Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Researchers say they've hacked car door locks (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/researchers-say-theyve-hacked-car-door-locks-15065/)

mikieboyblue 08-28-2007 08:59 AM

Researchers say they've hacked car door locks

Here is an interesting article...

Researchers say they've hacked car door locks - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/08/res...say.html#posts

ckw_64 08-28-2007 10:38 AM

Re: Researchers say they've hacked car door locks

Hmm, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Fun read, especially the reader responses below. I can't believe some people still think you can 'record' the rf transmissions (or 'chirps' - lmao) coming from the keyfob with your cell phone and then play it back to open your car. Oh brother.

abward 08-29-2007 04:37 AM

But I never use the button on my FOB, and I just let it pick up the signal from my pocket.

Since I have to be within 1 meter of the door, I doubt they could pick this conversation up easily, unlike other cars. Go Toyota!

Pete4 08-29-2007 07:09 AM

Actually, the whole idea is that key can be interrogated when inside your pocket and the distance at which it could work could be easily increased by using bigger antenna and stronger signal, of course within reasonable limits. So it would be possible for some high tech thief to still your codes while you have dinner in the restaurant for example. Still I don't believe this is going to be big problem. Since cars became more difficult to hot wire, simpler carjacking became more popular, also it could be easier to tow whole car etc etc. not to mention the fact I somehow don't see slow, fuel efficient TCH would have huge appeal to would be car thieves, until the warranties start running out and there is huge market for those expensive spare parts like converter or batteries. And even then I don't see hybrid car appealing that much to the person who would be dealing in stolen parts, at least not as much as $60k BMW or Mercedes.

mikieboyblue 08-29-2007 11:54 AM

Given all the issues raised on both sides, I honestly do no believe there is any reason why the keys should not use the highest crypto standards.

On a side...

Also, I do not believe the key contains hundreds of dollars of technology in it. The price of a new key is, in my opinion, an example of price gouging since the consumer is locked into a provider because of the monopoly. After all, I cannot go to Ford and get a Toyota key. I have to go to Toyota. I would love to know EXACTLY how much they cost to produce.

I actually dislike the fob design because I cannot figure out how to avoid giving a valet my glove box key and keep a key chain on the fob for easy hanging so it wont get lost.

SPL 08-29-2007 12:20 PM

mikieboyblue — I don't understand. The fob detaches from the door/glove-box/trunk key by depressing the release on its side. The key itself stays on your keychain. What's the problem?

Stan

chestr 08-29-2007 01:01 PM

Yeah, the physical key comes out of the fob, and you can actually lock the trunk physically and the fob won't open it. I hadn't even noticed a glove box lock, hehe. But the trunk thing is exactly the theory of giving the valet the car key and keeping the trunk secure.

rmorrow 08-29-2007 02:10 PM

I believe that mikeboyblue's objection is that when you detach the physical key from the fob, there is no longer any way to connect the fob to a keychain, thus increasing the likelihood that the fob can get lost by the valet (no way to hang it).

RedwoodGeorge 08-29-2007 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4 (Post 140917)
Since cars became more difficult to hot wire, simpler carjacking became more popular.

That would be a hoot - they jack you out of the car (with the key fob still in your pocket) and drive off. First time they turn off the car it'll never start again - though it could still be stripped for parts...

mikieboyblue 08-29-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 140984)
I believe that mikeboyblue's objection is that when you detach the physical key from the fob, there is no longer any way to connect the fob to a keychain, thus increasing the likelihood that the fob can get lost by the valet (no way to hang it).

Yes, exactly.