Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   First real-world mileage tests (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/first-real-world-mileage-tests-7316/)

stevenvillatoro 05-14-2006 12:04 AM

First real-world mileage tests

With just 40 miles on my virgin Camry Hybrid, I did two identical 18-mile tests, each with a different tire pressure setting. Other new owners, please add your measured results, techniques, etc., to help others make purchase decisions and improve our mileage.

Conditions:
100% freeway loop, with long hills for about 20% of route
60 degrees, no detectable wind
Steady 65 MPH

First test: 37 PSI in all tires
Result: 39.5 MPG

Second test: 46 PSI front; 44 PSI rear
Result 42.3 MPG

CGameProgrammer 05-14-2006 02:14 AM

Re: First real-world mileage tests

Dammit I'm jealous... I might have the car in 10 days and I can't wait. If I get it, it'll be a gray/ash base model.

Jason is going to have to redefine "hypermilers" for the TCH since obviously beating 39 mpg is trivial if you want to, and your car isn't even broken in! Maybe +10% of EPA? 44 mpg or better?

Please keep us updated, especially on the mileage when doing usual day-to-day driving... city/suburb driving in other words.

How'd you measure trip MPG; does the navigation unit have a trip MPG function? I couldn't find one on the non-nav cars; there was tank MPG but no trip MPG that I could find.

Oh, and tell us your dealer.

stevenvillatoro 05-14-2006 02:28 AM

Hehe, I had to get revenge and beat you by buying first... since you beat me to write the first test-drive review. Grrrrrr.

I've talked to EVERY dealer (fleet manager) in San Diego, LA, Orange, Riverside, and Imperial counties. Believe it or not, there ARE a good supply of cars coming. I found numerous dealers who felt they could get me a car equipped my way, in just a week or two.

It was amazing, though, at the dealership tonight. There were various customers who were literally *begging* me NOT to buy my new TCH, so that they COULD buy it! One guy was saying he'd give me thousands over what I paid for it. Sheesh! It's just not that hard to find these cars, despite the hype and threats that dealers are trying to insinuate. People are buying into this mythical feeding-frenzy, and some dealers here are loving every minute of it.

And yes, the NAV has a very cool display that tracks the last 30 minutes of mileage, in increments. It also gives you "Best Average" and your current average trip.

Hurry up and get your car!

rseynaev 05-14-2006 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
And yes, the NAV has a very cool display that tracks the last 30 minutes of mileage, in increments. It also gives you "Best Average" and your current average trip.

When does the "Best Average" field get updated? My display doesn't show a value for this yet? FYI... I'm still on my first tank of gas.
Thanks
Randy

stevenvillatoro 05-14-2006 06:01 PM

Apparently, you can manually transfer any current mileage segment to "Best Average" at any time. Just hit the display button, and it will transfer your MPGs and save them.

philmcneal 05-14-2006 07:24 PM

nice work , but yes that camry needs to be broken in and maybe synthetic too?

Jacky 05-14-2006 07:26 PM

With just 40 miles on my virgin Camry Hybrid, I did two identical 18-mile tests, each with a different tire pressure setting. Other new owners, please add your measured results, techniques, etc., to help others make purchase decisions and improve our mileage.

Conditions:
100% freeway loop, with long hills for about 20% of route
60 degrees, no detectable wind
Steady 65 MPH

Result 42.3 MPG

Thanks for posting some TCH MPG results. I realize you were in a hurry to post some real world results, but it should be noted here that results (from the computer read-out might I add) from only a 18 mile test drive leads to a -huge- standard deviation. I doubt the TCH will even come close to averaging 42MPG for most people. I would probably pin the TCH at averaging 36MPG over the long haul for an average driver.

CGameProgrammer 05-14-2006 08:47 PM

42.3 isn't his average, it's what he got on the highway. Obviously the car suffers when accelerating, but he wasn't doing that really, except a little to go up hills of course.

ken1784 05-14-2006 09:55 PM

Result 42.3 MPG

Thank you for the nice report.
It looks realistic than 60 MPG at 70 MPH report.

Ken@Japan

CGameProgrammer 05-14-2006 10:03 PM

Don't troll, Ken. My result was for one mile or less on level road, and I was just looking at the instant-mpg gauge. Steven did a whole 18-mile stretch, a fifth of which were hills, and it's definitely very hilly here in San Diego, especially just north of La Jolla. The instant mpg gauge was in the 20's or less on the hills when I did it. Also my car was very broken in.