Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Has anyone tried ToyotaCarFan's suggestion (Post #150)? I haven't taken mine apart for a while now (although I'll have to again soon, see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10963) but Doug's clear plastic light-guide just seems somewhat different than mine (at least from what I remember), as if it's "curbed" right under the so-called "PRNDL legend" he was referring to (re: the source of the rubbing/squeaking)...

Also, this may just be another variation / addition to martinmzfan's fix (posts #141/#143). Excellent idea, but still just a temporary fix in the end... at least for me.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 AM
TCH-Frosted Mink

I tried Post#150 + #63 both last night.
Noise went away during my trip to work - 45 mins (80km).
I hope this fix the noise.

But I heard another noise from dash (driver side) and need to search forum for help.

Originally Posted by HybridFan
Has anyone tried ToyotaCarFan's suggestion (Post #150)? I haven't taken mine apart for a while now (although I'll have to again soon, see https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10963) but Doug's clear plastic light-guide just seems somewhat different than mine (at least from what I remember), as if it's "curbed" right under the so-called "PRNDL legend" he was referring to (re: the source of the rubbing/squeaking)...

Also, this may just be another variation / addition to martinmzfan's fix (posts #141/#143). Excellent idea, but still just a temporary fix in the end... at least for me.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

Picked up the TCH on Dec. 19th, Today is the 21st and the squeaking has started!!!! . I've read through the posts and decided to take the center console apart and apply felt like pads to the contact areas. I only applied 2 total 1 in front and one in back, It worked like a charm, no more squeek! Lets hope this is a permanant fix!

Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robs24
Picked up the TCH on Dec. 19th, Today is the 21st and the squeaking has started!!!! . I've read through the posts and decided to take the center console apart and apply felt like pads to the contact areas. I only applied 2 total 1 in front and one in back, It worked like a charm, no more squeek! Lets hope this is a permanant fix!
Are you talking about the shifter area or the armrest? If it is the armrest, where did you put the pads, and how much did you have to dismantle it?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

Okay people... as promised, I finally opened up the console cover again. This is the 7th or 8th time!$$^%@&%$^&%@&(*&^( I placed insulating foam under the clear sub-assembly where it meets any dissimilar plastic. The pink arrows show all the areas where foam was placed -- including the clear sub-assembly "legs" and under the gear legend. I found no problem with the gear legend friction clip. The clear subassembly is poorly fitted into this console and needs redesign. This fix better work!!! The near freezing temps. in So. Cal. contracted the plastics and changed fitment.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...hp?i=2268&c=40

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...9/IMG_3110.JPG

Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

It was the shifter area.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
HSD Organic Interface

I knew this thread had existed, but I never read it over carefully. I figured next oil change I'd print it then and have the dealer to it. Well, its about that time so I searched up this old info. I never realized just how easy this is to do. Squeak, squeak, squeak all the way to Home Depot, 5 minutes in the parking lot to apply 3 felt pads, and silent all the way home. Actually took me longer to find the right pads, They had 45 different shapes of thick heavy duty pads, and only right at the very bottom tucked in the corner were the 3/4" medium felt pads.

I fear I have waited too long to address another classic problem, the dash / lower windshield clatter over bumps. With the warmer spring weather it has gone away. I guess it can wait till the fall, but I am silent once again...

Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Didn't anyone like my idea about the earplugs? No, you don't put them in your ear, silly - you cut them into oversize pieces, and put them where Martin suggests, and they squish down to size.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by martinmzfan
I placed insulating foam under the clear sub-assembly where it meets any dissimilar plastic.
martinmzfan, I already tried that and it worked for a while but then it started squeaking again...

Funny thing is, I ultimately REMOVED all the foam that I had installed and -- you'll never guess it -- the squeaking stopped! Maybe it's the warmer weather playing tricks on me, and maybe I'll be in the same spot again next fall/winter... We'll just have to see...

As for where I think the bad design truly lies: it's not the clear sub-assembly but the "silver" layer (around the shifter area) which is glued to the main assembly (read: the friction between thos two plastic pieces). Go ahead & remove the clear sub-assembly and then gently bend/warp the main assembly back & forth: you'll hear that exact same squeak, just not as pronounced as when assembled into the center console area.

As I said: I removed ALL the insulating foam and pads I had put in... except for some small pieces I ultimately wedged in between the two parts described above. The result? No noise for over 2 1/2 months!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

i have positively identified this squeaking offender! i've had my TCH now for 7 months. i don't remember when i first noticed the squeaking, but i had no idea so many other people were experiencing my pain. i guess it's compforting to know that i am not alone! i agree with ToyotaCarFan and martinmzfan, the clear plastic piece (light guide) pictured in posts 143 & 150 is the guilty party. i have also come up with my own permanent solution. the thing is, i'm not sure how many of you will agree that my solution is right for you.

first you have to gain access to the clear plastic piece as mentioned several times already in this thread, then gently unclip the clear plastic piece and throw it in your glove box, center console, trash can, or where ever (i suggest holding on to it though, just incase you decide to sell your TCH sometime in the distant or not so distant future). as far as i can tell, the only function this piece serves is to illuminate the "p rndb" next to the shifter ***. i don't think i ever even realized that this lit up! that being the case, i think i can live without it lighting up, especially since i have the same indication right beside my speedometer.

one thing is for certain (as if anything is ever certain), the "crickets having sex" soundtract has been permanently deleted from my playlist! hopefully some one will read my post and agree that this is not too drastic!

p.s. now if i can just figure out the gps hack so i can manually enter addresses while driving, and access normally locked-out features (phone book and manual dialing, for example) my Bluetooth phone.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands