Driving without the smart key

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving without the smart key

Originally Posted by rmorrow
You'd be surprised ! My neighbour a couple of years back left his BMW running in his driveway just long enough to run inside and grab a jacket. He came out just in time to watch it being driven away. He was away from the car for less than a minute.
So you sat there and thought, "hey! he left his keys in the car... I always wanted a beamer..." ADMIT IT!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nyc2socal
So you sat there and thought, "hey! he left his keys in the car... I always wanted a beamer..." ADMIT IT!!!
You got me.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, so I just learned something that I was pondering on this thread.

I could carry the extra fob without its batteries in it for emergencies on a trip.

We were trying to figure how to carry the extra when we got the car.

Cool!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why do you need to take the batteries out? I drive with two key fobs all the time. As long as the passenger gets out with the fob, there is no reason to take the batteries out.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, if you want an extra key on a trip and don't have a passenger along..........you might want to keep it in the glove compartment without the batteries incase you are far from home and want to be able to get back there if you loose the fab you usually use.

I haven't thought of all the details of it....where I'd put the batteries meanwhile or if someone would take the fab and you' d still be up a creek, etc.

It is nice with conventional keys being able to have a simple locksmith come to the rescue!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you don't take the batteries out of the fob, the car goes nuts.

I went on a long trip and took my spare fob along. Even wrapped in tin foil the car would sometimes see the fob and refuse to lock the doors. And this also leaves the trunk "unlocked".

Taking the batteries out fixed the problem.

I took the fob along as a precaution. I was out boating a lot. If I got locked out, I could always call a tow truck to open my door, or in the worst case I could break a back side window.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Driving without the smart key

I took my '07 TCH through a car wash where I left the key in my pocket and walked through as the car was washed. The attendant at the beginning was able to put the car in drive to start the run and leave it in neutral for the wash. At the far end the car wouldn't engage in drive until the key was put into the cockpit. So it seems there is a limit on the time without the key to put the car into drive, but from the postings, once it's in drive it will run indefinately.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Never had that problem at the car wash (although mine's an 08)

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Originally Posted by Sky Blue
Well, if you want an extra key on a trip and don't have a passenger along..........you might want to keep it in the glove compartment without the batteries incase you are far from home and want to be able to get back there if you loose the fab you usually use.

I haven't thought of all the details of it....where I'd put the batteries meanwhile or if someone would take the fab and you' d still be up a creek, etc.
Glove compartment is a bad idea. Trunk is much safer as thieves check out glove compartments for small things like guns and ammunition but who is going to look in an unobtrusive box in the trunk filled with miscellaneous junk. Another place would be the storage areas in the back seat or tape it to the back of the glove compartment when you next check your cabin air filter.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:23 PM

hmmm.... does not sound too smart though. the key situation.

personally, i have quite a different relevant issue. when i park somewhere, engine shuts off and goes into E mode. IT'S QUIET. i have forgotten to press that button quite a few times so far. habit of listening to noise ques reminding to turn it off, esp if you alternate TCH with Silverado truck.

yes, she does beep few times as you walk away. but if you are distracted by an associate driving with you or phone call.... and no, i have no bad habits at all.

sounds like it might have been better off to have them programmed to shut down in say 5 minutes of key not being detected inside. shut down and lock the doors. i appreciate them trying to save fob battery life, but i'd rather save my car and lose the battery. besides, it can be opened and started with a dead battery anyway, by placing Toyota logo next to the power button.

i sort of appreciate little Prius thing - you have to place key into the special receptacle to start the car. it's almost like turning key in ignition.

Quick Reply: Driving without the smart key

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands