Spray or Wash your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Spray or Wash your engine?

Being in Avionics maintenance in the Air Force on the F-16 for 15 years i can say that with good reason the Synergy drive section of the engine compartment (right side) needs to stay as dry as possible. Electronics and wiring that is subjected to water or damp conditions is prone to short/fail over time. The Synergy drive has alot of wiring and electronic control systems all located under and near the right side of the motor. I actually taped most of the harnesses off so water will not get into them........hopefully keeping water and moisture that can condense and cause problems out.

Drive safe..

Last edited by CJO2007CamryHyb; 11-19-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
Being in Avionics maintenance in the Air Force on the F-16 for 15 years i can say that with good reason the Synergy drive section of the engine compartment (right side) needs to stay as dry as possible. Electronics and wiring that is subjected to water or damp conditions is prone to short/fail over time. The Synergy drive has alot of wiring and electronic control systems all located under and near the right side of the motor. I actually taped most of the harnesses off so water will not get into them........hopefully keeping water and moisture that can condense and cause problems out.

Drive safe..
The only GOOD advice I have heard on this subject period!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 AM

Thanks Skywagon!! I thought i would share my knowledge......:-)

Old 11-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb

Drive safe..
Could you elaborate on what type of tape, what and how you taped off the harnesses? Photos would be a bit help too. Thank you!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 PM

I used electrical tape and just taped all the exposed harnesses, mostly at the connectors. Basically all of the areas at the connector (wires) that are exposed to keep out any excess water/moisture. The 2 connectors right next to the Hybrid Synergy drive. I can take some pictures of what i did and respost later. Hope that helps. Some of the connectors are not reachable and i skipped them.