Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:03 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

I REALLY don't want you driving behind me thanks.

Not to worry, I'd never catch you.

(BTY, my wife likes the NAV, I'd have her navigate from the passenger seat)

Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast

I have received the nav unit from oemvalue and it is partially installed. I am waiting until I have found enough info and maybe a plug before I finish the install.

The plug that connects the mic/bluetooth etc is not the one that fits the nav unit, others have removed the pins from the old plug and just slid them onto the pins in the nav but I would prefer to use a plug.

Also I do not have enough info to enable the energy screen yet, if it is possible.
I have ordered a CD that the seller says has all the hybrid manuals, hope the wiring one is included.

Will report back when i have more news.

Rick

Old 09-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

So, other than the mic connector and the energy screen everything else worked? Where did you get this CD repair manaul from?

Old 09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast

I have only connected the plugs that fit the nav unit so far.
The nav system works other than the voice guidance. It came with version 6.1

The audio sounds better than the 6 disc unit it replaced, it has ASL and RDS.

I purchased the CD from compubuildernet on Ebay, hopefully I shall receive it before the weekend and verify if it has the Hybrid wiring diagram.

Originally Posted by elmo
So, other than the mic connector and the energy screen everything else worked? Where did you get this CD repair manaul from?

Old 09-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

I think what we need is the US hybrid wiring diagrams.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stinger123
I have only connected the plugs that fit the nav unit so far.
The nav system works other than the voice guidance. It came with version 6.1

The audio sounds better than the 6 disc unit it replaced, it has ASL and RDS.

I purchased the CD from compubuildernet on Ebay, hopefully I shall receive it before the weekend and verify if it has the Hybrid wiring diagram.
Can you figure out how to unlock version 6.1 of the nav DVD from your wiring CD? I read in a different forum someone suggesting that some nav systems (not necessarily TCH's) can be unlocked by grounding the GPS "park" wire. I don't know if this will work, I just thought I'd mention it while you have your system open.

Last edited by spam2000; 09-12-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Just heard from my dealer:

The factory's "official" response is that you cannot retrofit the Nav unit into the hybrid. I'm trying to confirm with another dealer.

Also checking on 3rd party units as well, though I would like the Toyota model the hassle factor is getting higher.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV

Our hopes are on you stinger! keep us posted!

Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Some more information from the dealer/factory.

As I understand it, cars equipped with the nav system get a different wiring harness for the console than cars without. Cars without get the standard upper-end Camry system, not the hybrid specific one. That harness does not have the Energy Module system integrated, and it is possible the wiring for that information may not even be near the console area.

Unconfirmed is that a separate computer module may be needed to process that information for the Nav unit. Its listed as a separate part but the technician in Kentucky we were speaking to did not know offhand if it was installed in TCH without the Nav.

According to them, the Nav and audio systems would work fine without modification. They could not guarantee that the steering wheel controls would work and said the Hybrid display would not work without modifying wiring, which will void the warranty at a minimum for the harness and the sound system.

We then spoke to a customer service rep at Toyota who said that although they could not commit to it by any means, demand was high enough for the upgrade that based on her past experience, the rep expected an upgrade kit to be made available for dealer installation within a year (apparently this has happened in the past).

With that in mind, I chose to purchase a portable unit and will ride with it for a year, then see what is in the market. The local sound shop near me also expected a large number of after-market wiring harnesses to come out in the next 6 months to allow units like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 to work completely with all the onboard features.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Stinger :The Toyota part # for the Mic Plug at the Nav end is 90980-12404 . Loonbeam : It appears to me that the Nav system does not use any ecu's that are not already there in the 2007 Camry hybrid and are used for other purposes .Could you find out which module he is refering to . If it is the " hybrid vehicle control ecu " , the nav only uses two wires directly and one wire indirectly from this ecu although it has 112 input/output positions on one plug and 74 on the other . The radio receiver only uses 3 plugs where the Nav uses 5 plugs . There are two different style ( 20 position ) plugs which are identical on each harness but although the input/outputs are similar some are at different pin positions .

Last edited by paul29; 09-15-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation, adding it on afterwards

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands