Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Road noise and Wind noise (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/road-noise-wind-noise-10525/)

Ian 10-15-2006 08:20 PM

Road noise and Wind noise

Noise is a very subjective adjective, really depends on how much you can tolerate. In my personal opinion, in some ocassion, i really feel that the wind noise and road noise, especially on the interstate highway (I-90 and I-94 in Wisconsin and Minnesota) can sometimes be very distractive and annoying.

Does anyone has any solution on how to minimize the road noise and/or wind noise?

Has anyone installed the wind deflector yet? Are they useful, in terms of decreasing the wind noise?

Anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks

Orcrone 10-16-2006 04:30 AM

Re: Road noise and Wind noise

Ian,

I find the car to be extremely quiet. Just wondering how your TCH compares with other cars you've owned.

schmidtj 10-16-2006 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ian
... Does anyone has any solution on how to minimize the road noise and/or wind noise? ...

Crank up the JBL and make sure ASL is enabled.
:embarass:
Glossary:
JBL = Radio/Sound System
ASL = Automatic Sound Level feature of the JBL (see above)

FL07THC 10-16-2006 08:11 AM

Does the Base JBL system have ASL? I did not know this.

flopshot 10-16-2006 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ian
Noise is a very subjective adjective, really depends on how much you can tolerate. In my personal opinion, in some ocassion, i really feel that the wind noise and road noise, especially on the interstate highway (I-90 and I-94 in Wisconsin and Minnesota) can sometimes be very distractive and annoying.

Does anyone has any solution on how to minimize the road noise and/or wind noise?

Has anyone installed the wind deflector yet? Are they useful, in terms of decreasing the wind noise?

Anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks

Like you said, this type of noise is very subjective. I actually find the TCH to be a very quiet vehicle, almost on par (but not quite) as my 99 CaddySTS. But then again, my last commuter car was a 97 Paseo convertible, which was as loud as a Rolling Stones concert even with the ragtop up, so I'm enjoying the silence of the TCH.

Does the Base JBL system have ASL? I did not know this.
Yes it does, but I do not find the ASL works very well in the base-JBL. If you go thru the stereo options (bass, treble, etc) it is the last option, and you can turn it ON or OFF. The ASL in the ScionTC works very well, you can adjust the ASL-sensitivity level, don't know why Toyota didn't incorporate that same functionality into the TCH stereo.

agnosto 10-16-2006 08:49 AM

For me, my 2007 TCH is perfectly quiet and quieter than the previous 2005 Camry I used to own... no issue very happy and pleased.

Ian 10-16-2006 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Ian,

I find the car to be extremely quiet. Just wondering how your TCH compares with other cars you've owned.

I used to own a Honda Coupe EX, and the road noise are almost the same level compare with the TCH.

Orcrone 10-16-2006 12:10 PM

If you can find a TCH at a dealership (preferably the one you purchased it at) I'd suggest taking it for a ride and comparing it to your car. Yours may have an actual issue, or maybe your just more attuned to it. The comparison should let you know.

TorontoTCH 10-16-2006 01:05 PM

We found the TCH is so quiet which is even better than ours 98 GS300.
Beside, we tried both Camry LE and TCH. The TCH is quieter than base LE, saleman told us TCH has thicker window which isolate noise.
If that is still not enough, you can have those noise cancellation head phone.

I am happy with mine.

skywagon 10-16-2006 01:41 PM

Must have a problem somewhere! Mine is just as quiet as my Lexus GX470 and rides as good also. better get it checked. Mine does not have a squeak or rattle.