My new 857 mile tank at 59.9 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My new 857 mile tank at 59.9 mpg

Originally Posted by ppgroup
rburt07, thanks for the info. I have had one for use and like it, but have never really used it beyond its basic functions. I will check out some you have listed.
The SC II instruction booklet shows you how to set it up for your car. If you move the fuel fill-up page showing the gallons you add at each fill, then within about 3 tanks of gas the SC will be very accurate for your car.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
I bought the scan gauge II back when that version came out with the larger readout scale.
Toyota didn't offer a trip computer on our six-cylinder, '07 RAV4. Being the ****-retentive sort MPG-wise, I considered the Scan Gauge, but didn't want to mess around with all the wiring. After I got a new Bluetooth-enabled Garmin GPS, I discovered an alternative. Garmin sells a gizmo called the EcoRoute HD for $99. You plug it into the car's OBDII port (like the Scan Gauge) and it sends all the data wirelessly to a compatible Garmin GPS or an Android smart phone, where it's displayed on various user-selected screens. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

Until today, I always went to a screen that displayed average and real-time gas mileage and used the real-time feedback to adjust my driving in order to elevate the average MPG. My most frequently driven route is between our house and our health club a couple of miles away, with multiple stop signs and a number of elevation changes -- mostly downhill toward the club, which is near Monterey Bay, and mostly uphill on the way home. Starting from our house, the distance is not really far enough to warm up the car on a cold morning. The best mileage I've been able to get on the outbound trip of late has been about 15-16 mpg. After reading your post about the Scan Gauge, I tried something different -- I went to the gauge screen, which on my GPS shows engine temp, engine load, timing advance, intake manifold pressure and RPMs. Today as I drove to the club, I kept an eye on the engine-load gauge, and tried to keep the reading as close to 50 percent as I could when I had to give the engine gas and see how low I could get it to go when coasting downhill, or pulsing and gliding. Lo and behold, I achieved 18 mpg between our house and the club instead of 15-16 mpg. Instead of going directly home afterward, I drove to a nearby grocery store -- a route that probably goes down almost as much as it goes up. Again I got 18 mpg where I would've normally gotten no more than 15-16 mpg. Can't wait to try this on the freeway, where in local driving, I'm lucky to hit 22 mpg. The bottom line seems to be that the virtual needles are more helpful than the numerical average and real-time MPG readouts.

I know that these mileage results must sound pretty pitiful here, and they are compared to what we get in our '12 Camry hybrid. But, hey, the RAV4
has a 3.5 L, 268 hp engine that's not to be sniffed at. I love having all that power when I need it. Power is one of the reasons I opted for a 200 hp TCH over a 134 hp Prius. My wife drives the Camry most of the time. We both love it. I'd love to get a hybrid with the same utility as the RAV4 in a couple of years. I've been looking at the Prius v as a possible replacement, but I'm having trouble getting my head around its -- to me -- puny-sounding 134 combined hp.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

I bought the scan gauge II back when that version came out with the larger readout scale.
Toyota didn't offer a trip computer on our six-cylinder, '07 RAV4. Being the ****-retentive sort MPG-wise, I considered the Scan Gauge, but didn't want to mess around with all the wiring. After I got a new Bluetooth-enabled Garmin GPS, I discovered an alternative. Garmin sells a gizmo called the EcoRoute HD for $100. You plug it into the car's OBDII port (like the Scan Gauge) and it sends all the data wirelessly to a compatible Garmin GPS or an Android smart phone, where it's displayed on various user-selected screens. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

Until today, I always went to a screen that displayed average and real-time gas mileage and used the real-time feedback to adjust my driving in order to elevate the average MPG. My most frequently driven route is between our house and our health club a couple of miles away, with multiple stop signs and a number of elevation changes -- mostly downhill toward the club, which is near Monterey Bay, and mostly uphill on the way home. Starting from our house, the distance is not really far enough to warm up the car on a cold morning. The best mileage I've been able to get on the outbound trip of late has been about 15-16 mpg. After reading your post about the Scan Gauge, I tried something different -- I went to the gauge screen, which on my GPS shows engine temp, engine load, timing advance, intake manifold pressure and RPMs. Today as I drove to the club, I kept an eye on the engine-load gauge, and tried to keep the reading as close to 50 percent as I could when I had to give the engine gas and see how low I could get it to go when coasting downhill, or pulsing and gliding. Lo and behold, I achieved 18 mpg between our house and the club instead of 15-16 mpg. Instead of going directly home afterward, I drove to a nearby grocery store -- a route that probably goes down almost as much as it goes up. Again I got 18 mpg where I would've normally gotten no more than 15-16 mpg. Can't wait to try this on the freeway, where in local driving, I'm lucky to hit 22 mpg. The bottom line seems to be that the virtual needles are more helpful than the numerical average and real-time MPG readouts.

I know that these mileage results must sound pretty pitiful here, and they are compared to what we get in our '12 Camry hybrid. But, hey, the RAV4
has a 3.5 L, 268 hp engine that's not to be sniffed at. I love having all that power when I need it. Power is one of the reasons I opted for a 200 hp TCH over a 134 hp Prius. My wife drives the Camry most of the time. We both love it. I'd love to get a hybrid with the same utility as the RAV4 in a couple of years. I've been looking at the Prius v as a possible replacement, but I'm having trouble getting my head around its -- to me -- puny-sounding 134 combined hp.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I'm jealous. I have a 2012 TCH. Bought it for the MPG's advertised and I can see that some people are getting great mileage. I've got 10,000 miles on mine now. My best MPG has been 34 MPG. I just came back from a trip to Nashville from Atlanta. I have carefully noted the mileage and the amount of gas it takes to fill the car up. My mileage for the trip was 29.8, the lowest yet. The computer was indicating 32 to as much as 34.5 MPG's. Mostly it's pretty consistant at around 32 to 33 MPG.

Took it to Toyota, they said they couldn't get to it until after the holidays, so I'm going back. Is it possible that I got a 2011 engine? My sister-in-law gets this kind of mileage in her 2011 TCH. Never-the-less I'm really disappointed. But here's the real kicker, I love how the car drives, it has great acceleration, great brakes, great traction on wet roads. I can't find any thing I don't like about it except MPG's.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mike,

I live between Atlanta and Nashville and drive to both of them often. A key to your mileage problem might lie with one statement from your post "it has great acceleration".

If you drive aggressively and/or fast, your mileage will suffer. I Have a 2008 Camry and depending on how I drive, the mileage will run from 45 mpg to 34 mpg. Summer driving at 60 to 65, no AC and easy throttle changes and light braking will yield the upper range.

Driving during the winter, starting quickly from a stop, hard braking and running 70 to 75 (or even 80) will drop the mileage down to 33 to 34 mpg. Don't forget that Nashville is on the Cumberland plateau and you had to go over Monteagle to get there as well.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: My new 857 mile tank at 59.9 mpg

Thanks, I sort of knew the "how you drive" statement would come up. But, I'm 67 and a VERY conservative driver, so how I drive is really not the issue. If it was then I would be getting 60+ MPG's. Same with my 2002 Honda Accord. I get a little better than the stated MPG range. I've nursed it along to about 26 MPG on most highway trips. This is good because these Hondas don't get really good mileage, but, being a conscious consumer of gas, (meaning I watch how I drive), I get a small amount better mileage. I also do some of what you said about not using AC, I don't unless it is really hot.

No, this is not a "normal" mileage. There is something wrong. I was trying to inquire if anyone else has had a problem like this. I'm going to take it to Mall of Georgia Toyota tomorrow morning and leave it with them all day. I'll let everyone here know what happens. My wife drove it today and she said a "Maintenance Required" notice popped up over the top of the computer readout of the estimated MPG's. It's not due for any scheduled maintenance so maybe this is related.

Thanks again

Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Aptos Driver
Toyota didn't offer a trip computer on our six-cylinder, '07 RAV4. Being the ****-retentive sort MPG-wise, I considered the Scan Gauge, but didn't want to mess around with all the wiring. After I got a new Bluetooth-enabled Garmin GPS, I discovered an alternative. Garmin sells a gizmo called the EcoRoute HD for $100. You plug it into the car's OBDII port (like the Scan Gauge) and it sends all the data wirelessly to a compatible Garmin GPS or an Android smart phone, where it's displayed on various user-selected screens. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

You bet anyway to watch the engine load can help better your gas mileage. The brand of tires, I find michelin the best if they are the LRR type. I looked up your '07 RAV4 under the 4 wheel drive model. The gov site shows the EPA sticker at 19 city, 21 combined and 26 highway.

You should be able to match or exceeded these figures with the exception of some locations. With the high hp engine you have in the RAV4 it's most mpg sensitive when you accelerate from a stop. Try a moderate acceleration and see if that helps your mpg. You can also use the rpm to try various rpm as you accelerate. To slow takes longer got get up to speed, too fast and your getting maybe 3 mpg as you accelerate.

Also overlooked many times is high humid areas where the engine does not do as well for mpg, compared to the very dry areas like arizona and new mexico.

I learned this on some vacation trips from Dallas to Los Angeles. I found my 4-cyl Chevy Cavalier I was driving then would get around 37/38 highway. But across New Mexico and usually Arizona it would jump as high as 42 mpg. When I lived in Texas I remember some days you would have to barely touch the accelerator to cruise along at 55 to 60 mph. Those were the warm 75 to 80 degree days with no wind and nice deep blue skies. Now I know the hotter days it was also less humid which evidently helps the engine perform better without any extra gas.

Be sure to take a look at the new Prius, especially it's ability to be roomy in the back, especially with the rear seat folded down. People that own them love them. I do know they up the power on the Prius often and maybe even better the mpg. Best to test drive one but remember the engine will not put out max power due to it not being broke in. I don't keep up much with the Prius as i'm a tall big guy and the Camry seemed to fit me better.

One thing about like the Camry hybrid is that is has 200 hp at full throttle, but usually drives on the engine or battery and sometimes both at the same time to help save gas.

I will pass on to you that if you can drive you RAV4 at 46 to 48 mph safely with cruise you may see your mpg improve. Any slower may lug the engine somewhat. Any faster, then you have more wind resistance on the front of your vehicle. You can use your rpm reading maybe with someone else watching for it to drop maybe 300 to 500 rpm once the automatic transmission goes into overdrive usually at 45 to 48 mph speeds.

My wife has a 2010 Ford Ranger pickup. She got 30 mpg during the summer so far. The truck came with Continental Contac truck tires. She drives only at 46 mph where she sees the oem tack drop about 400 rpm. She had a blowout for some unkown reason and I bought her a new set of Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires which are LRR tires. Now she is getting 29 mpg driving in the winter only during the daylight hours. She is looking forward to see how the tires may have upped her summer driving mpg. I would much rather bought her a set of Michelin truck tires but they did not make then in the 15" size that would fit her pickup. The MXV4 Primacy 94H series is the tire to get for your Camry.

I found a discount tire store that gave me $65 trade in for each new bridgestone tire that came on my new '12 TCH XLE. I did have to pay $540 difference but was worth it to get a better LRR long lasting tires that rode quieter and smoother then the oem's.

You mention your 268 hp RAV4 engine reminds me of my drag racing days when was young. Did you know the Corvette engine was also available in the '57 Chevy if it was special ordered. It was a short stroke V8 engine with higher compression and a duntov cam with solid lifters. It with it's two 4-bbl carbs would easily rev to 7000 rpm which put out 270 hp. As you can see it didn't get very good mpg with the car body weighing only 3350 pounds. That's another many over look for mpg. The heavy truck body will hurt you mpg when accelerating. I hear guys griping about their big pickups drinking gas. What do they expect with a big 4.5 to 6.5 liter, 411 hp engine and having to move a 6500 pound pickup from a standing start.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I hear guys griping about their big pickups drinking gas. What do they expect with a big 4.5 to 6.5 liter, 411 hp engine and having to move a 6500 pound pickup from a standing start.
Jimmy,

I can't seem to get good mileage from a little light weight car with a teeny 347 roller....must be doing something wrong.....

Mustang_001.jpg

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Jimmy,

I can't seem to get good mileage from a little light weight car with a teeny 347 roller....must be doing something wrong.....
That's one great looking Mustang. Is that 347 cubic feet with a roller that has trouble getting traction. Wide rear slicks would ruin the good looks of your car. It's a shame they can't make better normal looking high traction tires for the lighter cars with the nicer fun like engines for us more sports minded guys. Maybe they do..

This reminds me of back when Atlas use to make a very popular Bucron tire. The tread was made of very soft rubber and was hard to spin even with a big engine. That including me as being young I would race around town. Driven normally these cars looked near stock to the cops unless they saw you taking off with a heavy foot.

Mine was the '57 Chevy wagon with a corvette engine under the hood. After 43 speeding and reckless driving tickets and 2 license suspensions I then raced it only at the drag strips. Was not much city traffic in those days and not that many patrol cars. At age 25 I decided to go just for gas mileage after selling my race car.

Found this below in the jalopy journal talking about these tires..

Atlas Bucron Tires

They were made of almost pure butyl rubber. The center was almost like today's cheater slicks with a groove on each side around the tire. If you were lucky you could get 10,000 miles on a set. But they would stick like glue to the pavement.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Jimmy,

That is my weekend "fun" car. Still have the 5.13 gears for the 1/8 mile track in the garage. Right now it is running 3.20 gears thru a built up C4 for cruising on the street to get to local get-togethers. Actually the gas mileage isn't that bad considering it's running in excess of 450 HP. Maintaining 65 or so on the interstate it will average around 23 to 24 mpg.

On the strip, around 1 mpg........

If you hang out on the JJ, I stay on a couple of other sites Ryan started (sometimes on the HAMB and mostly on Garage Journal) with the same user name as here.

It just occured to me I probably caused 20 or 30 heart attacks by putting that picture on a hybrid site dedicated to mileage but I figure we're all car nuts (one way or the other) on here. By the way, I still remember those old Atlas tires. I was running MT Cheaters back in the day when I raced on the streets but things were a little different back in the early 70's (the difference was I was young and stupid...).

Most people build a retirement house, I built a retirement garage.....

Quick Reply: My new 857 mile tank at 59.9 mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands