Explain the pic of the little car =50wh regenerated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
HAPPY TCH OWNER
Default Re: Explain the pic of the little car =50wh regenerated?

Originally Posted by jmfreefly
All of the previous logic holds true, but here is the layman's look at it:

a) If you can minimize your braking, the better your fuel economy.
E.g. timing a light so you never have to come to a stop = better fuel economy than if you raced to the light, stopped, and then accelerated after it turned green.

This holds true for any car. That is the main point being made above.

However, there are sutations where you really must brake. E.g. a stop sign, and you obey traffic laws.
then:

b) If you have to apply the brakes, then a gradual application of them allows more regeneration to occur. This is better, in most cases, since you are usually minimizing the need for the ICE to run purely to charge the batteries.

So, bottom line is 'Given that someone applies good FE driving techniques such as trying to minimize braking when possible', then generally the more 'regen cars' shown, the better.

All that being said, if your traction battery is at full charge, the 'regen' power from braking gets lost. No clue whether it would show a 'regen car' in that case.
Finally some clear logic, thanks. Hopefully the lost power doesn't fall out of the car and make the roadways too slippery

Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by roseng
Now that that is cleared up what the heck is a "Veracitorian Muser"?
From veracity: conformity to facts, and, muse: absorbed in thought. Not sure if I deserved it, or if they meant it good or bad, but someone from another forum dubbed me with this moniker, and I liked it!

-- Alan

Old 12-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi,
Let me comment some...
Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
(a function of wheel speed and engine speed and whether MG1 or MG2 or both are doing regeneration)
The regeneration is only done by MG2.
Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
Off the top of my head, I believe the TCH drive battery is 236 V total, with each cell rated at around 10 amp-hour, which would be a 2360 watt-hour battery. However, only about half of the total capacity is actually used to ensure very long life for the battery. That means about 23 of those car symbols on the consumption display would represent a complete recharge of the drive battery (23 cars X 50 WH = 1150 WH, which is about half the total battery capacity).
http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt...Hybrid_sfo.pdf
The nominal voltage of the TCH hybrid battery is 244.8V and it is rated 6.5 Ah, therefore the total capacity is 1591 Wh.
The HSD system controls the battery level from 40% to 80% SOC, so the usable capacity is only 40% of it.
It means we'll see max 13 cars (1591 X 0.4 = 636, 636 / 50 = 13).

Ken@Japan