Options for HID-type halogen lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Options for HID-type halogen lights

[QUOTE=Geckoboy]I read that during my research into HID lights and noticed that if you follow the link to ECE regulation 48, the USA does not participate in it.

What else is new!

QUOTE=Geckoboy]Also, I noticed that in my previous 2003 Acura TL-S, the HID headlights were fixed (not auto leveling), and no lens cleaning system in place.

Because they are designed to meet US regulations which don't require them.

North American regulations and technology often lags far behind the rest of the world. Manufacturers here have always preferred to sell sizzle rather than substance. For example it was many years after superior radial ply tires became standard in Europe that NA manufacturers switched over from the inferior bias ply type they were selling here.

Okay, that's my rant from the moment

Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Enthusiast

Anytime man...post your picture so i can see how cool...

Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rcommander
i will soon post one! its looks awesome! Geckoboy: i dont know what kit you have but for mine..the one from autoxen that dereath recommended...the 15 amp fuse is more than enough. It works like a charm! thanks dereath for all your help!
Hi Rcommander,

I finally routed two 14awg wires from the battery to the engine compartment! phew!

Now I can actually get started on installing the kit. I was wondering where you put the ballasts and igniters and everything else? There seems to be a lot of space in the passenger side headlight, but on the drivers side, there is very little room to put stuff. Would you mind sharing where you placed them in your car? Pics would help too :-)

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Hi:
Recommendar had the same the product as mine and there is no igniters because it was already installed in the Ballasts. They were all Plug-and-play product and nothing much to install..just to find the place to mount the ballasts...I placed that under the headlamps by put them through the fog lights holes. and mount them/. i will try to take a pictures and post one..ok..

Can help if i can..

Old 11-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV
Talking Re: Options for HID-type halogen lights

Originally Posted by dareathlork
Hi:
Recommendar had the same the product as mine and there is no igniters because it was already installed in the Ballasts. They were all Plug-and-play product and nothing much to install..just to find the place to mount the ballasts...I placed that under the headlamps by put them through the fog lights holes. and mount them/. i will try to take a pictures and post one..ok..

Can help if i can..
Ya as he said its one unit. And i cannot take pictures because they are right behind my front bumper...stuck em on with mounting tape. as there was no need for me to run wires to the battery. it was simply plug and play it was the easiet thing i have ever done on my car!

i just reached up from the space for the fog lights and stuck the ballasts/igniters on. And it's been working like a charm! the lights are so good that there is no need for foglights! also the TCH reflectors work amazing with the HIDs unlike other cars which just produce glare.

IF ANYONE ELSE wants to order HIDs i would suggest go with autoxen and tell em dareth sent ya they'll discount the price! lol. i dont know if he gets commission. but I dont care since the kit was so easy to install...i am a total noob... COMPLETE noob! never even changed a shot bulb before...and i was able to install this kit with dareath's help!
Took me barely 10 mins to do it!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Enthusiast

How did you guys finally run the two power lines from the battery to the back?

Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpgjjgm
How did you guys finally run the two power lines from the battery to the back?
I ran two wires (sorry, i dont remember the AWG rating, but it was certified to at least 20amps i believe) from the battery to the front. I removed the trunk lining then the right-back padding on on the backseat, then the plastic floor panels on the right passenger and right driver side (sorry if I'm using the incorrect terms, it's been awhile). I then removed the glove box and you'll see a whole bunch of wires going through a rubber grommet through the firewall and into the engine compartment. I used a bamboo skewer and tightly taped a wire to it (like a needle-and-thread) and pushed it through the bottom of the grommet (i made sure the wires that went through it did not get in the way).

That's what I did, I'm not sure what everyone else did.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Hi All,

Since HID's are a little pricey for my budget at the moment, I'm considering getting HID-type halogens in the meantime. A friend of mine suggested Sylvania Silverstar brands, but it appears that they dont make H11 type bulbs in the Silverstar. The '07 TCH uses H11 type bulbs for the low beam headlights. Philips also do not make any 4000K+ lights for H11 type bulbs.

After much investigation, here are a few brands that provide H11 type halogen bulbs:

PIAA Xtreme White Plus (4000K) - $88.00 bucks for a pair.
MTec 2x Super White H11 (4350K) - $26.00 for a pair
Luminics Ultra White H11 (5150K) - $25.00 for a pair

Besides PIAA's, has anyone heard of Mtec or Luminics? I've read on other boards that they are decent, japan import equipments. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

The PIAA's are a little much for me. I'm looking for a short term replacement to the stock halogen lights. Eventually I will move up to HID's, but in the meantime, I just want a little more visibility driving dark roads so I have a better change avoiding the little critters that come out at night, especially when we roll back our clocks at the end of this month.

Thanks to all!

Hi,
Just want to let you know of my experience. I just installed a 55W 4300K HID kit yesterday. I did the research and ended up chosing Retro-solutions (http://www.retro-solutions.com) offering on eBay for $159. It came with digital DSP ballasts and carried a lifetime warranty. It shipped in a neat, padded aluminum briefcase to prevent shipping damages. It is completely "plug and play" and even includes the male connector for the OEM lamp connector to plug into.

Todd (retro-solutions) answered all of my questions and was very helpful. He even threw in a capacitor mod. pigtail so I could retain my "auto" setting functionality. Just need to attach the pigtail between the OEM lamp connector and the ballast. Need to place pins inside male connector housing (supplied) being conscious of polarity (capacitor is polarity sensitive). For pigtail, red is positive and other color is negative. Need to turn on headlights and check the polarity on the OEM lamp connector.

Install was a breeze! Dropped the plastic under carriage shield for the driver side ballast mounting access. Mounted both ballasts to the ground wire locations. Driver side is visible when looking up from under the carriage and passenger side is visible in the engine compartment. Just use the orginal bolt to fasten the ballasts. Everything else in plug/play and tie up using supplied tie wraps. No power wire run or extra relay needed.

Lights were super bright and the OEM projector lens controlled aim and glare. You'd be way happier with installing an HID kit instead of trying to replace your lamps with other kinds of lamps. You can't imaging the difference in lumen (brightness) output until you actually see it.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Options for HID-type halogen lights

We are very glad to see your message!
We’d like to tell something about us, As a prefessional and reliable HID manufacturer with reputation In China, We had taken up large market share depending on high quality , good after-sales service and competitve price.Firstly , we had became a good partner with EPE , TC-Philips and GE and set a long-term cooperation plan. Secondly , many electonical componets are imported from Japan.To reach highest quality is our final goal all the time.

As for all products , they must not only passed ten tests ,like Salt mist test , matching ,drop , hign temperature, and anti-shock test., polarity protection test, 24hours six special old testing , connection circuit protection testm ,cold/warm boot test.And we provide 14 months warranty for all products which also passed fully inspection before shipment.You will find more advantages in price and quallity.And all products had got the international ISO9001-2000 quality system certification , European E-mark,ROHS , E13,TUV and CE approval.Lets have our business from trial order.

Please let us have your email address and MSN, so that we can serve you better next . Should you have any questions ,please feel free to contact us. We will provide you required information by soonest.Thank you very much!

Yours Truly
Factory:Guangzhou FP Sci-Technology Co., Ltd.
Branch: Guangzhou Jent Trade Co.; Ltd.( with the right to export and import)
Thanks& Best Regards
Chris Mao
Tel: +86-020-61939888 ext.1066 cell phohp:008615989102414
MSN: Chrismao2008@hotmail.com , Email: chris@phohp.com
Company website: http://www.phohp.net or http://phohp.en.alibaba.com
Address:NO#6 Zhufen West Street, Shiqi Village, Shiqi Town, Panyu District,Guangzhou Guangdong Province,P.R.C.511450

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
H4 H-L.jpg (70.8 KB, 77 views)
HID_xenon bulb.jpg (33.4 KB, 288 views)
MN-B4.jpg (46.2 KB, 48 views)
sb.jpg (112.2 KB, 23 views)
FP-BOX1.jpg (56.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris Mao
We are very glad to see your message!
We’d like to tell something about us, As a prefessional and reliable HID manufacturer with reputation In China, We had taken up large market share depending on high quality , good after-sales service and competitve price.Firstly , we had became a good partner with EPE , TC-Philips and GE and set a long-term cooperation plan. Secondly , many electonical componets are imported from Japan.To reach highest quality is our final goal all the time.

As for all products , they must not only passed ten tests ,like Salt mist test , matching ,drop , hign temperature, and anti-shock test., polarity protection test, 24hours six special old testing , connection circuit protection testm ,cold/warm boot test.And we provide 14 months warranty for all products which also passed fully inspection before shipment.You will find more advantages in price and quallity.And all products had got the international ISO9001-2000 quality system certification , European E-mark,ROHS , E13,TUV and CE approval.Lets have our business from trial order.

Please let us have your email address and MSN, so that we can serve you better next . Should you have any questions ,please feel free to contact us. We will provide you required information by soonest.Thank you very much!

Yours Truly
Factory:Guangzhou FP Sci-Technology Co., Ltd.
Branch: Guangzhou Jent Trade Co.; Ltd.( with the right to export and import)
Thanks& Best Regards
Chris Mao
Tel: +86-020-61939888 ext.1066 cell phohp:008615989102414
MSN: Chrismao2008@hotmail.com , Email: chris@phohp.com
Company website: http://www.phohp.net or http://phohp.en.alibaba.com
Address:NO#6 Zhufen West Street, Shiqi Village, Shiqi Town, Panyu District,Guangzhou Guangdong Province,P.R.C.511450
The halogen high/low dual filament bulbs in my '88 Porsche 911 and my 2000 MH/RV Ford E350 chasis have one filament mounted just above and slightly to one side of the other. It seems to me that an HID replacement/retrofit/upgrade would require a bulb with movement upward and to the side slightly in order to replicate the OEM bulb and still work properly with the OEM reflector assembly.

Yet all the HID upgrades I can find either move the bulb forward and backward (0.25 inches{??}), only, or forward and backward, but in the "back" position the arc center point is offset to simulate the second halogen bulb filament.

Thus I cannot get "proper" beam patetrn coverage in both high and low beam coverage.

Do you have a "proper" solution..??

Last edited by wwest; 12-29-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Options for HID-type halogen lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands