Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

Originally Posted by dcemureviews
Another reason why you're blowing fuse is because you're using 7w. Its too powerful for the turn signals. It works fine using 7w on rear turn signals.

I noted that the SACK/SWACK is needed for front turn signals for in the Master List of LEDs Bulb Sizes & DIY/Tutorials for Interior/Exterior Lights
Standard front parking/turn signal bulbs are 27W and rear turn turn signal bulbs are 25W, so 7W should be fine for either. The were only shorting when I had a + and touching a ground.

Last edited by ruc2827; 06-20-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey
my hazard lights work regardless of ignition, whether it be on or off or in parked position.

I bought my relay unit from superbrightleds.com which was about 4 dollars cheaper. I noted that the end digit was 04 where as I have seen identical unit ending with an end digit of 08.
Are you referring to the one you bought when you say "I noted that the end digit was 04"? Superbrightleds.com lists the CF18-08 whereas v-leds lists the CF18-04. I got the CF18-04 at V-LEDS and the hazard lights do not work when the car is off, same as dcemureviews, although he said the CF18-08 he bought at superbrightleds.com had the same problem. So, I'm trying to figure out what version works. I'm wondering if it depends on the type of lights or the year of TCH. I have a 2009 TCH and have the V-LED 7W higher power LED 7443 in back and V-LED 7W higher power LED 3157 in front. I noticed dcemureviews is using the same V-LED 7443 bulb as myself, although is using a V-LED standard M-SMT 7143 bulb in front. Tharvey, what year is your TCH, what bulbs are you using, and can you confirm your flasher is a CF18-08 which is what superbrightleds.com sells? Note, I also see a CF18-ALT sold at http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm. The spec doc at superbrightleds.com also calls it the CF18-ALT. The problem with all of these is they have the identical numbers on the outside of the flasher (81980-50030 066400-4650) which is the P/N for the OEM part they are replacing (note, the TCH OEM P/N is different: 81980-06020 TN066500-6230).

Last edited by ruc2827; 06-21-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

my vehicle is a 2009 hybrid and I am using their 3w single bulbs. It worked perfectly before I changed the flasher except they hyper-flashed.

I bought the led flasher from superbrightleds.com and the only function I lost was the lock and un-lock confirmation flash which is what they state on their site you will loose.

I have no alarm installed and the only other things I have done was to add a parallel circuit to the turn signals to light up the led's on the folding mirrors.

tim

Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey
my vehicle is a 2009 hybrid and I am using their 3w single bulbs. It worked perfectly before I changed the flasher except they hyper-flashed.

I bought the led flasher from superbrightleds.com and the only function I lost was the lock and un-lock confirmation flash which is what they state on their site you will loose.

I have no alarm installed and the only other things I have done was to add a parallel circuit to the turn signals to light up the led's on the folding mirrors.

tim
Thanks, I'll try superbrightleds.com and see if it works. dcemureviews may have something else going on which is why his didn't work. V-LEDS has an no questions asked return policy, so I'll just return my other one.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ruc2827
Are you referring to the one you bought when you say "I noted that the end digit was 04"? Superbrightleds.com lists the CF18-08 whereas v-leds lists the CF18-04. I got the CF18-04 at V-LEDS and the hazard lights do not work when the car is off, same as dcemureviews, although he said the CF18-08 he bought at superbrightleds.com had the same problem. So, I'm trying to figure out what version works. I'm wondering if it depends on the type of lights or the year of TCH. I have a 2009 TCH and have the V-LED 7W higher power LED 7443 in back and V-LED 7W higher power LED 3157 in front. I noticed dcemureviews is using the same V-LED 7443 bulb as myself, although is using a V-LED standard M-SMT 7143 bulb in front. Tharvey, what year is your TCH, what bulbs are you using, and can you confirm your flasher is a CF18-08 which is what superbrightleds.com sells? Note, I also see a CF18-ALT sold at http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm. The spec doc at superbrightleds.com also calls it the CF18-ALT. The problem with all of these is they have the identical numbers on the outside of the flasher (81980-50030 066400-4650) which is the P/N for the OEM part they are replacing (note, the TCH OEM P/N is different: 81980-06020 TN066500-6230).
Yes, the V-LEDS and SuperBrightLEDs have the same number on the outside of the flasher. As noted, only difference is the number in CF18-04 and CF18-08. This could be an inventory/part number for the company selling it. I highly thought there would be different versions.
Thanks, I'll try superbrightleds.com and see if it works. dcemureviews may have something else going on which is why his didn't work. V-LEDS has an no questions asked return policy, so I'll just return my other one.

Thanks,
Russ
At first I thought it was my switchbacks. Than I plugged the filament bulbs back and they still didnt work. I thought about putting back the rear turn signal bulbs back and see if that could be the reason. Its been raining for 2 weeks here in NYC so I havent had the change. I will do it when I get home since it seems to be not raining and it will begin raining again tonight.

I'm hoping that it could be lower wattage from the LED that is causing it.

I'm going to leave switchbacks in, stock bulbs for rear and see. Than i'm going to change all the bulbs back to stock and see if hazards with no key works.

V-LEDs charges a 20% restocking fee if you're returning. If both versions didnt work for me, it probably wont work for you. Since we both use the same rear turn signals and no hazards with no key, this could be the culprit.

Last edited by dcemureviews; 06-22-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I came home and it was sprinkling a little. But not bad enough to prevent me from swapping the bulbs. I put back the stock bulbs for the front and rear turn signals. Tried hazards with key, it works. Tried hazards wit no key, it doesnt work. So its not the bulb and it has to be the flasher module. It has nothing to do with my aftermarket alarm since my hazards worked before putting in the led flasher and the alarm has nothing to do nor is it connected to the flasher module.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Rear turn signal bulbs and LED replacements

I got the CF18-08 electronic flasher from superbrightleds.com and it works with the ignition off. dcemureviews, since you bought this same one, are you sure you didn't put the VLEDS flasher back in by mistake when you swapped it out with the superbrightleds flasher? They look identical, so it is possible. Otherwise, you might exchange it with another from superbrightleds, since it seems to work and we have very simliiar configuration. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

I got the CF18-08 electronic flasher from superbrightleds.com and it works with the ignition off. dcemureviews, since you bought this same one, are you sure you didn't put the VLEDS flasher back in by mistake when you swapped it out with the superbrightleds flasher? They look identical, so it is possible. Otherwise, you might exchange it with another from superbrightleds, since it seems to work and we have very simliiar configuration. Good luck.
Nope. I unclipped vleds flasher module from the cable and plugged it into the superbrightleds. Than i went and removed the vleds module from the clip and placed the superbright in its place.

You think it could be my Viper alarm?