Barcelona Red TCH w/Backup Sensors???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Barcelona Red TCH w/Backup Sensors???

I had 4 ParkPilot sensors installed on my 07 TCH (Desert Sand) in December.

The sensors were ordered to match the car. I ordered the sensors from a Sanford, Florida, Toyota dealer. They then installed them.

The total cost of the installation: ParkPilot System with 2 extra sensors and installation kit: 361.57. Installation by Toyota: 142.43.

Although the the Toyota Parts ParkPilot page shows only 2 sensors, I opted for the 2 extra sensors to give me a wider "view" than only directly behind the car.

As MickeysPal says, this system only "beeps", but it is easy to tell what zone an object is in.

The only caveat I would offer: The system comes with a black, cheap, ugly push button (a la 1980's Radio Shack) to temporarily disable the system. Have the installers put the switch in a non-visible area (such as under the dash -- like the ECO switch is). My installer put it on the console, on the small plate just to the rear of the shift lever. It really cheapens the look of the interior. (I'll probably move the switch an replace the panel during the summer months when the weather is better.

If desired, I could take pictures, but I don't know how to attach it to the posts (yet).

Oh, yes, -- for tnsig, they are put in a hole drillled into the facing of the bumper.

Never mind, I see that MickeysPal has just sent pictures.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:23 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

JHSmith — The Toyota "Park Pilot" (aka "Park Assist") Installation Instructions show that the recommended place for the "disable" button is on the lower dash to the right of the ECO button. Yours should have been mounted there. Don't these guys read instructions? The cable harness has four connectors and the electronics module expects to have all four of the piezo-electric ultrasonic sensors connected, so don't use fewer.

Stan

Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Help... Can someone provide a US dealer's name that has installed Park Pilot (tm) on a TCH?

My (SET - Southeast Toyota) dealer's parts 'system' says that Park Pilot can be installed on all 2007 Camrys. However, when he attempted installation, the instructions in the SET installation kit contradicted their parts 'system' info and stated that the kit could not be installed on a Hybrid. So... my dealer aborted the installation. He talked to SET support and they advised that the reinforcement behind the TCH rear bumper is different than other Camrys and that is why the Park Pilot kit could not be installed. I looked at other Camrys on my dealers lot and could not see any difference in the rear bumper reinforcement. Sounds 'hoakey'....

I know that the Gulf States Toyota website allows Park Pilot to be configured on a TCH and that both DROID13 and SPL had Park Pilot installed by their dealers in Canada.

I'd like to provide my dealer with the name of another dealer that has experience installing Park Pilot on a TCH. Hopefully this will assure my dealer that Park Pilot can be installed on my TCH. Can anyone help by providing a dealer's name?

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
Help... Can someone provide a US dealer's name that has installed Park Pilot (tm) on a TCH?

I'd like to provide my dealer with the name of another dealer that has experience installing Park Pilot on a TCH. Hopefully this will assure my dealer that Park Pilot can be installed on my TCH. Can anyone help by providing a dealer's name?

Thanks in advance...
Walt,

I had David Maus Toyota/Scion of Sanford, FL (davidmaustoyota.com 407-831-9788) order and install my ParkPilot back-up sensors in December.

Two items I would INSIST upon: 1) tell them to be SURE they give you the operating instructions (a small 5x8 laminated card) -- it tells about the different sounds and the ranges and 2) have them be SURE to mount the black over-ride button under the dash (near the ECO switch) or on other side of steering column (DavidMaus idiot put it on the console -- on small panel between gear shift and armrest -- looks so Radio-Shackish ). Oh, also have them make print-out from the ParkPilot Parts & Accessory Information web-site about the purpose of the over-ride button.

My Points-Of-Contact:
"Dr. Howard" -- Parts Dept. -- Very knowledgeable and helpful
Kenneth C. Grosse -- Service Manager

Last edited by JHSmith; 02-10-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typo: Meant 5x8 card NOT 5x58 card
Old 02-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JHSmith
Walt,

I had David Maus Toyota/Scion of Sanford, FL (davidmaustoyota.com 407-831-9788) order and install my ParkPilot back-up sensors in December.

Two items I would INSIST upon: 1) tell them to be SURE they give you the operating instructions (a small 5x58 laminated card) -- it tells about the different sounds and the ranges and 2) have them be SURE to mount the black over-ride button under the dash (near the ECO switch) or on other side of steering column (DavidMaus idiot put it on the console -- on small panel between gear shift and armrest -- looks so Radio-Shackish ). Oh, also have them make print-out from the ParkPilot Parts & Accessory Information web-site about the purpose of the over-ride button.

My Points-Of-Contact:
"Dr. Howard" -- Parts Dept. -- Very knowledgeable and helpful
Kenneth C. Grosse -- Service Manager
John, thanks for the info!!! Your response is really appreciated.

I'll have my dealer (Leith Toyota/Scion of Raleigh, NC) contact David Maus Toyota/Scion. Hopefully this will reassure him enough to do the installation. They are both SET dealers, so this should help (e.g., they both have access to the same parts systems and tech support resources).

I know what you mean about the mounting location for the override button. I looked at the instructions in SET ParkPilot 'base kit' (P/N 00016-00034) and they clearly state that the button should be mounted near the ECO switch. Sounds like your installer wasn't paying enough attention to the installation instructions.

So far, I've really had an interesting odyssey trying to get ParkPilot installed. Some things I've learned...
  • ParkPilot (R) is available from SET, Gulf States, Canadian and probably other Toyota dealers, but some dealers install alternative backup sensor systems (e.g., Green Hawaii's dealer apparently installs EchoMaster). Depending on the system installed, the coverage area, alert indicator and placement of the beeper may differ.
  • ParkPilot (R) is a trademark of and manufactured by Rostra Precision Controls, Inc. of Laurinburg, NC. Bosch also markets a product named "Park Pilot", however, Toyota dealers are using Park Pilot from Rostra.
  • Rostra markets directly to the SET, Gulf States, Canada, etc. organizations, not to Toyota itself.
  • SET, Gulf States & Canada purchase and stock ParkPilot components using their own unique P/Ns.
    • P/Ns that begin with '00016-' belong to SET
    • P/Ns that begin with '00012-' belong to Gulf States
    • P/Ns that begin with ??? belong to Canada
  • Based on the marketing agreements in place between Rostra and the applicable Toyota organization, ParkPilot components available in some areas may not be available in other areas (e.g., Barcelona Red -3R3- sensors are available from Gulf States dealers but not from SET dealers).
  • The ParkPilot kits installed by SET, Gulf States and Canadian dealers include a switch (and relay) that allow the system to be turned off. After market ParkPilot kits, available from sources other than Toyota dealers, may not include the switch/relay. They do, however, use the same electronic control module and sensors.
  • Rostra markets ParkPilot (R) to non-Toyota organizations (e.g., Detroit).

Last edited by MickeysPal; 02-10-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Update Rostra trademark info.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Barcelona Red TCH w/Backup Sensors???

Well... my dealer refused to install Park Pilot on my TCH, even though I was able to direct him to another Southeast (SET) dealer that had installed Park Pilot on a JHSMITH's TCH without any problems.

The instructions in the SET Park Pilot base kit (P/N 00016-00034) state the option is "Not compatible with Hybrid model", so my dealer cited liability concerns with installing the feature (even though he could see no technical reason that would prevent successful installation).

So, I purchased the parts (base kit, 4 sensors and template) from my dealer and then had an auto accessory shop install them. The only glitch they encountered was that the "Off" switch could not be mounted where the instructions specified. The instructions specify mounting the switch where the "Fuel Filler Door" button is located. (The release for the fuel filler doors on non-hybrid Camry's must be located elsewhere?) I had my installer locate the switch on the trim panel to the left of the parking brake.

"Off" switch location...

Barcelona Red Backup Sensors and BEC 105 Camera

Last edited by MickeysPal; 02-14-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Correct image link