Asl

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Report back on possible ASL malfunction

Thanks for this info. Did you ask if we can change the threshold from 100 mph to 45 mph? There must be some (hidden) setup menu that we are not aware of.

Originally Posted by SPL
Well, after numerous e-mails back and forth to one of the JBL engineers at Harman-Becker Automotive in Martinsville, IN, I can report back as to what the Camry's audio system actually does:
  • The ASL is not malfunctioning, but is behaving as designed.
  • The ASL applies a mild speed-dependent overall volume boost, amounting to only +3.7 dB at 100 miles per hour.
  • The ASL also applies a mild speed-dependent boost of the low bass (around 40 Hz), amounting to +3.5 dB at 100 miles per hour.
  • The audio system applies substantial "loudness control-type" bass and treble boost as the volume control's setting is reduced from full volume. This amounts to +15 dB at ~40 Hz and +8 dB at ~10 kHz at the lowest volume settings (and much less, but still very significant, boosts at more normal volume settings).
This helps explain why some of us couldn't hear the ASL working — it's volume/bass boost are insufficient to be clearly audible on a lot of musical material, but may be heard on music with heavy low bass. I agree that a well-designed ASL system should be subtle in its operation. But this sytem is so subtle as to be almost undetectable when it's switched "on" and "off." That's what provoked this thread, I think. But, that's how it was designed to work! The "loudness control" treble boost function that is built-in (but not mentioned anywhere, as far as I am aware) is based on a misunderstanding of the human audibility (Fletcher-Munson or Robinson-Dadson) curves, and should really not occur. The "loudness control" bass boost is more justifiable, but whether or not it's the psycho-acoustically correct amount of boost will depend totally on where you have set your volume control, and since this will depend on the signal level being fed into the system by the audio source that you're listening to, it's a crap shoot.

So, there you have it!

Stan

Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Asl

supertester — I was not told about the existence of any user-changeable parameters inside the JBL amplifier. As I understand it, it's all hard-coded in the internal firmware. Sorry!

Stan

Old 01-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I... don't think I interpreted that chunk of information to mean it kicks in at 100 mph, just that the curve of increased volume relative to speed crosses the +3.5/+3.7 dB line at 100 mph. Lower increase at lower speeds. It's just an indication that the adjustment isn't substantial if it only changes that much over 100 mph.

But that's my interpretation.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 AM
SPL

chestr's interpretation is correct. I'm not at liberty to release the ASL curve to you, but I can tell you that, as a function of speed, it goes through the following points:
  • 0.0 dB gain boost at 0 mph
  • 1.2 dB gain boost at 25 mph
  • 1.9 dB gain boost at 50 mph
  • 3.0 dB gain boost at 75 mph
  • 3.7 dB gain boost at 100 mph
If you plot a curve through these points, you will see that the gain curve flattens out by 100 mph, and so doesn't increase much beyond this point (not that you should be interested in speeds above 100 mph!). It's basically a slowly rising gain boost as a function of the car's speed.

Stan

Old 01-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Pragmatist

The ASL is not malfunctioning, but is behaving as designed. ... The ASL applies a mild speed-dependent overall volume boost, amounting to only +3.7 dB at 100 miles per hour.
If you have a chance to talk with that JBL engineer again -- please give him a suggestion:

The ASL is intended to adjust the stereo volume to compensate for the increase in noise level due to vehicle speed. However, the actual increase in ambient noise is clearly greater than the amount they are compensating for in this vehicle.

Perhaps they should measure the amount by which real drivers actually turn up the volume while driving at speed, and correlate that volume setting with vehicle speed. Then design the next generation of ASL to do the same thing. It might even be necessary to do some experiments in the same model of vehicle for which they are designing the stereo.

The amount of ASL compensation should also be adjustable. Some drivers like more than others. And the roads in some counties are rougher and make more noise than the roads in other counties. Give us a range adjustment, instead of or in addition to the on/off switch. Or, use a sensor to measure the actual ambient noise dynamically.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
The amount of ASL compensation should also be adjustable. Some drivers like more than others. And the roads in some counties are rougher and make more noise than the roads in other counties. Give us a range adjustment, instead of or in addition to the on/off switch. Or, use a sensor to measure the actual ambient noise dynamically.
Yeah even good roads can vary a lot just by surface material. It's mostly asphalt here but there are places with concrete and that seems to generate more tire/surface noise. In my opinion (and from my recollection, which is a bit faded on the topic, hehe).

Old 01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
SPL

SteveHansen — Your suggestions are good, and I had already made similar suggestions quite strongly to my JBL contact. The problem is that just raising the overall volume as a function of speed (as the ASL does) is a suboptimal strategy. First, the 3.7 dB of gain boost at high speeds is too little. Second, if one boosts the volume by the amount required in order that the quiet musical passages remain audible above the background noise at high speed, the loud passages become unbearably loud. I actually went on to suggest that what is needed is a compressor that raises the level of the quiet passages while leaving the loud passages unchanged. The amount of compression should be user-adjustable. Philips incorporated just such a compressor into their very first car CD player in 1982 or 1983! Why isn't one offered now, 25 years later? That's what I think JBL should persuade Toyota to let them do!

Stan