Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   How to Start TCH with Dead Key Battery (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/how-start-tch-dead-key-battery-9275/)

mayall 08-14-2006 03:20 PM

How to Start TCH with Dead Key Battery

I just came across this in the manual:

STARTING THE HYBRID SYSTEM WHEN THE ELECTRONIC KEY BATTERY IS DISCHARGED

If the key indicator does not flash and the hybrid system cannot be started by using the start function, the battery may be discharged. Replace the key battery as soon as possible. (See “—Replacing battery” on page 30 in this Section.) However the hybrid system can be turned on in the following procedures.

1. While the brake pedal is depressed, touch the Toyota logo side of the electronic key to the “POWER” switch.

2. Start the hybrid system within 5 seconds after the green indicator light on the “POWER” switch comes on and a buzzer sounds.
It's nice to know the feature is there although I'll never remember it if I ever need it.

Will Mayall

Droid13 08-14-2006 03:37 PM

Re: How to Start TCH with Dead Key Battery

Actually, my TCH had numerous little info cards on elastic bands tied to various parts of the controls on the dash and this info happened to be one of them. I actually saved them, well, just because I could...

Orcrone 08-15-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mayall
I just came across this in the manual:

It's nice to know the feature is there although I'll never remember it if I ever need it.

Will Mayall

That's why we keep the owner's manual in the glovebox.

Sallyspal 08-15-2006 04:07 PM

The 2007 Camry (all models) iGuide CD-ROM has a demonstration of this and other ways to use your smart key fob. We just got our CD in the mail last week, almost 2 mos after I bought the car. The iGuide also has helpful demonstrations and explanations of the TCH's other systems.

schmidtj 08-15-2006 06:57 PM

Ideally you should never get into a dead key fob battery situation. The MFD warns you the battery is getting low well in advance. If you choose to ignore the warning (like some ignore the fuel indicator it seems) then the procedure will work.
J