Driving to Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving to Mexico?

Originally Posted by tecis
hehe of the camry 2007 i nearly do not have any part actually, I'm always a year behind the new models on the market..

best wishes so far..

FLORIAN

I'm really not happy that after buying a car to save gas, the first long trip I want to go on, namely Toronto to Mexico I can't use it! Unfortunately when I bought the car last November I had no idea that I would want to drive it to Mexico. Just a couple more questions before I give up on the idea,
1) Is there an auto club in Mexico that I could join that may help if there was a problem?
2) Do you have any idea how much it would cost to tow the car to the US border, about 1200 km, (750 miles)? Or maybe the best idea would be to rent a vehicle down there so I could tow it to the border with myself? Once in Texas I assume I would have no problem finding a Toyota dealer with trained TCH technicians.
Note I bought a Toyota because of its reliable reputation so that I don't think the chances of having a problem in the two to three months I will be in Mexico would be high, particularly as I don't plan to do a lot of driving once I reach Lake Chapala, south of Guadalajara, I just want to have a backup plan in case something does go wrong.

Last edited by Paulgw; 04-04-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Driving to Mexico?

Paul, please forgive me for repeating this advice: Forget about taking your car to Mexico. The roads alone will abuse your car terribly. In Mexico, a nice car will make you suceptible to many types of crime. The gasoline will likely harm your smog equipment, or worse. And just wait until you see how they drive. I had a friend who had over 20 surgeries and was in a coma for nine months after being hit by a drunk driver there. I know friends who have had their cars taken from them at gunpoint at intersections in Mexico City. Mexico is not Canada, but can be a great place if you leave your nice car and all jewelry at home.

Oh, and if you park it on the street there, don't let it out of your sight even for a few minutes. There is always a thief on the lookout for nice white folk. And don't think about calling the police to help. I've had friends who were taken by the police and forced to withdraw money from their ATM accounts, then beat up and left unconscious. Police in Mexico are not your friends, and won't bat an eye if your car gets broken into.

Lake Chapala is a good place for Americans, and generally safe. But you will never need a car there, as you can VERY economically take a taxi or a pesero bus (as do 95% of all Mexicans). Wherever you go, even between cities, there is very good public transportation. It's best to adapt to the country, not vice versa.

Take it from those of us who have lived there and know the pitfalls. I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take a car of mine to Mexico. Now I live within minutes of Tijuana, and I never drive my car there. Even the rules of insurance don't apply. And by the way, don't be surprised if a police pulls you over in your Camry and hands you a bag of cocaine before arresting you for possession. I have seen it happen.

I don't understand why the strong attachment to having your car there. But if you take it, best of luck. Once there, you will remember our advice and understand.

Last edited by stevenvillatoro; 04-04-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Paul, please forgive me for repeating this advice: Forget about taking your car to Mexico. The roads alone will abuse your car terribly. In Mexico, a nice car will make you suceptible to many types of crime. The gasoline will likely harm your smog equipment, or worse. And just wait until you see how they drive. [...]
Paulgw: as a previous Mexican resident for quite some time, I agree 100% with Steve's advice... There are many reasons why I'm still fond of that country, but it is REALLY not smart to even consider driving your brand new TCH down there (as noted in the quote above).

Last edited by HybridFan; 04-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Driving to Mexico?

The toll roads that you'll find between the border and all major towns have rescue services for vehicles that break or run out of gas. However, for passenger cars the toll roads are nearly as expensive (cha-ching-a) as the airfare to get to your city-of-choice!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
I'm really not happy that after buying a car to save gas, the first long trip I want to go on, namely Toronto to Mexico I can't use it! Unfortunately when I bought the car last November I had no idea that I would want to drive it to Mexico. Just a couple more questions before I give up on the idea,
1) Is there an auto club in Mexico that I could join that may help if there was a problem?
2) Do you have any idea how much it would cost to tow the car to the US border, about 1200 km, (750 miles)? Or maybe the best idea would be to rent a vehicle down there so I could tow it to the border with myself? Once in Texas I assume I would have no problem finding a Toyota dealer with trained TCH technicians.
Note I bought a Toyota because of its reliable reputation so that I don't think the chances of having a problem in the two to three months I will be in Mexico would be high, particularly as I don't plan to do a lot of driving once I reach Lake Chapala, south of Guadalajara, I just want to have a backup plan in case something does go wrong.
i was jsut speaking with one tow service here.

they would cover you more less (mexican arnswer for maximum !) 14000 pesos, these are 1200 dollars for leon (big city in GTO.) to Laredo, United States with security included.
Price from GDL the same...

auto club is not existing here, they have something called angeles verdes - green angels on the toll roads and main freeways, service only when its not dark !!! monday to saturday.

normally they will bring your car then to a pension, there you need to pay and so on....
so better if you have the number of a toyota dealership ready
which is located in GDL.

best wishes so far from leon

FLORIAN

Old 04-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=tecis;119550]i was jsut speaking with one tow service here.

they would cover you more less (mexican arnswer for maximum !) 14000 pesos, these are 1200 dollars for leon (big city in GTO.) to Laredo, United States with security included.
Price from GDL the same...

auto club is not existing here, they have something called angeles verdes - green angels on the toll roads and main freeways, service only when its not dark !!! monday to saturday.

normally they will bring your car then to a pension, there you need to pay and so on....
so better if you have the number of a toyota dealership ready
which is located in GDL.

best wishes so far from leon

FLORIAN[/quote]

Thanks Florian for your input and everyones elses advice as well. I really appreciate it.

May just have to get out our bikes!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

no problem paul.

if you are interested in selling your car in let's say 2 years just remember me

best wishes

FLORIAN