Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Camry hybrid 2009 strange whining noise (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/camry-hybrid-2009-strange-whining-noise-30495/)

nass_a_b 09-11-2015 08:58 AM

Camry hybrid 2009 strange whining noise

Hi all,
My car is 2009 Camry Hybrid with exactly 100000 miles.
I began experiencing a problem lately.
I noticed a strange whining noise on the left side that gets louder with speed.
I took the car to the dealership and they told me that I should replace the tires. The dealership's response was strange so I didn't do what they said and of course the sound that I started hearing doesn't have anything to do with the tires because they were already installed and there was no noise in the past.
I then took the car to a hybrid mechanic which told me that the problem is in the transmission!!
after all, I went to a friend, raised the car and removed the left wheel and removed the brake caliper and the brake pads and started the car after disabling traction control and started rolling the wheels, the sound didn't come out of the wheel bearing...
I noticed that the sound appears when the gas engine kicks in!!
The sound seems like metal whining...
did anyone face this problem?
and what is the part that is broken in your opinion??

I would appreciate any input.
Thanks allot in advance.

GeorgiaHybrid 09-11-2015 05:18 PM

Re: Camry hybrid 2009 strange whining noise

This is like looking up a chest pain symptom on the internet.... a chest pain could be heart burn, a heart attack, stomach cancer, an ulcer or a simple pulled muscle....

You need to take the car to a GOOD tech that understands Toyota hybrids and find out what is going on. It could be as simple as an output shaft bearing to a major issue in the tranny. Diagnosing something like this over the internet is nothing more than a bunch of "I heard of this" or "it could be this" without anything being diagnosed correctly.

Edit:

if you just want a WAG, take a look at the left side half shaft CV joints.

nass_a_b 09-12-2015 01:39 AM

Thank you GeorgiaHybrid for your help.
Unfortunately, I can't find any decent hybrid mechanic that doesn't want to rip me off!!
This is the main reason I am searching over the internet, and I also realize that you are correct regarding this issue "That it will all be about guessing".

I haven't noticed anyone online that experienced a problem with a Camry Hybrid transmission, so I decided to ask around to see if anyone has had similar problems.

I also had the whole front handling system (CV joints and related parts) checked, I got a clean sheet (Everything is in perfect shape).

ukrkoz 09-12-2015 07:11 AM

OP, why don't you rent a lift, get her up in the air and turn engine on so that wheels actually spin? Then get under and pinpoint where noise is coming from?
If noise is there with wheels NOT turning, it's either one of MGs or one of the engine bearings. If the noise is coming WITH wheels turning, then you can think of output shaft bearings or differential bearings or even hub bearings.
Lift can be rented for around $40 or so an hour.

nass_a_b 12-23-2015 02:00 AM

Hi guys,
Just an update.
I finally found the time to replace left wheel bearings and unfortunately, the whining sound didn't go away.
In the coming week, I will work on the transmission (PSD).
Will post updates.

litespeed 12-29-2015 09:43 AM

Yea, I have to agree with GH on this one. Diagnosing noises on the internet is a little ridiculous. What sounds like a "whine" to you might be considered a "screech" or "groan" to someone else.

There are still some things to check before you start messing with the Transaxle. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the half shafts on both sides. The shaft on the passenger side also has a "carrier bearing" that is just about in the middle of the car behind the engine and below the intake manifold (transaxle is offset to drivers side).

That is odd for sure?.... You say that the noise is not there until the engine is on? I would not hurt to check your idler and carrier bearings over by the water pump as well. Those noises can travel all around the engine bay and it can be hard to tell where they come from. The carrier bearing is a PITA to get to and you need to remove the wheel and part of the fender liner to get to it. I recently found that both of mine needed replacing, but I have high miles, so expected. You have low mileage, but you never know, it's worth checking.

I had something strange happen recently that happened about the same time my AC died. I kept hearing a rubbing noise that sounded like metal to metal rubbing. I just assumed that the AC compressor had croaked. Man was I wrong! One of the electric radiator fans went bad and the noise was the motor coming apart inside. I got lucky on that one. Hopefully you will find out it is something simple and not ridiculously expensive to fix.

Keep us posted on what you find!

nass_a_b 12-29-2015 10:19 AM

I just got the car out from the mechanic..
He replaced the whole PSD with another one and the sound disappeared...
However, as soon as I got home, a "check hybrid system" warning and check engine came up..
I noticed that both cooling fans on the radiator are on..
I checked the coolant for both engines and it's level is fine...

I will take the car back and update the status

nass_a_b 12-29-2015 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by litespeed (Post 258643)
Yea, I have to agree with GH on this one. Diagnosing noises on the internet is a little ridiculous. What sounds like a "whine" to you might be considered a "screech" or "groan" to someone else.

There are still some things to check before you start messing with the Transaxle. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the half shafts on both sides. The shaft on the passenger side also has a "carrier bearing" that is just about in the middle of the car behind the engine and below the intake manifold (transaxle is offset to drivers side).

That is odd for sure?.... You say that the noise is not there until the engine is on? I would not hurt to check your idler and carrier bearings over by the water pump as well. Those noises can travel all around the engine bay and it can be hard to tell where they come from. The carrier bearing is a PITA to get to and you need to remove the wheel and part of the fender liner to get to it. I recently found that both of mine needed replacing, but I have high miles, so expected. You have low mileage, but you never know, it's worth checking.

I had something strange happen recently that happened about the same time my AC died. I kept hearing a rubbing noise that sounded like metal to metal rubbing. I just assumed that the AC compressor had croaked. Man was I wrong! One of the electric radiator fans went bad and the noise was the motor coming apart inside. I got lucky on that one. Hopefully you will find out it is something simple and not ridiculously expensive to fix.

Keep us posted on what you find!

Thanks a lot for your input.
I will keep you updated.

litespeed 12-29-2015 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by nass_a_b (Post 258646)
Thanks a lot for your input.
I will keep you updated.

Thanks for updating us! Assuming you used a salvage PSD?

nass_a_b 12-30-2015 12:52 AM

Yes, it was a salvage PSD.