View Poll Results: How old was your key fob when you started seeing battery life warnings?
Three years or more
15.87%
Between two to three years
50.79%
Under two years
6.35%
Not yet and my car is over three years old
7.94%
Not yet and my car is between two and three years old
11.11%
Not yet but my car is under two years old
7.94%
I don't recall when it started giving me the warnings
0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Key fob battery (OEM) life

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Key fob battery (OEM) life

Reminder...
Camry battery fobs go into sleep mode to preserve battery life. Leaving the fob within 3 feet of a florescent light or a charging device, such as a cell phone, will prevent it from going to sleep and shorten battery life.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Reminder...
Camry battery fobs go into sleep mode to preserve battery life. Leaving the fob within 3 feet of a florescent light or a charging device, such as a cell phone, will prevent it from going to sleep and shorten battery life.
That might explain why my spare died almost as quickly as the fob i always used.

The fob was in a desk drawer, above which my wifes cell phone would charge nightly.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is it an actual charging cell phone or just a cell phone sitting next to you wallet and key fob?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Charging...the action emits some type of wave that the fob picks up and thinks it's a car, thus no sleep

Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A few strokes with a pencil eraser on the battery contacts can work wonders too. It takes only a small amount of crud/oxidation to cause problems. That thing's been in your pocket for HOW long?

CR1632 = 10 for $8, delivered, eBay.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

i just started getting the 'Low Key Battery' sign this week! Bought my TCH in Sept. '07. I used to keep my cell phone and keys in the same pocket or at least close by to each other, until someone told me that doing so would drain the battery faster! Looking at the poll, not sure if it's true because majority of the people are within the 2-3 year category!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by spgdxb
... I used to keep my cell phone and keys in the same pocket or at least close by to each other, until someone told me that doing so would drain the battery faster! ...
You might be slightly mistaken...

Now, if you charge the phone in your pocket, that's another story.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM

I bought a Timex Radio Controlled watch. Some call it a Atomic watch. It turns on around 1 am nightly to correct the time.

I keep my key-fob in my right pocket and the watch in the left at night when I'm sleeping. Evidently the watch kicks the fob on.

About 6 months after buying the watch my fob lost it's range. It got so bad I had to install a new battery. This helped about 6 months and then I needed another battery. All this time my wife's fob worked well, in fact well over 2 years.

I decided to keep the radio controlled watch away from the fob. I bought a rather nice $10 similar looking face watch from Walmart. This one is just a simple digital battery watch. I have had it a good while and my fob works fine now.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 AM

I guess anything that emits a certain type of wave or frequency is perceived by the fob as a car, so the fob wakes up. According to the manual, three feet is all you need to separate the fob from these devices to prevent it from waking.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I bought a Timex Radio Controlled watch. Some call it a Atomic watch. It turns on around 1 am nightly to correct the time.

I keep my key-fob in my right pocket and the watch in the left at night when I'm sleeping. Evidently the watch kicks the fob on.

About 6 months after buying the watch my fob lost it's range. It got so bad I had to install a new battery. This helped about 6 months and then I needed another battery. All this time my wife's fob worked well, in fact well over 2 years.

I decided to keep the radio controlled watch away from the fob. I bought a rather nice $10 similar looking face watch from Walmart. This one is just a simple digital battery watch. I have had it a good while and my fob works fine now.

Quick Reply: Key fob battery (OEM) life

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands