HID Conversion... 35W vs 55W?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HID Conversion... 35W vs 55W?

Yes, OEM is 35W. 55W are for off-road use. Yes, it is much brighter. It's up to you if you want to install 55W. I don't know how you'll get caught unless they check for brightness for your safety check. Make sure your lights are adjusted properly. I had to lower mine all the way or I would be blinding on coming cars and the car in front of me.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When it comes time to replace a bulb or ballast they may not be as commonplace, may have been out-lawed even. 35W HID's provide so much more light vs OEM halogen, even "claimed" higher power/lumen halogens the need for the extra HID wattage is virtually ZERO.

I would recommend the HID projector type wherein the switch to high beam is done with a variable "apperture" using an electric solenoid.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Pragmatist

Every non-OEM headlight is illegal for on-road use, in every state. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108) regulates all automotive lighting, signalling and reflective devices in the United States. All 50 state laws reference FMVSS 108.

The requirements for replacement units are identical to original equipment units. Each vehicle model must be tested and certified. No end-user modifications are allowed, at all. Replacement bulbs must be identical to originals, within specified tolerances, except for the markings that identify the manufacturer.

Of course, enforcement is usually lax. Very few police agencies spend much resource on headlight enforcement. Individual police often stop people for burned-out lights, but that is mostly as a courtesy.

Illegal modifications are usually detected only after collisions in which someone got injured or killed. During the personal-injury lawsuit, the presence of altered (illegal) equipment is often a factor in deciding liability.

From a pure safety perspective, a too-bright light can cause a collision by blinding the approaching driver. It isn't just about how well you can see. It is also about letting the other guy see.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:12 AM
Enthusiast

35w are best used for reflector head lights and 55w for projector head lights..

Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Nice to find this thread as I'm considering which ones to go with now. I believe the projector beam focus will allow 55W units w/o blinding anyone. I already upgraded to 100W Xenon bulbs and nobody has flashed me. They're only a little brighter than the factory halogens, they're still not bright enough that I can see well. Thanks for the input.