Great Deal on Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Great Deal on Mobil 1

Hey all...

Haven't posted here in a while, but I had to share this one...

My car is due for an oil change, and I was going to buy Mobil 1 and bring it to an instant oil change place and have them do the change. Problem is the only know $6 off the oil change price to make it $31 (plus the cost of the oil - typically $7/quart around here).

My local Toyota dealer will do it for $15, if you bring your own oil and filter.

Anyway - I called autozone and they quoted the $7/quart price. I happened to pass an Advance Auto Parts store on the way and thought I would stop in and check their price. They were running a special for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 (any weight) PLUS a Mobil 1 Filter for 30 bucks. I was stunned. So I bought 10 quarts of 0W-20 and 2 filters.

That amounts to a savings of about $18 when you account for the normal $13 filter price.

This all actually inspired me to buy some ramps, an oil drain pan, and a couple of the gaskets that the dealer uses for the drain plug ($1 each). If I can catch this deal at the right time, I might just keep doing my own oil changes (if all goes well when I do it tomorrow).

Just thought I would share!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Default Re: Great Deal on Mobil 1

I've been buying 5 qrt containers of Mobil1 5W20 at Walmart for $26 (normal price) for at least a year or more, pretty much since Toyota almost doubled up price of it's synthetic oil, which at that time was one of the least expensive synthetics on the market. Sometimes they're hard to find, so I usually buy more than one, or check different stores. And I change my own oil, by the time I would drive to the place, wait, drive back, I'm done already, without paying anything , but I do have garage and all tools.

Last edited by Pete4; 09-19-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
I've been buying 5 qrt containers of Mobil1 5W20 at Walmart for $26 (normal price) for at least a year or more, pretty much since Toyota almost doubled up price of it's synthetic oil, which at that time was one of the least expensive synthetics on the market. Sometimes they're hard to find, so I usually buy more than one, or check different stores. And I change my own oil, by the time I would drive to the place, wait, drive back, I'm done already, without paying anything , but I do have garage and all tools.
I haven't seen the 5W20 in the 5 quart containers before (just the heavier weights like 5W30). I try to avoid WalMart whenever possible, but might have to make an exception if that is the normal price.

I changed mine today for the first time - only ran into one hiccup (needed to run out and buy an oil filter "socket"). Basically it was an oil change for $30 plus tax (including the mobil 1 filter). I did notice that the Toyota filter I took off was larger than the Mobil 1 filter (same diameter, but maybe 3/4" to 1" taller). I double checked the books and made sure I had the one for the Camry Hybrid. Does this seem odd that the Toyota OEM one was larger?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 09-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I avoid WallyWorld like the plague, the way they treat their employees is a modern textbook example of why unions are in existence. I'll go someplace else and pay more to stay away from them.

A good socket type filter wrench - non Harbor Freight type quality- may cost a little more, but when it comes to tools, you buy good once, but buy cheap repeatedly.

Remember to always wipe some oil onto the rubber gasket of the filter before installing. This will prevent sticking later. Without a film of oil, I've had some of the gaskets "weld" the filter to the block when I worked in a service station a long time ago. We had to get rather 'brutal' in order to get them off. Messy and time consuming.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Thead size and diameter should be exactly the same, length I would imagine doesn't matter. I think I did see different length of third party filters for my other car, so if it says it's for TCH, then it should be fine. I only use Toyota filters for TCH, since they're not expensive at $5 a pop and I get washer for free. As a matter of fact I changed oil today, didn't even bother to drive into garage or jack it up, since it was a nice day I just drive front wheels onto 2 pieces of wood to get a little bit more clearence and was done in about 1/2 hour. Actually the job itself took about 5 min, the rest was to get the tools, clean up and wait for oil to drain. BTW, lucky you, I did my very first oil change at the dealer, just for the sake of it. If I remember correctly it took me about 2-3 hours to wrestle filter and pan screw out on the next oil change. For some reason those mechanics really make it so tight, almost impossible to open, no such problems since I started doing it, since I know how tight everything should be.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
Thead size and diameter should be exactly the same, length I would imagine doesn't matter. I think I did see different length of third party filters for my other car, so if it says it's for TCH, then it should be fine. I only use Toyota filters for TCH, since they're not expensive at $5 a pop and I get washer for free. As a matter of fact I changed oil today, didn't even bother to drive into garage or jack it up, since it was a nice day I just drive front wheels onto 2 pieces of wood to get a little bit more clearence and was done in about 1/2 hour. Actually the job itself took about 5 min, the rest was to get the tools, clean up and wait for oil to drain. BTW, lucky you, I did my very first oil change at the dealer, just for the sake of it. If I remember correctly it took me about 2-3 hours to wrestle filter and pan screw out on the next oil change. For some reason those mechanics really make it so tight, almost impossible to open, no such problems since I started doing it, since I know how tight everything should be.
I actually did run into the same issue where the drain plug was ridiculously tight, and the filter was too. It took a lot of contortions and muscle to break that plug loose! I thought I was doing pretty well when I got the plug back in and tightened without spilling a drop of oil. Once I got back from the store with the filter socket, I realized that the drain pan that I bought was leaking. I got a Blitz 6 quart pan that has a big opening with a coarse screen over it, and a smaller cap on the side for dumping the oil out. This one was leaking...

Then when I took the filter off I didn't have the pan in quite the right spot, so oil got all over the side of the container. So it was a bit of a mess! I am glad I put a big piece of cardboard down to catch any leaks.

Hopefully DIY change number 2 doesn't fall in up in the dead of winter (but it probably will)...

Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree that most service people over tightening the filter and drain plug. I do my own TCH and Grand Caravan plus my son and daughter's Corolla's. I do them by reaching under from the front of the car with a socket set and oil filter wrench - I have long arms that just barely reach the oil pan plug but I usually don't have a problem doing the job but I can't put a lot of pressure on the wrench. The last two times someone else has done the job the plug and filter have been put on really tight and I have had to beg someone to put it up on a lift and losen everything up for me.

Needless to say I encourage my kids to come to me first and stay away from any type of oil change services.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Spiff!

I picked up some 0W-20 this weekend.

Funny thing is that the Advance Auto guy had no idea what he was talking about. I asked him if they had 0W-20 and he replied "Yeah we got straight 20 weight." A asked again, stressing the fact that I wanted 0W-20 multi-grade "hybrid oil". He indicated that he had just check stock and that they did have 0W-20 and that 0W-20 is straight 20 weight oil.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

WalMarts in this area have been selling the 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 5w20 for $22.00 for a long time now. The oil pan plug aluminum crush washer can also be bought at Advanced and other parts stores for a lot less than the dealer.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
The oil pan plug aluminum crush washer can also be bought at Advanced and other parts stores for a lot less than the dealer.
Didn't know that - thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Great Deal on Mobil 1

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands