Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Limits of B Gear (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/limits-b-gear-17688/)

wcrhsn 04-06-2008 09:09 PM

Limits of B Gear

Have a new 2008 Camry Hybrid. I live in a hilly area. What is the maximum recommendedspeed at which one can travel downhill? Is there a limit beyond which damage may occur? For example, the "Grapevine" in Southern California on I5 is very steep, about 3000+ ft elevation change downhill for a few miles. If I keep the car in the B gear, will the acceleration of gravity cause the car to go too fast and break something?

Thanks,

Harold

nash 04-06-2008 09:45 PM

Re: Limits of B Gear

I have used B on 6% freeway grades at speeds up to 75mph, for 2 to 3 miles at freeway speeds with no problems. I find I need to give a little gas or B will slow me down too much on most freeway grades. I never felt the engine was over speeding due to the use of the B gear.

wcrhsn 04-06-2008 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by nash (Post 167600)
I have used B on 6% freeway grades at speeds up to 75mph, for 2 to 3 miles at freeway speeds with no problems. I find I need to give a little gas or B will slow me down too much on most freeway grades. I never felt the engine was over speeding due to the use of the B gear.

Thanks for the reply. I was primarily concerned about excessive strain on the transmission when going 60-75 mph in B gear.

Harold

haroldo 04-07-2008 02:40 AM

Remember, the B gear wont illuminate your brake light, so if you have someone behind you, they may not be aware that you are slowing down.

talmy 04-07-2008 07:16 AM

B won't cause a strain on anything. Electronic controls will prevent overreving. All B does is enable engine braking. It can be selected at any speed.

Dang 04-07-2008 09:37 PM

Just to be clear, B isn't a "gear" at all in the Hybrid. There aren't any gears in the traditional sense. It's simply the computer altering how it manages the drivetrain to give you somewhat more slowing power. It won't let you hurt it.

Later!

Dang

rburt07 04-08-2008 12:59 AM

I go down a rather steep straight grade when going over the mountain west Las Cruces, NM. I use the B position and other times simply go easy on the brakes to slow occasionally.

I'm getting good at hitting the flashers for a few flashes to alert trucks or cars that i'm going slower than they are. Even in full sunlight those bright yellow rear flashers must be very visible from a long ways back.

wcrhsn 04-08-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dang (Post 167702)
Just to be clear, B isn't a "gear" at all in the Hybrid. There aren't any gears in the traditional sense. It's simply the computer altering how it manages the drivetrain to give you somewhat more slowing power. It won't let you hurt it.

Later!

Dang

Thanks, Dang. So, the loud whining noise it makes is not the transmission slowing the engine? It sounds like a regular car in low gear.

Harold

haroldo 04-08-2008 08:47 AM

That loud whine always sounded like the engine saying "Ouch!"

SPL 04-08-2008 09:49 AM

The "whining" when coasting in 'B' is the ICE being spun (without fuel or spark) at higher speeds (between 1000-4000 rpm) by MG1 to give true engine braking. Coasting above ~40 miles per hour (~64 km/h) in 'D,' the ICE is spun by MG1 at idling speed (~1000 rpm) only, and so isn't readily audible. No harm will come to the engine or transmission by shifting into 'B' at speed.

Stan