View Poll Results: (Please tell the truth) When I am driving, most of the time...
I keep my cell phone turned off
14.49%
I use my cell phone using my car's blue tooth system
78.26%
I use my cell phone with a wireless headset
0%
I use my cell phone with a wired headset
2.90%
I use my cell phone by holding it up to my head
1.45%
Other
2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Dialing and Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Dialing and Driving

I think it goes without saying that drivers using cell phones are dangerous.
Just wondering what the habits of this forum's readers are.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Default Re: Dialing and Driving

The use of cell phones by people who already cannot drive is dangerous.

Actually, I find messing with the stupid Bluetooth system takes more time and concentration than me just getting the phone, punching in the number with one finger, and talking. That said, using the BT system to answer a call is far easier because you don't have to find the phone.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 AM

I use BT and the only calls I make are either the ones on my speed dial (6 people), voice dial (20) or on a very rare occassion, the ones preprogrammed onto my Treo's buttons (26 people, although they overlap with the people programmed into the car). One of the advantages of being unpopular!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 AM

I LOVE the bluetooth. I override the NAV (using v6.1 with loading file from v5.1) when I start out, then only use the car's bluetooth for any calls made (extremely few) or received (few) while driving. This allows access to the phone book, but speed dial numbers are available without override. The best thing about override in relation to bluetooth is that it allows "transfer call" which is greyed out normaly while driving. So if I need to take an incoming call private (rare) for the benefit of the caller, I can do so easily without stopping the car.

With that said, I rarely receive or make calls in the car. (I'm also not very popular!)

Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

My phone is off in the car. I don't feel the need to be in constant communication with the world.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM

I love the bluetooth as well. I typically use the voice-recognition for my most commonly called numbers as I don;t like looking down at the NAV screen to push a speed-dial button. I think the voice-recognition is almost flawless. I have used it on occasion to dial-by-number as well, althought that doesn't come up often. The trick there, I find, is to say the number naturally, allowing the digits to run together, rather than trying to say each digit distinctly.

I do wish that the voice-recognition would recognize a key word or phrase instead of requiring a button-press for everything though.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 AM

I'm sure someone can debunk this, but...

Drivers on Cell Phones Are as Bad as Drunks

Utah Psychologists Warn Against Cell Phone Use While Driving

June 29, 2006 -- Three years after the preliminary results first were presented at a scientific meeting and drew wide attention, University of Utah psychologists have published a study showing that motorists who talk on handheld or hands-free cellular phones are as impaired as drunken drivers.

"We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit” of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. “If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving.”

Psychology Professor David Strayer, the study's lead author, adds: “Just like you put yourself and other people at risk when you drive drunk, you put yourself and others at risk when you use a cell phone and drive. The level of impairment is very similar.”

“Clearly the safest course of action is to not use a cell phone while driving,” concludes the study by Strayer, Drews and Dennis Crouch, a research associate professor of pharmacology and toxicology. The study was set for publication June 29 in the summer 2006 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society...

Read more here

Old 01-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'm sure someone can debunk this, but...

Read more here
In my opinion, that is weak. What about all of the people who get into accidents who are not drunk and not using their phone. It is propaganda.

Especially "or hands-free cellular phones are as impaired as drunken drivers." How is talking on the phone any different than talking to someone in the car (if you are using hands-free)?

What about those DVD players and game consoles that are showing up more than more. The radio? We have all seen those people going nuts singing to themselves....

Mind you, anything that distracts us is bad and I do see a lot of stupid things done by people on phones. That said, I have seen a fair share of people reading and using computers while driving.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 01-25-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Or applying makeup, or... Yeah I have to say hands-free of whatever sort, should be far better than intoxication. You have two hands on the wheel (generally, or as much as you normally would), you don't even have a passenger to be looking at while you talk. Are passengers going to be outlawed too as dangerous distractions? I do agree that holding it to your ear is pretty bad--attention distracted, limited control--but talking at all shouldn't be mutually incompatible with looking where you're going. A minor distraction, sometimes, sure, but if you have full control of the car and eyes on the road, two things that shouldn't be a problem with hands-free, then level of distraction should be minor....

Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM

I don't have any scientific proof of this, but I noticed that I am more distracted when talking on the bluetooth system than I am when talking with someone in the car. Not sure what it is, but I believe talking on a cell phone requires a higher degree of concentration than talking with people next to you.
I may be nuts, but there is no question, my reaction time and reflexes are definitely affected.

Quick Reply: Dialing and Driving

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands