Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Blue & White TCH on patrol (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/blue-white-tch-patrol-19862/)

BOFH 09-24-2008 12:36 PM

Re: Blue & White TCH on patrol

Originally Posted by Pete4 (Post 187735)
... hopefully they over ride governor artificially limiting speed to 120MPH...

I thought the 120 (ish) mph limit was a function of the MG being redlined at that speed. IF I'm remebering correctly, then they would not be able to remove that speed limit.

donvaz 09-24-2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jg013c (Post 187622)
I saw white TCH taxi cabs in Boston last week.

In Vancouver BC, between 5-10% of all cabs are TCH's and Prius.

haroldo 09-24-2008 03:22 PM

NY has a 5 year plan to go 100% hybrid taxis

FastMover 09-24-2008 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 187618)
Just pray that the trooper is a hypermiler. This way if he has to chase you he wont accelerate too quickly and he'll set the car to cruise control http://www3.b92.net/ipb_images/style...ult/tongue.gif

ROTFL -- I had this vision of a hypermiler traffic cop chasing a hypermiller speeder in a Prius. Both accelerating at some very small number of feet/sec/sec to keep the FE up, cop has siren off to save energy and only one light flashing. Neither one would exceed 42 MPH in the downtown area to stay EV mode, and both would be in the right lane with traffic passing on the freeway while they scoot along at 55 or so.

One thing about Hawaii though -- the cop eventually wins because there is no where to go. No need for high speed persuit. The California TV statons are not gonna like this!

haroldo 09-24-2008 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by FastMover (Post 187763)
...a hypermiller speeder ...

Is that an oxymoron?
Maybe he'll get ticketed for driving 40 MPH on a 65 MPH road?

FastMover 09-24-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 187766)
Is that an oxymoron?
Maybe he'll get ticketed for driving 40 miles per hour on a 65 MPH road?

That's what made me grin -- a slo' mo' world.

Pete4 09-24-2008 08:28 PM

believe it or not, I actually witnessed such a chase few years ago. I was somewhere in South East, NC or VA not sure now, in some small town eating breakfast at McDonald around 7 am when I saw this car going maybe 40 MPH, being chased by 2 police cars. It was really weird, the person being chased even put signal lights when making turn at intersection. About 5 min later they came back, going opposite way, guy up front with 2 police cars chasing him behind with lights flashing, but moving slooow. It was so unreal, like watching slow motion video. If I had to make a guess I think the person must have been on some drugs where his perception of speed was highly impaired and cops didn't want to turn it into bloody mess by being more aggressive, especially in the middle of town.

ice 09-25-2008 12:28 AM

Yay! Patrols cars I guess should really be much faster than those Camrys... Just like the Dodge charger.. hehehe. :D

tbone526 09-25-2008 05:06 AM

Maybe this is why that famous white Ford Bronco was going so slowly back in '91. It was actually an early prototype they were testing for maximum MPG?