Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Car & Driver Review Now Online (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/car-driver-review-now-online-7164/)

TOHHybrid 05-04-2006 08:58 AM

Car & Driver Review Now Online

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...ry-hybrid.html

This is the first Hybrid they really liked.

Jacky 05-04-2006 09:16 AM

Re: Car & Driver Review Now Online

Originally Posted by TOHHybrid
This is the first Hybrid they really liked.

After reading the review, I would probably say that they are more hyped about the new Camry in general than the Hybrid specifically. They mention that you get about 33MPG and that you will have to travel "six-digit distances" to even come close to making up the cost difference...

TOHHybrid 05-04-2006 10:33 AM

They do not take into account government rebates when calculating break-even. If you do, it is easy to figure out that the Hybrids generate savings right away.

CGameProgrammer 05-04-2006 11:06 AM

They also estimated the price at $30k when the base model is $25900. For comparison, the V-6 LE is $23040 and the V-6 XLE is $27520. The hybrid, of course, is closer to the XLE in amenities than the LE, and it's fast, though not V-6 fast.

Specifically, here's everything a standard XLE has than a standard hybrid does not (things the hybrid optionally has are marked with an asterisk):

Fog lamps
Heated mirrors*
Moonroof*
Special fabric trim
Woodgrain surfaces
Power passenger seat
Auto-up for the driver's window
Rear window sunshade
Trunk luggage box
Alarm
Rear reading lights
Illuminated vanity mirrors with dimmer

Here's what the hybrid has standard that the standard XLE does not (things the XLE optionally has are marked with an asterisk):

Noise-reducing front windshield
Mileage display
Smart Key System & Push Button Start*
Traction Control*

TOHHybrid 05-04-2006 11:22 AM

According to Road & Track, the Camry Hybrid is 1.2 seconds slower to 60mph vs the V6, but uses 40% less gas than the V6.

That's an awesome tradeoff! You won't notice the acceleration difference realistically, but you will notice your gas bills cut in half!

Jacky 05-04-2006 11:50 AM

The Camry Hybrid looks like a great car (leaps and bounds better than the 06 Accord Hybrid, which is a joke of a car), but in my opinion the trend should be bigger and stronger battery packs that give you ridiculously high gas mileage and performance. Not battery packs that give you a whopping 5MPG more than the regular version. I guess I just had too high of hopes for the Camry Hybrid.

Jacky 05-04-2006 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
They also estimated the price at $30k when the base model is $25900.

That was an "estimated price as tested" value, which means it probably had options on it. Most Camrys will be configured to 30K when you add popular options.

CGameProgrammer 05-04-2006 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jacky
The Camry Hybrid looks like a great car (leaps and bounds better than the 06 Accord Hybrid, which is a joke of a car), but in my opinion the trend should be bigger and stronger battery packs that give you ridiculously high gas mileage and performance. Not battery packs that give you a whopping 5MPG more than the regular version. I guess I just had too high of hopes for the Camry Hybrid.

Bigger battery packs won't matter that much because you still have to recharge it. If you double the battery capacity, it's worthless in the long run unless you somehow double the amoung of energy you can get back through regeneration (without decreasing fuel economy in the process) and that's the tricky part.

phoebeisis 05-04-2006 05:42 PM

If it gets 33mpg and the normal 4cyl gets 22 then it would breakeven at 88,000 miles-$3/gal gas. 22mpg is plausible in mixed city driving for a Camry(CR got 16 with the old Camry, they will probably get 26 for the camry Hybrid). This assumes a $4000 hybrid premium, but ignores any tax credit.Luck,Charlie

TOHHybrid 05-05-2006 05:30 AM

You need to take into account the government credits!
And I would use 37 mpg combined for the Camry Hybrid - this is what Road & Track got in mixed driving. If you drive carefully, you will get better.
Look- the CH is 40% better than a Camry V6. With the tax credit, the price is the same. It's a no-brainer guys (assuming your state has the tax credit)