Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

I never thought I would see over 50mpg driving to work - I drive I-15 in San Diego. Cooler weather in the mid 70s and heavy freeway traffic bumped my mpg to 51mpg on the trip home last night. Traffic was heavy, not quite bumper to bumper, going between 25 and 40mph most the way home. I only stopped a few times. The TCH was frequently running in EV mode. I got home with 51mpg displayed

I seriously doubted I would still see over 50mpg this moring at work. But I did! I followed a semi car carrier most the way to work - running between 57 and 64mph. I was not drafting - I was frequently 3 to 4 seconds behind him. I'm not going to risk a $1200 windshield to gain a few mpg by drafting!

I filled up just before arriving at work yesterday, and drove the same route this morning. Here is a picture of the dash Tank Average display showing 51.6mpg after driving 75 miles!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

How many miles total on the car? That's pretty cool. I hope you can keep it up.

A few short trips around the neighborhood though will eat at that. I had 41mpg displayed after driving 100 miles and it quickly went down once I did not drive on longer trips.

Congrats!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 AM

that's really high. The only time I saw a display with a higher number was Xcel getting 64.7 on his test of the TCH.

Good job !!!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As I said when I saw the photo in the share section, this is EXCELLENT! Bravo!

Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

I believe you're driving in non typical conditions. Here in Atlanta it's hilly and you have serious stop and go driving. The best we have done so far is 35.6. I believe you can reach numbers in the forties if the roads are relatively flat and you go a long distance between stops.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by lem144
How many miles total on the car? That's pretty cool. I hope you can keep it up.

A few short trips around the neighborhood though will eat at that. I had 41mpg displayed after driving 100 miles and it quickly went down once I did not drive on longer trips.
The car has 3600 miles on it. I'd would be shocked if I could keep over 50mpg for a tank. The best I've managed is 45mpg for a tank. Short trips and A/C usage eat into the mpg and make it almost impossible. Oddly stop and go traffic doesn't seem to kill the mpg too badly if I'm not running the A/C. The 45mpg tank included a 2 1/2 hour crawl from a 3 car wreck and a 90 minute jam from an overturned truck, over a 20 mile section of freeway.

Originally Posted by lars-ss
The only time I saw a display with a higher number was Xcel getting 64.7 on his test of the TCH.
Whoa... how many miles was Xcel's test run? That is really amazing for a TCH.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

Great milage!! keep up the good work sk

Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by nash
Whoa... how many miles was Xcel's test run? That is really amazing for a TCH.
Seems like it was 27 miles.....

Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Great post

We can certainly all see the amazing MPG potential in this car.
I can't even remember the last time I filled mine up with gas...and that's not due to advancing age (or is it? I forget) LOL

What amazes me is that I really notice how fast people are driving. I look around me at all the cars passing me (smiling) and I can imagine all the gas being used up simply due to driving habits.

Has anyone notice a rattling sound when it's cold outside. I have not been able to pinpoint it, but it definetly is there when it's chilly. It seems to come from either the console or the sunroof....or both....anyone else in the evening chills of the North or NE notice it ?

Byron

Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ByronJames2003
Has anyone notice a rattling sound when it's cold outside. I have not been able to pinpoint it, but it definetly is there when it's chilly. It seems to come from either the console or the sunroof....or both....anyone else in the evening chills of the North or NE notice it ?
Byron
Back when it was cooler in Chicago I noticed it coming from the moonroof. I could reproduce it by bumping the palm of my hand against the left side of the roof trim opening. It hasn't happened since the heatwave started but it was really annoying when it was rattling.

Quick Reply: Amazing TCH mileage (how I broke 50mpg)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands