Engine block heater installation instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine block heater installation instructions

The block heater is only 430W and has its limits to how much it can warm up an engine before. While you are heating a small area of the engine with the block heater, the ambient temperature is cooling the whole engine block. At some point the heater and nature come to an equilibrium and doesn't matter how long you plug the car in for it will not get any warmer.

I can sympathise with your 9mi commute and the car not getting to temp. Here on the prairies we are -20 to -40 for a good 4+months. Last winter my tank averages dropped to low 20s (mpg). My summer averages are in the mid to low 40s (mpg).

One other note. The block heater is close to where the temp sensor is. When I first hit the Start button the SGII shows a temp of ~115F but once the engine starts and the coolant circulates and mixes, my temp drops to ~95F.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Agree ... the block heater is not like the old heaters we used to put in a coolant line on our old V8s or diesel tractors that circulated the coolant throughout the entire motor -- thus kept everything much warmer. If fact when I installed this heater I wasn’t even aware they made ones like this and actually for the small size does a fairly good job. My temp also drops a significant amount after first start up, but then warms faster than if I hadn't used it. I see how much my MPGs drop when in the low teens and single digits, but couldn't imagine -20 or -40 degrees (reminds me when I was in Alaska many years ago). I'm surprised you can even get in the low 20s! Where are you located?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

To find me, go to Fargo ND, turn north and drive about 3.5 hours.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

I talked to dealer service department today about the cost to install a heater. They had never done one so they have no idea. How long should it take.

As an aside, they claimed it wasn't necessary as the TCH has a tank to hold the water warm. I think they are nuts as no way would the tank keep it warm overnight. As proof, my wife used the car in the morning and got awful mileage (like usual this time of the year) on a short trip. A little later I took it out and got 40+mpg since it was pre-warmed. When not pre-warmed, I get as bad as she does (30 or so). I'll bet none of them own one.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpezz
I talked to dealer service department today about the cost to install a heater. They had never done one so they have no idea. How long should it take.

As an aside, they claimed it wasn't necessary as the TCH has a tank to hold the water warm. I think they are nuts as no way would the tank keep it warm overnight. As proof, my wife used the car in the morning and got awful mileage (like usual this time of the year) on a short trip. A little later I took it out and got 40+mpg since it was pre-warmed. When not pre-warmed, I get as bad as she does (30 or so). I'll bet none of them own one.
Using the EXCELLENT instructions by Squint in the first post in this thread, you should be able to install it in less than an hour (perhaps 15 or 20 minutes if you have ever changed the air filter).

Regarding what your dealer has to say, I quote Jim Cramer:

"THEY KNOW NOTHING !!!!"

If you are at all handy, I'd recommend installing it yourself. I'll bet that the dealer will charge you a couple of hours labor to do the job.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
Using the EXCELLENT instructions by Squint in the first post in this thread, you should be able to install it in less than an hour (perhaps 15 or 20 minutes if you have ever changed the air filter).

If you are at all handy, I'd recommend installing it yourself. I'll bet that the dealer will charge you a couple of hours labor to do the job.
I am pretty handy but too old, too short & too fat to be doing that any more. I could have a trusted repair shop do it but I figured the dealer would be able to give me a quote. Guess not. The service department called parts who said there was no install time listed for the part.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am pretty handy but too old, too short & too fat to be doing that any more. I could have a trusted repair shop do it but I figured the dealer would be able to give me a quote. Guess not. The service department called parts who said there was no install time listed for the part.
In that case, I suggest you print out the instructions (with pictures) in the first post, here from Squint and take them to your shop. That would definitely save them time.

Good luck. You're going to like the way it works !

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 03-03-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As an aside, they claimed it wasn't necessary as the TCH has a tank to hold the water warm. I think they are nuts as no way would the tank keep it warm overnight.
The service person was thinking of the 'heat storage tank' on the Prius. From what I read, the TCH don't need the tank.

The tank on the Prius helps keep the coolant stay hot similar to a thermos bottle. This helps heat the cabin heater when stopped at a red light. It helps quickly warm the engine when shopping from store to store during a cold winter day.

Back in early 2008 I was quoted $180, estimated two hours labor plus the block heater price. I bought mine from a local toyota parts dealer for $39 after they had ordered it. A good toyota tech should do it in a hour

I did the job myself. The installation of the block heater itself is very quick. The slow part is having to remove and reinstalling the air cleaner housing. It took me near 2 hours.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-04-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
Back in early 2008 I was quoted $180, estimated two hours labor plus the block heater price. I bought mine from a local toyota parts dealer for $39 after they had ordered it. A good toyota tech should do it in a hour

I did the job myself. The installation of the block heater itself is very quick. The slow part is having to remove and reinstalling the air cleaner housing. It took me near 2 hours.
I just had my hater installed by a local shop I have taken my vehicles to for the last four years. They charged me $35 installation. Hardest part per the owner was one clip which was very difficult to get to.

I ran my wire out the bottom opening of the grill which seems to be wider than the others so the plug can be pushed up tight to it. I attached the plug cover to the grill so it would stay in place.

In my garage, I ran an extension cord from the outlet in the ceiling (into which the opener is plugged) and along the ceiling where it drops down in front of the car. This way, if I forget it is plugged in, I see the wire hanging in front of my eyes and moving with the car to remind me to not be stupid and treat the cord as a plug-in-car extension cable.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good idea on the wire being in front of you, easy to see from the drivers seat in case you forget.

Tom in Colorado mentioned hanging the extension over the drivers side door. That has worked great for me and is easy to see when I'm walk toward the car.

Quick Reply: Engine block heater installation instructions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands