Poor gas mileage problem easily solved. D'oh!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Poor gas mileage problem easily solved. D'oh!

I had my Michies set for 36psi in mid June. I checked a week ago and they had fallen to 32-33psi across all 4 tires. No one has touched them but me. I suspect cooler temps and a bit of normal escape were the cause. The overnight temps around here have fallen off from around 20C (70F) to near 10C (50F). We'll be into freezing overnight temps in another 6-8 weeks so that's about when I'll try to remember to check them again. The first TCH winter cometh, it will be interesting to see new winter related threads start appearing on this forum.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Anyone who might be interested in topics about over-inflating tire pressures (or any topic, for that matter), first try doing a keyword search in the forums. There's a good chance that your topic may have already been discussed, and re-discussed. So much good information and documentation lies dormant in the annals of greenhybrid.com.
Based on all those prior threads, I increased the tire pressure on my Michelins from 32psi all around up to 38psi during my last fillup. But I have not noticed any increased FE on this tank of gas, even though I drive the same roads every single day. In fact, I seem to have lost 1mpg, as I was consistently getting a 37mpg reading on the computer, and now I'm getting 36mpg (although I am attributing that to some increased highway traffic that I've experienced the past week.) On the next fillup, I'm going to go up to 40psi.

It would be interesting to correlate higher tire pressure with the specific tires (Michelin vs. Bridgestone) for each person that is doing this.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Arrow Re: Poor gas mileage problem easily solved. D'oh!

At 40+ PSI, I got 44 MPG on my trip this week from San Diego to LA and back (about 240 miles, including errands), according to the instantaneous readout. Speed was 65-70 MPH, with A/C running in ECO mode 100% of the time. Now, we'll see how city driving and short trips will ding me during the rest of this tank!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Just bumped my Michlin's to 40# form 36# but have not driven it since.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 AM

I've been steadily increasing my mileage with each tank. First one was 36.4 and when I filled up yesterday my last one was 43.5. At the same time I increased my tire pressure from 32 to 40 psi. My current tank is 46.2, but with less than 50 miles it's way too soon to say what, if any benefit I'll get.