Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/homelink-problems-why-doesnt-mine-work-10589/)

leepark 10-19-2006 12:47 PM

Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

I've tried multiple times, without success, to get the Homelink to work. I don't think it's a faulty Homelink unit in my TCH. I've read the manual, and tried to program it both ways (depressing the button on my remote AND pressing and letting go every 2 seconds until the Homelink blinks - slow blinking occurs after 20 seconds or so). When I press the newly programmed Homelink button while beside the receiver on the wall of our garage, nothing happens. I live in a condo with a common garage door for all residents. Does it matter if I'm beside the receiver (as opposed to pointing directly at)? Why won't this thing work? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Anyone know how to rectify?

Droid13 10-19-2006 01:12 PM

Re: Homelink problems - why doesn't mine work?

First thing, I remember you being in Canada. The manual gives separate Canadian instructions which never worked for me, both on my Sienna and the TCH. Never really made sense, I really don't think garage door openers are any different in Canada then the US. So my first advice is, ignore the Canadian instructions. I used the "hold the button" method for rolling code systems while holding the remote near the homelink unit. I remember I had to hold the button for quite a while before it registered, but worked first time on my TCH. Took about 3 tries to get it right on my Sienna, but I probably was not patience enough.

If it's programmed correctly, you should be able to use it from a good distance away. I can trigger my door from about 5 houses down which is around 250 ft.

jbollt 10-19-2006 01:18 PM

well, this is just a thought....my house is in a neighborhood that has an entrance gate, that is operated by remote control provided by the homeowner's association. I tried many times, in vain, to get the Homelink to operate that gate. I finaly called Homelink, and the gate company...it seems that the gate, (because it is a common gate for many folks?) is not able to be operated by Homelink. I hope your situation isn't the same.:(

agnosto 10-19-2006 01:32 PM

The TCH is a bit more complex to set than a Sienna. I used the hand held remote control unit of my garage opener while sitting in the car aiming to the HomeLink near by the rear view mirror by depressing the homelink button and prior to that I had activated the learn button on my garage door opener unit (lets you do it within 30 secs) and it worked fine. On the other hand my Sienna was easier did not have to use the hand held remote control unit of my garage opener...

neisserj1 10-19-2006 01:36 PM

Hey, something to check. I have craftsman remotes. They have a roaming code. I hade to match the transmitter once programmed to the garage door opener unit. There is a red button on the unit.

greenvillehybrid 10-19-2006 01:58 PM

If yours is of the random code generators then programming from the remote will not work. You need to go to the main unit and press the red button on it and within 30 seconds press the homelink button in the car

KC Rusty 10-19-2006 02:01 PM

I have two newer Genie style openers with 'rolling codes' in my garage. They are supposed to change each time u use the opener. I had to first hold the remote control to the homelink unit as called out int the car;s owners guide, and then press the 'learn' button on the genie unit until it flashed and then within 30 seconds - press the homelink button in the car -- worked the first time .. Had to do it twice - once for each unit. :)

montush 10-19-2006 02:09 PM

Thats certainly not because its a common gate for many folks.. mine works fine with an entrance gate operated by 108 families.

Originally Posted by jbollt
well, this is just a thought....my house is in a neighborhood that has an entrance gate, that is operated by remote control provided by the homeowner's association. I tried many times, in vain, to get the Homelink to operate that gate. I finaly called Homelink, and the gate company...it seems that the gate, (because it is a common gate for many folks?) is not able to be operated by Homelink. I hope your situation isn't the same.:(

jbollt 10-19-2006 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by montush
Thats certainly not because its a common gate for many folks.. mine works fine with an entrance gate operated by 108 families.

I wish I could operate my gate with the Homelink. On our gate, I think it has something to do with the type of signal the remotes/gate opener uses. They (the gate company) has the ability to de-activate (from their office) any particular remote, and each remote has a unique serial number registered to each homeowner. I suppose this is a security measure to protect the community if a remote is lost or stolen.

I don't thnik this is the original posters issue, but just wanted to throw this in as a possibility.

wcmack 10-19-2006 06:28 PM

It's been many sleeps since I did this, so I'm having a hard time remembering how I did this...:rolleyes:

I also had a heck of a time programming the button in the TCH to open my garage door (a Genie rolling code opener). I assiduously (I thought) followed the (US) instructions several times and could not get it to work. Then I think I cycled the Power button on the dash after going through the coding cycle, and it worked! Maybe that will work for you.

skywagon 10-19-2006 06:49 PM

Mine runs both garage doors and my gate. SK

Pete4 10-19-2006 07:00 PM

I did spend close to an hour trying to program my garage opener. At the end I gave up all together. I got to the point where everything was working as it should, untill next morning when it didn't work anymore. Well, at least I transfered my whole phone book despite Verizon telling me they don't support that function, no mention of it in my phone manual and misleading terminology. As they say you win some and loose some.

Sallyspal 10-19-2006 07:39 PM

I had the same problem - if I recall correctly, the TCH manual actually omits an important step. Try this web site:

http://www.homelink.com/home/home.tml

I found it very easy to follow their instructions. My Homelink was working in no time! When I did this back in June they didn't have training instructions specifically for the TCH but I found that the 2006 Camry instructions worked just fine.

Good luck.

FAB IIII 10-19-2006 07:59 PM

I had the same problem at first. Then I guessed correctly... could it have been programmed by someone else before I took delivery? Yep! I believe you hold the two outside buttons (1 & 3) at the same time to erase it... then you can program it properly.
Good luck.

Eskimonio 10-19-2006 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by FAB IIII
I had the same problem at first. Then I guessed correctly... could it have been programmed by someone else before I took delivery? Yep! I believe you hold the two outside buttons (1 & 3) at the same time to erase it... then you can program it properly.
Good luck.

AGREED, although I know I was the only civilian (non toyota) butt in that seat, I had a HELL of a time programming my homelink, even though very familiar with the system because I'd had it in numerous cars previously.

I do remember after MUCH grief, I held down buttons one and three to clear the memory, and it reprogrammed after that like a charm.

jasaulsbury 10-19-2006 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
I did spend close to an hour trying to program my garage opener. At the end I gave up all together. I got to the point where everything was working as it should, untill next morning when it didn't work anymore. Well, at least I transfered my whole phone book despite Verizon telling me they don't support that function, no mention of it in my phone manual and misleading terminology. As they say you win some and loose some.

Peter: I noted that you were able to transfer your phone book. How did you do that? I have Verizon service with a Motorola e815 phone. My TCH does not have the Nav system. Was there an earlier post that I missed? Thanks

Pete4 10-20-2006 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by jasaulsbury
Peter: I noted that you were able to transfer your phone book. How did you do that? I have Verizon service with a Motorola e815 phone. My TCH does not have the Nav system. Was there an earlier post that I missed? Thanks

I have Navigation system so not sure how the non navigation unit works. But in my case the biggest problem was to figure the phone menus. I have LG 8300 and not sure if the menus are the same accross Verizon line but here it is in case it can help somebody: menu/settings & tools/7. bluetooth/hands free-options/send name card
At this point you have list of all the names in phone book, you need to mark those that you want to send and done will transfer them all if the car was set to receive them. There was another thread about it in this forum few months ago but somehow it didn't help me much until I found options menu under hands free on my phone. Hope this will help someone.

Orcrone 10-20-2006 08:49 AM

Peter,

Thanks, I just happen to have the 8300. It took some finagling, but I finally got it to work. Did you mean that you could send them all at once, or only one at a time. Because I could only send over one contact at a time that way, which of course was still much easier than programming them in by voice.

flopshot 10-20-2006 10:56 AM

Let's not hijack this thread into a bluetooth discussion. Please go to one of the many ongoing bluetooth threads.

I had a lot of problems programming my Homelink until I realized that my opener had rolling codes. As soon as I put the opener into "learning" mode, I was able to program the homelink quickly. Hint - it helps to have two people do this, so you don't try to get off a ladder and into your TCH all within 30 seconds.

wallpad 10-20-2006 01:29 PM

Call the 800 number for Homelink. They are very helpful and will walk you through the entire process as you do it. This was the only way I could get mine working.

Paul

greenvillehybrid 10-20-2006 04:52 PM

Here are some clear cut instructions for programming rolling code garage door openers that I did this evening and it worked.

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
To program a built-in-car transmitter to a rolling code garage door opener (Genie rolling code is called Intellicode, Liftmaster/Sears is called Security plus), you should take the following steps.
1. Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car red light starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute. (In a few cases, some make cars require the keys to be in the ignition, or the car motor must be running, or the car door must be shut)
2. Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, red light flashes rapidly. This sets the in-car transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.
3. Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually right next to the area the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board. Press this learn button momentarily. A red light should start to flash or an amber light will turn on and stay lit. Go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener.

Tips:
1. Clear the car codes by pressing the outer 2 buttons. Takes 30-45 seconds for the red light to blink fast but seems like eternity.
2. Park car just outside garage so that you can work comfortably.
3. Pushing the garage remote and car home link buttons for again 30-45 seconds till it blinks rapidly. Patience!
4. Need a step ladder to get to garage opener head and unscrew the front area.
5. The button for learning on the garage door opener head is in the front area. Need screwdriver to open the front transparent white plastic cover where the bulbs are. Usually the black button is above the area where the antenna wire hangs down.
6. Press it and a red button below it blinks. You need to get to the car and select one of the 3 home link buttons and press them 3-4 times, ½ second at a time. By the 4th time the garage door should close.
7. Remember, unlike the remote button that works with a quick press on the button, you need to hold the programmed button in the car for 1 second for it to either open or close.

alan_in_tempe 10-21-2006 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by greenvillehybrid
Here are some clear cut instructions for programming rolling code garage door openers that I did this evening and it worked.

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS

Outstanding, clear instructions. I was going to try to help, but I could not have done as well!

Here is one minor tidbit of additional information (I see nothing needing correction!). If you program one button, and follow all of the steps to program a second button, including the reset step, you will lose the program on the first button! Skip the reset step number 1 after the first button is programmed.

-- Alan

David Price 10-21-2006 04:53 PM

I've tried programming my wife's with no success, so, I finally called the 800 #, (Homelink). The lady told me to try the Canadian method for programming since our door opener was made in the mid seventies.

My wife has the car at work so I'll have to try tomorrow and I'll let you know if it works.

SPL 10-22-2006 10:54 AM

For what it's worth, I have found that I must hold in the Homelink button for at least 1 second when I want to use it to open/close my garage door. Perhaps the problem you're having isn't with the actual programming of the Homelink, so much as with using it? Try holding the button in longer, and see what happens.

Stan

leepark 10-23-2006 03:29 PM

I finally found out why I can't get my Homelink to work. Our garage door is an infrared-based system. The Homelink only works on radio frequency-based openers. Anyone else have this problem? Any know of a way to get my type of door to work?

Squint 10-23-2006 03:51 PM

I know some universal audio-visual remotes use radio waves. They don't have to be pointed at an IR "eye" and have greater range. They communicate with IR "blasters" that are placed near the IR eyes of each device. So they kind of translate between radio and IR commands.

If something similar existed for garage door openers then that would be a possibility.

David Price 10-23-2006 06:34 PM

Sorry that I didn’t get back yesterday, I did try the Canadian method without success. I guess our opener is either to old or the wrong brand, (Doorkeeper).

cahicks 08-18-2009 08:26 AM

After programming my 2010 Lexus homelink to a liftmaster garage door opener my other hand held remotes are deprogrammed. Now even after the homelink is deprogrammed every time I program one of the hand held remotes the others become deprogrammed. The Lexus dealer technicians have been out but have not solved this problem, any suggestions?

haroldo 08-18-2009 08:55 AM

call homelink, they're very helpful

jpezz 08-26-2009 05:46 PM

I found my aftermarket openers would open the garage door w/o problems but never would program the Homelink. an original unit (given to me by a neighbor as mine had fallen and broken) worked just fine.

rmorrow 08-27-2009 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13 (Post 94221)
First thing, I remember you being in Canada. The manual gives separate Canadian instructions which never worked for me, both on my Sienna and the TCH. Never really made sense, I really don't think garage door openers are any different in Canada then the US. So my first advice is, ignore the Canadian instructions. I used the "hold the button" method for rolling code systems while holding the remote near the homelink unit. I remember I had to hold the button for quite a while before it registered, but worked first time on my TCH. Took about 3 tries to get it right on my Sienna, but I probably was not patience enough.

If it's programmed correctly, you should be able to use it from a good distance away. I can trigger my door from about 5 houses down which is around 250 ft.

I had a similar experience. I dutifully followed the "Canadian" instructions, and it wouldn't work. I then decided to follow the "Standard" method, and it worked right away. I also remember having to hold the button longer than indicated.

duanerw 08-27-2009 08:45 PM

I have a genie with rolling codes and had problems.guess that comes with old age.I called genie and they helped me program it and took no time at all.they are very helpfull.

habu968 08-28-2009 02:47 PM

Mine was defective when the car was new, had it replaced under warranty, no further issues.

walterh3 06-29-2010 08:20 PM

wow-this worked! Thanks, I've tried the instructions in the car and genie manuals with no luck.

cp_tch 06-30-2010 06:43 PM

Some of the older garage door openers don't work with home link. I have a wayne dalton opener, and it originally didn't work. I called wayne dalton, and had the circuit board in the opener updated. Then the home link worked fine.

glen4cindy 12-21-2012 02:41 PM

Hello, I'm hoping for some help here. My Homelink was working fine, and stopped all of the sudden for no apparent reason.

I've tried both programming methods here to reprogram it without success.

I called Homelink support, and they suggested "The fuse was not plugged in all the way."

Well, the lights are lighting up when I reset, but, the desired programming button never flashes like it should when I try to program. It stays solid throughout the entire time I keep pressing the door opener button until it just goes out.

Please assist. Thanks in advance.

ukrkoz 12-25-2012 07:33 AM

I'd say you have not done 2 things:
1. reset it completely, by pressing and holding 2 left buttons until codes are erased
2. holding remote close enough and LONG enough to the pressed button, until it starts blinking fast. It can take quite some time.
Well, and life happens. Even such a simple thing as Homelink can go bad.