Plasmacluster Ionizer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Plasmacluster Ionizer

Originally Posted by juicius
Any reason the non-asthmatic of the couple can't regularly wipe down the surfaces? Ionizers don't create dust and pollutants. They just settle them down to surfaces where they can be wiped off. I would think that pollutants and irritants sticking to where they can be cleaned off easier rather than just floating around in the air is a better choice.

I've been driving TCH for about 4 months and I can't say I've noticed any more dust sticking to surfaces during that time. I should know; I haven't cleaned the inside yet.
Juicius, I can't say for 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure your assumption is correct. I really think this is only of serious concern to someone with asthma. Basically, you have a much hardier resistance, and this is an issue for someone with a frailer respiratory response.

Basically, it's the same concept as drinking cups of coffee. One person can drink one cup and get the jitters... while somebody else can drink five cups and take a nap. It's all a matter of how healthy your resistance is.

Cleaning the surfaces is an EXCELLENT suggestion, because as you have stated - the ionizer doesn't create the particles. If someone vacuums and cleans the surfaces... this is going to help a lot.

Side note... we went down and looked at the Altima hybrid last night. It is a beautiful car. But I'm trying to find out what kind of MPG drivers are actually getting. I guess Car and Driver magazine wrote an article... and they stated the MPG was in the 20s. someone on another thread, though, said that Car and Driver is a biased magazine when it comes to hybrids. Unfortunately, I can't find any drivers on the forum here yet who actually own an Altima hybrid to see what their real tank experience is like.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Marianne — We're supposed to have some warmer weather here this coming weekend. I'll try to get my head under the dash and see whether I can actually locate the Plasmacluster ionizer. If I can see it, I can probably make a more educated guess as to whether one can disconnect it from the wiring harness without doing any dismantling of the dash. I'll let you know what I discover.

Stan

Old 03-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Stan, you are amazing. Please let me know.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Marianne — Well, if you lie on your back and maneuver your head under the dash (on the driver's side), you can see the black duct that carries the air to the driver's side vent. The Plasmacluster is mounted on the side of this duct, as the diagrams show. Unfortunately, there's a large metal reinforcing bracket that obscures one's direct view of the Plasmacluster, but if your hands are small (like mine), you can slide your right hand in and feel the Plasmacluster with its connector going to the wiring harness. I think that, with some effort, one could spring the catch and unplug the connector. But it won't be trivial to do so, because you can't see the connector. Perhaps a mirror would help. There's not much free space in there, but it may be possible to get a light and mirror in there to reveal the connector behind the bracket. I think you should show the Toyota service manager the Manual pages, and tell him that you'll buy a TCH if he will disconnect the Plasmacluster. The reply you received from Toyota is par for the course in my experience — as Nero Wolfe would have said: "Flummery!"

Stan

Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I agree with Stan...state your case to the dealer and ask for it to be disconnect. I'm sure with a little negotiation everyone could be happy .

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Stan - thank you!

I did state my case to the dealer. I told him I would buy the car if the dealership could disconnect the ionizer. He told me to call the service department... and the service department told me they didn't have a clue if it could be done.

At this point, we are looking seriously at the Altima hybrid, and we are going to go back today and retest drive the Prius. A friend of my husband's is 6'5" and he says he drives his wife's Prius all the time with no problem.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marianne
Stan - thank you!

I did state my case to the dealer. I told him I would buy the car if the dealership could disconnect the ionizer. He told me to call the service department... and the service department told me they didn't have a clue if it could be done.

At this point, we are looking seriously at the Altima hybrid, and we are going to go back today and retest drive the Prius. A friend of my husband's is 6'5" and he says he drives his wife's Prius all the time with no problem.
I'm not sure where you live or how many dealers are close by, but have you considered going to another dealer?

Good luck with whatever car you choose.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Marianne
Stan - thank you!

Having owned and driven a '04 Prius and now a '07 Camry Hybrid I can tell you that the Prius has just as much leg and head room as the TCH. The Prius is a fooler. It's a LOT roomier on the inside than it appears from the outside. If you actually have not sat in one and given it a testdrive you are doing the Prius a disservice.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

The Plasmacluster generator was one of the reasons I bought the car. I drive my car through areas where the air is filled with Valley Fever (Coccidiodomycosis) spores. This is a very debilitating disease and I'm still recovering after 18 months. The Plasmacluster destroys airborne pathogens as described http://www.sharp.ca/products/ion/plasma_2.asp, and generate 0.001 ppm of ozone, http://www.sharp.ca/products/ion/faqs.asp. That's one part per billion!

The Plasmacluster as you might deduce from its name generates a plasma, which is a balanced mixture of positive and negative ions, i.e., there is no net electrical charge associated with a plasma. Ion generators on the other hand generate either positive or negative ions, and the air they output does have a net charge. The home units can be forced into a negative ion mode, but that has the disadvantage of plating dust to surfaces. In the plasma mode, equal numbers of positive and negative ions attach to pathogens/dust and since there is no net charge, the particles do not attach themselves to surfaces.

I have been running a large home unit 24/7, for nearly two years, and I have a friend who's been using one for about year. Neither of us have felt any adverse effects from doing so. These units are also being used in hospitals overseas.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

SciFi, ionizers don't "destroy" the spores. That is advertising fiction. Nothing more. Ionizers work by attaching particles to nearby surfaces, not destroying them. Given your recent condition this would actually be particularly hazardous to you as one of the "surfaces" in your environment is your lung tissue.

This is why HEPA is used in medical environments. HEPA removes ultra fine particles. Ionizers do not. If you read the EPA, CDC, and FDA commentary on air cleaners, you will learn that ionization is NOT a prefered medical technology for the reasons I've stated.

You are absolutely incorrect that the particles are not attaching to surfaces because of an "equal" distribution of charge. That is just fictitious thinking.

And you can mince with terminology, but ionizers DO attach a positive or negative charge to a particle. They emit positive and negative ions, and that ion attaches to the particle. that is what makes a charged particle attach to a surface.

All in all given your description of your recent health problem, the LAST thing you want in your car. I would also strongly suggest you get rid of the one in your home.

And regarding Sharp's 1 part per billion ozone out put, I've yet to find an independent verification of this claim. MANY air purifiers that generate high amounts of ozone claim to produce "neglibible" amounts of ozone. This has particularly been a problem since Consumer Reports did such an effective expose on these devices. And just as an FYI, a statement that an ionizer produces "only 1 part per billion" is contrary to all information I can find on measuring ozone production as it appears meassuring equipment cannot test lower than 3 parts per billion, so even a device that produced NO ozone at all should record a 3 parts per billion minimum result.

Ozone is an issue with ANY ionizer, but as I said earlier - the bigger concern for me is the depostion of particulate. I think if someone isn't asthmatic and the surfaces in the car are routinely cleaned - that this may not be a serious issue. But posting missinformation, whether intentionally or by error, can be of consequence when you are dealing with respiratory issues like severe asthma.

Quick Reply: Plasmacluster Ionizer

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands