. This greatly reduces the chance that a squished license plate could damage your bumper.

Where else can you get car insurance for just $4.99? Save your Camry's paint!

Old 06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Default Re: $4.99 car insurance

I don't have a Camry, but I do have chrome license plate frames on my vehicle. I noted pretty quickly that closing my Escape Hybrid's rear liftgate made the license plate frame rattle and hit my paint.

I removed the plates and frames (front & back) and applied a 1" wide strip of the "loop" portion of a roll of adhesive-backed Velcro around the edges of the license plate frames. The "loops" are softer than the "hooks" and I didn't need the Velcro for securing the plates, just to serve as a shock absorber. Result? No more rattling and no more potential for scratching. Applied carefully, the Velcro isn't visible as it runs right up to the edge of the plate frame but doesn't extend beyond it.

P.S. Your titles are terrific. I snapped this one up thinking, "Darn spammers. Another post to report!"

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-25-2006 at 03:15 PM. Reason: never seem to finish a thought without an edit or two.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Arrow Re: $4.99 car insurance

GeekGal, the Velcro Kid. That's a great idea. I think I'll buy a roll to protect my protector. Thanks for the titles kudo.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:19 PM

Velcro, one of the wonders of the modern world, right up there with Duct Tape

I also have a thin strip of Velcro serving as a seatbelt for a tiny Kermit the Frog pencil topper that sits on my rear view mirror. He went flying one day and lodged himself in the passenger door's map pocket, so some proactive safety restraints were in order!

Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I drove my car home from the dealer yesterday but it was pouring all day so I didn't pay much attention to the dealer applied plate advertisements (real NJ plates will get mailed to me). Today I took the dealers paper ad and plastic frames off to find that in the front they just used self taping screws to bore into the bumper. Is that normal or is there supposed to be a bracket? I assume its normal if I'm understanding Steve's first post correctly. On the back I see that Toyota put little rubber bumpers at the bottom so the plate will stand off from the paint.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:01 PM

You're correct... the self-tapping screws are normal, and that was the reason I wanted to find a spacer between the bumper and plate/frame. Each car arrives at the dealer with "outtie" dimples as guides where the front holes are drilled. You'll notice that the rear sheet metal has "outties" too, and they serve to guide where the rubber bumpers are placed.

Oops, forgot to say 'congrats' on your new car! Nice choice.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks man..... I was worried that the dealer just went drill happy.

Now, I'm pondering whether or not to take the "Hybrid" tags off. I really like the way yours came out, nice and clean. I'm also thinking about ordering the body side moldings just to help prevent those big doors from getting dinged. Its been raining since Friday here in NJ so I'll probably get some pics posted this weekend after a good washing.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I want the reverse, that destroys the other guy's paint, when he hits me.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by foo monkey
I want the reverse, that destroys the other guy's paint, when he hits me.
I like the way you think. Perhaps some reactive armor could be used. At the very least, something tied to a shock sensor to shoot perpetrators (vehicles or humans) with a barrage of paintball rounds?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Perhaps some reactive armor could be used.
¡ Holy @#$%, BatGal !

Quick Reply: $4.99 car insurance

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands