Rocks hitting hood and front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rocks hitting hood and front bumper

Has anyone purchased the do-it-yourself 3M clear bra kit that is being sold on EBay for $270? There are cheap imitations that cost under $100, but this is the genuine 3M Paint Protection material. I emailed the seller, and he said that if you have installed your own factory rear bumper applique (which I have), then this installation should be relatively easy (rated 3 of 5 in difficulty).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...9856QQtcZphoto

Anyone out there already do this install? Would anyone be intersted in a group buy?
p.s. the rear bumper applique installation was a bit tricky at first, but now that I know the secret, it's actually pretty easy. Since the rear bumper applique is only $26, I would recommend that anyone thinking of installing their own clear bra

Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The Ebay seller is willing to do a group buy for at least 10 units (between the folks here and at TN). The discounted price would be 20% off his EBay selling price of $270, and he'll only charge $10 shipping USPS Priority to the continental U.S., and he'll throw in an installation squegee with every package The final cost would be $226 shipped. Anybody else interested?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
Has anyone purchased the do-it-yourself 3M clear bra kit that is being sold on EBay for $270? There are cheap imitations that cost under $100, but this is the genuine 3M Paint Protection material. I emailed the seller, and he said that if you have installed your own factory rear bumper applique (which I have), then this installation should be relatively easy (rated 3 of 5 in difficulty).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...9856QQtcZphoto

Anyone out there already do this install? Would anyone be intersted in a group buy?
p.s. the rear bumper applique installation was a bit tricky at first, but now that I know the secret, it's actually pretty easy. Since the rear bumper applique is only $26, I would recommend that anyone thinking of installing their own clear bra
I have to be honest here and say that I wouldn't do it. That front on the Camry is rather complex. You will need more than just a plastic squeegee (Knives, spray bottles and solution, heat gun, piercing tool). I watched my tint guy do our Highlander over the span of 3 hours or so and he's a pro. I'd rather do other things with say about 6 hours of my time for the $150-$200 installation premium. If you do it yourself, mistakes will be costly.

Here's a good article with pic's on an install.

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publi...ticle_161.html

Old 09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast

I have had the 3M clear bras put on 10 new vehicals by the same person who is a pro and takes less than 1 hour, $150-175. They will be doing my TCH next Wednesday. This is one job I would not tackle myself as I have watched it many times and it takes a pro for a nice lasting job.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I watched my guy too - I wouldn't do it myself - takes a pro for a really good job...