Front turn signals - TAKE TO DEALER?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front turn signals - TAKE TO DEALER?

Thanks for the info Pete4! Maybe I should look into it. Just the words "need to take the bumper off" sent chills down my spine. In the old days (when cars ran on steam ) removing the bumper was a big deal - especially to do some simple task. I guess I worry about alignment and getting it back tight. Since these guys have a rack/lift I imagine they raise the car to waist height and then work on it real easy. Trying to do this in my driveway adds the additioanl challange of not having it fall onto the ground - thus scratching it. Also, my dealer (originally) would not take the bumper off to remove my grille for me (when I wanted to have it plated). Why can they take it off to do the bulb? I think my local dealer (Rosner Toyota in Stafford & Frederiskcburg Virginia) are about as customer service oriented as the DMV on a BAD day (no offense to you wonderful and hardworking DMV folks reading this )

Ed_T : As for the screws, they were just two at the top and I don't know why they are there in the first place. There are about 18-20 clips that hold the grille in and these two screws. Maybe a more permanant securing to ward against theives? Don't really know but the thought of paying ANOTHER $70 to take the bumper off, insert the grille AND it's two screws just didn't make sense. So, I set the grille back in place and started popping in the clips all the way around. After all was done - grille in place and secure. I may look into the bumper removal process and if it is easy (as Pet4 reflects) I'll most likely replace the screws at that time.

Thanks all!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have a news for you, I took both front grills out without touching the bumper. The bottom one you just push in a little (don't use too much force or you can damage radiator when it unsnaps), turn on the side and out it goes. I don't remember top one, it may have some screws but if you don't have big arms, you can probably squeeze them inside and undo the screws with short tools with bumper on the car. As far as bumper goes, the screws are right up front, I wouldn't even bother jack it up, once you feel where the screw are, just reach underneath and do it blindly, or some bigger mirror could help. If you really want to get fancy, get 2x4, cut it in half and drive over it, that should give you about 2 inches extra clearance, but everything is right up front, you don't need to be under the car, if I remember it correctly. Now I even change oil without jacking up the car, just lay next to it, reach out and undo the filter and screw, if it wasn't at the dealer previous time, it shouldn't be that hard. Another easy way to do it would be to drive up on the sidewalk curb, that could give you extra 6-8 inches clearence, just make sure there is not much traffic around , so somebody doesn't run you over.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Peter! So, its all done above the ground? No crawling under the front and working around straps, wires, and stuff?