instrument panel cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default instrument panel cluster

Hello:

I have a 2009 Camry Hybrid and the clean plastic cover for the instrument panel is a dust magnet. From time to time, I used a microfibre cloth to wipe dust off. I notice it was scratched and the dealer refused to replace it under warranty as it was improperly maintained. According to the dealer, there is no recommended material to clean and therefore I need to replace at my cost and are not to attempt to clean it - perhaps compressed air?

Anyhow, does anyone have information on how to replace this plastic panel?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: instrument panel cluster

Rick,

Buy a one car subscription on DIY AllData for the TCH and it will step you thru replacing the cluster. You can polish the cover out if you have a buffer but you might need to replace the entire cluster depending on how it is made.

In the future, try using a shop vac with a "mini" tools kit that has a small soft bristle brush as an attachment. You can get the dust off without scratching the surface. You can use a soft microfiber most of the time though. Do you live near a power plant or someplace that gives off gritty fallout?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks David - I have been using the microfiber, but also have a vacuum with small tools for keyboard etc, so should work fine.

We live in an area where a few sawmills exist, so particulate matter is not uncommon.

Rick

Old 08-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have had good luck using the nice'n clean brand of electronic cleaning wipes from walmart. I found them in the computer area of the store. For a few dollars 24 wipes comes to a box . I use them to clean my tv screens, computer monitors and the TCH instrument panel window.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-31-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you go to a good motorcycle shop, you can get the polish used for plastic windshields. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but Mother's is the brand. You may be able to polish it out yourself.

If you still want to do it the hard way, you might check your local public library, they often subscribe to Alldata or Mitchell Online. You can usually print out the necessary pages for about a nickel apiece.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Hello:

Has anyone actually replaced this cluster plastic 'lens'. I have spoke to my dealer and they have no idea on the cost to replace, estimating from 10 minutes to 1 hour - they charge $100 per hour labour rate.

It is scratched beyond buffing.

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided

Rick

Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 AM

You might check with the Toyota parts department and ask how much the cluster lens cost. I like to try doing it myself, then if I mess up, I can take it to the man to be fixed. My guess, maybe a few screws hold the lens housing cover. maybe a clamp frame for the lens to sit in with possible few more screws. If the dealer does it, you know it's done right.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 AM

i have worked as a gold polisher at jewelry factory for several years. our polishing machines had plastic "windows" so that we could see what we were doing inside with our hands. it was all hand polishing inside a metal box, with high speed electrical motor.
that plastic window will get scratched very easy.
i seriously do not recommend hand polishing any flat plastic pieces. or curved ones. gentle buffing - maybe. not polishing. what happens is it is very easy to create scattered lenses. THEN it becomes really annoying. now, i have done this. i have experience with this happening. ever since, i am staying away from anything more extensive than gentle wiping plastics.
walmart sells lens cleaner for something like 2 bucks. 2 fl oz. it also comes with LIFETIME REFILL for free. spray that, wipe it off with microfiber cloth, be happy.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

If you have COSTCO membership, pay the $5 or so for an eye glass cleaning kit. There are microfiber cloths in it and 2 small bottles of cleaner. You can always take the small bottle in and refill it at the Costco stores that I've gone to.

I use the cleaner every morning for my glasses and use it also on my Flat Panel TV and Flat Panel monitors and it works very well and I've seen no scratches as a result.

YES, I've used it on the car dash plastic on more than one Toyota.

You may be able to get a similar kit and unlimited refills from other eye glass dispensers.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

Try Meguiar's Plast-X for 5 bucks at Autozone or Walmart. It is specifically for removing haziness and light scratches from plastic surfaces. I have had good luck with it on plastic surfaces such as CD's and other relatively soft plastics.

Quick Reply: instrument panel cluster

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands