odd odor

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: odd odor

The "natural" (Soy based) foam used in the seats and kick panels of most cars today has a rather unique smell to it. I noticed that small when I picked up my new 09 TCH, had just come off the delivery truck the day before so the dealer didnt have a chance to air it out like they usually do

Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Last year I ended up with a dead rat in my car. Talk about an "odd odor".

I cleaned the area as good as possible, but that smell was enough to gag a maggot on a fence post 2 miles away. I ended up buying a tub of activated charcoal from the aquarium supply store and a few pair of cheap socks from the dollar store. I filled half a dozen socks with granulated, activated charcoal and tied a knot in the top. One under each seat, a couple up under the dash, and one placed right on top of the cabin air filter. It was amazingly effective.

A couple weeks later I pulled them all back out and threw them away. Smells were gone. Not covered up with a spray, but gone for good.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

My Camry had an odd "barnyard" smell also. The wife figured out the problem after one trip with me. She said I couldn't have beans for dinner every night.......

Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
My Camry had an odd "barnyard" smell also. The wife figured out the problem after one trip with me. She said I couldn't have beans for dinner every night.......

Try switching to broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Bell Peppers, beer, and Taco Bell. She'll beg you to go back to the beans.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I've got a 2009 Camry Hybrid that I took into the dealer today for the floor mat recall and a similar odor problem. They confirmed the problem and said there was a service bulletin regarding this issue and ordered a replacement AC Evaporator unit for the car to solve the problem.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You've opened the floodgates on car odor now

We got an aftermarket replacement starter for a previous car: for about the first year there was a very peculiar odor, ever time we started the car, like something burning off on it.

Regarding "new car smell": something a little bizarre I've noticed: if we've been using the broiler pan, when washing it up in the sink, as soon as I hit it's greasy surface with dish wash liquid and start scrubbing, an odor comes up that's a dead ringer for new car smell.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 03-06-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

my wife notices an odor in my car every time she gets in the front seat. when i leave, so does the odor... must be the car seat me thinks.....