Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Hi GreenHybrid Community,

I know this is an old thread and this is a long shot but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I just finished the install of the reverse Camera and used the reverse lights as the power source. I fed the video RCA cable to the back of the head unit and separated it. I connected the outer shield to PIN 23 and the video input into PIN 22 as per the original post but the screen doesn't recognise the camera when put into reverse .

The problems I've read about is in regards to the screen being blurry when switched to the be careful of surroundings screen but mine doesn't shift to that screen at all and I can't work out why, does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried hooking up a DVD player and splicing the RCA cable using the same method and plugged that into the back of the Nav but nothing happens - do you think I'm not inserting the pin far enough? I honestly have no idea and if any of you could help me I would appreciate it so much as it's really doing my head in.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast

Harlo,
To troubleshoot why it is not showing video, the first step is to make sure that there is video coming through the wires. Find an lcd or something you can plug your video feed into to confirm that indeed video is coming through the wires. If no video then the problem is not how it is connected to the NAV unit, If good video, then the problem is how it is connected to the NAV unit.

If your test shows you are getting good video through the wires, then it is most likely the pins going into pins 22 & 23 of the original post are not making contact, not going deep enough.

Originally Posted by Harlo
Hi GreenHybrid Community,

I know this is an old thread and this is a long shot but I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I just finished the install of the reverse Camera and used the reverse lights as the power source. I fed the video RCA cable to the back of the head unit and separated it. I connected the outer shield to PIN 23 and the video input into PIN 22 as per the original post but the screen doesn't recognise the camera when put into reverse .

The problems I've read about is in regards to the screen being blurry when switched to the be careful of surroundings screen but mine doesn't shift to that screen at all and I can't work out why, does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried hooking up a DVD player and splicing the RCA cable using the same method and plugged that into the back of the Nav but nothing happens - do you think I'm not inserting the pin far enough? I honestly have no idea and if any of you could help me I would appreciate it so much as it's really doing my head in.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe.B
Harlo,
If your test shows you are getting good video through the wires, then it is most likely the pins going into pins 22 & 23 of the original post are not making contact, not going deep enough.
Yep, it works well when plugged into the TV. I used the PC CD-ROM plugs as suggested, do you think I have to push them in further? I already have them deep enough so that the metal bits don't stick out. How will I know if it's properly connected to the terminal, I'm not sure what it connects to exactly in there...?

I've also read that the GPS checks if you have a camera upon start up so it checks if anything's connected to the 6V output but mines plugged into the reverse lights so only turned on when the car's in reverse, would that be a problem (although I've read other people have this setup and it's been fine)?

There's nothing to reset in the headunit is there for it to recognise the camera?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

Harlo,
I suspect you just need to push the pins in deeper, as I recall this required more force than one might think at first.
I do think it matters where the 6v for your camera comes from.
There is no resetting that goes on as far as I know, once connected the video immediately appears.
Good luck!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast

I do think it matters where the 6v for your camera comes from.
Good luck!
Thanks,

So is yours hooked up to the 6v directly?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the tip, meant to say:
I do NOT think it matters where the 6v for your camera comes from

Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the tip, meant to say:
I do NOT think it matters where the 6v for your camera comes from
So the headunit doesn't detect that power is being drawn, rather that it's receiving video?

Do you know if the camera has to be active upon start up for the navigation unit to detect it?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

My understanding is:
No, the headunit providing power does not matter.
No, Does not matter if the camera is active at start up; when it is active NAV will detect it?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast

Brilliant, thank you. I forgt to ask, what did you.use as pins for the wires? I'm using the ends of a cd rom connector from a computer and I'm wondering if there's anything else better?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

I used the same pins

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands