Forgot key (FOB)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Forgot key (FOB)

Originally Posted by SPL
Pete4 — The quickest and easiest way to tell whethet the TCH is "on" is to look at the clock display on the top of the dashboard. If it's "on," the car is not "off." Conversely, if it's "off," so is the car (even if the instrument lights are still "on" because the headlights are still "on").

Stan
Stan..Makes sense, but....

Please correct me if I am all wet... and maybe I am saying the same thing as you are....the possbility exists for the clock to be ON when the READY light isn't. Example, without putting foot on brake pedal, press start button twice....clock will be on, but car won't drive...

Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

jbollt — You're correct! That's why I worded my statement very carefully: If the clock is "off" so is the car. (Equivalently, if the clock is "on" the car is not "off.") I did not say: If the clock is "on" the car is READY — that is false, as you point out. The clock will be "on" in AUX, ON, and READY modes. It will only be "off" in OFF mode. (By the car being "on" I mean that it's in one of the three modes AUX, ON, or READY.)

Stan

Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

If a TCH is actually shutting all the way down because the key is no longer detected, this could represent a safety hazard if it happened while the vehicle is being driven. A "key not detected" situation could happen because the battery in the key fob is going dead, or if the key is simply too far from the dashboard area. In ours, if I toss the key on the back seat, it's not detected. If the car shuts down while driving, the steering and brakes would be affected.

The OP should definitely have this investigated by the dealer, if it's certain that the car is shutting down completely on its own.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pajasper
If a TCH is actually shutting all the way down because the key is no longer detected, this could represent a safety hazard if it happened while the vehicle is being driven. A "key not detected" situation could happen because the battery in the key fob is going dead, or if the key is simply too far from the dashboard area. In ours, if I toss the key on the back seat, it's not detected. If the car shuts down while driving, the steering and brakes would be affected.

The OP should definitely have this investigated by the dealer, if it's certain that the car is shutting down completely on its own.
Agreed. Take it to the dealer if it is repeatable. Having your car shut down on the freeway 'cause your battery in your fob dies is not good. Mine stays on when the fob is no longer detected.