Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Hybrid used value after warranty expires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/hybrid-used-value-after-warranty-expires-31171/)

RicksTCH 04-20-2017 06:52 PM

Hybrid used value after warranty expires

I paid about $33000 Cdn for my 2009 Camry hybrid, with leather, moonroof, heated seats, nav etc. It is now a couple of weeks over 8 years old, so the hybrid/battery warranty has now expired. It has about 70,000 miles on it.

I thought about trading it for a new car, and was offered $7500 trade in value. I was advised that consumers are reluctant to buy a hybrid car after the warranty has expired. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
Rick

haroldo 04-21-2017 08:14 AM

Re: Hybrid used value after warranty expires

Didn't Toyota extend the warranty coverage?
In any event, there doesn't seem to be a great used car market for these cars, so if you have a bid, and you don't have to try and sell it yourself, I'd trade it in and move on.
How much extra are you going to get if you sell it yourself? $500? $1000?
Not sure about Canada, but you'll save sales tax on the new purchase if you trade in your old one.
YMMV

ukrkoz 04-22-2017 02:05 PM

There is not a great used market private party for them because no one really sells them. They either trade or are kept, good cars are keepers.

BOFH 04-24-2017 06:21 AM

The lack of warranty is not affecting the price.

So much of the trade/used value is dependent on where you're located. Look through AutoTrader & Kijiji to get an idea for your area.

Also, be realistic about the overall condition of the car. If it is in absolutely pristine condition then it is worth more than if it's bee a daily driver with an assortment of parking lot paint chips and scratches, etc.

At $7500 as a trade in is probably within a normal range of values that a dealer is going to offer. Here on the prairies the retail is in the $10K range.

One more thing, anyone who is buying will say lots of things to get you to feel like you should accept less than you should. Batteries should not be an issue as many taxi cabs have run Prius/Camry hybrids to 2-300,000km without issues.