TCH original oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH original oil

Well, we now have a direct contradiction between Toyota's statement (in post #17) that all (i.e., 2007-2009 model year) TCHs have "natural petroleum-based" (i.e., not pure-synthetic) 5W-20 in their ICEs, and skoh's and Toyota's claim in posts #23 and 26 respectively that pure-synthetic 0W-20 oil is used from the factory. These statements are mutually incompatible!

Stan

Old 12-12-2008, 09:08 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPL
Well, we now have a direct contradiction between Toyota's statement (in post #17) that all (i.e., 2007-2009 model year) TCHs have "natural petroleum-based" (i.e., not pure-synthetic) 5W-20 in their ICEs, and skoh's and Toyota's claim in posts #23 and 26 respectively that pure-synthetic 0W-20 oil is used from the factory. These statements are mutually incompatible!

Stan
I believe the issue is timing.
Perhaps the TCH started with 5W-20 and then changed to 0W-20 *during* the model year. Just my personal theory.

I have asked Toyota about the timeline to confirm. But, I am inclined to believe that the vehicles/engines identified in (Toyota - Jay Spencer's) response is current as of today.

Toyota also announced in July 2008 that they are going to 0W-20 across the board (Toyota/Lexus/Scion): http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/...8-07-01/1.html

Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SPL

Stan
I don't think anyone claimed "PURE"-synthetic as I don't think there is a clear definition of "PURE." The confusion is because Group III (petroleum-based) base oils are considered synthetic in the USA. In other parts of the world only Group IV (PAO) and Group V (Ester) are considered synthetic.

So, without disclosing proprietary information, I believe oil companies can claim synthetic if it contains Group III, Group IV, Group V, or any combination of III,IV,V.

A "synthetic-blend" gets a lot fuzzier: As long it contains "some" Group III or higher base oil, oil companies are calling it a synthetic blend. I am not aware of any guidelines on how much Group III, or higher base oil, is required to be called a "synthetic blend."

Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM

In my mind, this whole issue of synthetic vs "dino" is getting very confused and ridiculous. I can't imagine there is enough benefit from using the supposed synthetic vs "dino" to justify the additional cost. One still needs to change the oil at 5,000-7,500 miles to preserve the Toyota warranty. The "less wear on start up" is doubtful (certainly hard to prove either way), and the mpg increase is negligible, if at all, vs 5w-20 dino.

Please understand, this is all in my opinion. If one keeps their vehicle 80,000-100,000 miles, changes it at 5,000 -7,500 miles using dino oil, the engine will be just fine, and will have saved considerable amount of money.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by skoh
OK. Here is the response from Toyota Motor Sales regarding which vehicles / engines are factory filled with 0W-20.

==============================================
Factory Fill Engine Oil [Incident: 081205-000000]

Discussion Thread
Response (JSpe) 12/09/2008 05:39 PM

Suk Koh,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

The following Toyota vehicles are filled from the factory with 0W-20 oil, synthetic oil.

Camry 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine
Camry Hybrid 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine
Corolla 1.8 liter 4-cylinder engine
Corolla 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine
Highlander 2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine
Highlander Hybrid 3.3 liter V6 engine
Land Cruiser 5.7 liter V8 engine
Matrix 1.8 liter 4-cylinder engine
Matrix 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine
RAV4 2.5 liter 4-cylinder engine
Sequoia 5.7 liter V8 engine
Solara 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine
Tacoma 2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine
Tundra 5.7 liter V8 engine
Venza 2.7 liter 4-cylinder engine

Jay Spencer
Toyota Customer Experience

==============================================
I can not go into more detail as Nippon Oil & Toyota may consider it to be confidential and proprietary information.
Here is further clarification from Toyota:
Response (JSpe)12/12/2008 11:02 AMSuk Koh,

The only gasoline engine available with the Camry Hybrid is the 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine. The gasoline powered Camry has an available 3.5 liter V6 engine and utilizes 5W-30 oil.

Both engines were available when the 2007 Camry went on sale in March of 2006.

Jay Spencer

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just had my oil change at 20k. I decided to have it done at Toyota Service here in town, but I bought my own oil. Went to Pep Boys and noticed they had an oil change deal (5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Tough Guard Filter for $27.99). Of course, from what you guys told me before about Fram, I was reluctant about that. But then I decided I could just have the Toyota guys use an OEM filter.

Anyway, I got there, and apparently they don't stock (or it doesn't exist at all) a Fram Tough Guard filter for the TCH. I talked to a manager and he substituted the Purolator Pure One for no extra charge. Love that deal, ended up with five quarts of 5w-20 and a better filter for under 30 bucks. The dealer charged me 12 bucks to put it in.

The only thing I regret is that Pep Boys doesn't stock 0w-20, which is what I really wanted to put in it for winter.

Here's a secondary question related to the recent discussion: If it's true TCHes came from the factory with 0w-20 or even 5w-20 synthetic, why does my Toyota Service center not even stock the 0w-20? In fact, if I recall my visit last time, they don't even have 5w-20 synth there! I'm not really interested in using theirs ever (if I can get 5 quarts and a filter for 30 bucks, I'm not spending twice that at Toyota), but it just struck me as strange!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
I just had my oil change at 20k. I decided to have it done at Toyota Service here in town, but I bought my own oil. Went to Pep Boys and noticed they had an oil change deal (5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Tough Guard Filter for $27.99). Of course, from what you guys told me before about Fram, I was reluctant about that. But then I decided I could just have the Toyota guys use an OEM filter.

Anyway, I got there, and apparently they don't stock (or it doesn't exist at all) a Fram Tough Guard filter for the TCH. I talked to a manager and he substituted the Purolator Pure One for no extra charge. Love that deal, ended up with five quarts of 5w-20 and a better filter for under 30 bucks. The dealer charged me 12 bucks to put it in.

The only thing I regret is that Pep Boys doesn't stock 0w-20, which is what I really wanted to put in it for winter.

Here's a secondary question related to the recent discussion: If it's true TCHes came from the factory with 0w-20 or even 5w-20 synthetic, why does my Toyota Service center not even stock the 0w-20? In fact, if I recall my visit last time, they don't even have 5w-20 synth there! I'm not really interested in using theirs ever (if I can get 5 quarts and a filter for 30 bucks, I'm not spending twice that at Toyota), but it just struck me as strange!
Unfortunately, quite a few dealerships still have 5W-30 in their bulk tanks because it is cheap, and they do not want to deal with a bunch of quart bottles of 0W-20.

I brought in my own oil as well until my local Toyota Dealership started carrying the 0W-20.
Rest assured, more and more Toyota, Lexus, and Honda dealerships are carrying 0W-20 in bulk to meet the growing demand of hybrids.

Until that happens, here is a list of API approved brands of 0W-20.
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByVisc...iscosity=0W-20

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JoeRemix

I buy my mobil 1 0W-20 oil from Walmart. My problem is, lately they keep running out of all the mobil 1 oils. I got lucky as they got a full shipment in and I bought 5 quarts for my oil change that was a few weeks away. We also have a Autozone that carries the Mobil 1. I called them once and at the time they did stock the 0W Mobil 1 oil.

I usually buy my oil filter at the dealer to get the oem filter. I prefer the pure one (best filter ever) from Pep Boys. My problem is the nearest Pep Boys is 80 miles away in El Paso.

I found it's best to buy the oil and filter early. Not much fun going oil and filter hunting on the day of a oil change. I usually do my own here at the house although it is a little messy.

I have paid walmart labor to do the change. It is really nice when they stock the 0W-20 oil I like.

I still buy the oil and supply the dealer filter in a sack. I placed it in the front floorboard and told the Wally service writer to just change the oil and filter as I brought my own stuff.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by skoh
Here is further clarification from Toyota:
Response (JSpe)12/12/2008 11:02 AMSuk Koh,

The only gasoline engine available with the Camry Hybrid is the 2.4 liter 4-cylinder engine. The gasoline powered Camry has an available 3.5 liter V6 engine and utilizes 5W-30 oil.

Both engines were available when the 2007 Camry went on sale in March of 2006.

Jay Spencer
Very odd how that differs from the response I received in post 17.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Very odd how that differs from the response I received in post 17.
IMHO, I am inclined to go with Jay Spencer's response as it is more detailed info by vehicle / engine type and it is also consistent with info from Nippon Oil who supplies 0W-20 factory fill to Toyota.

Maybe forward this thread to your contact (L.S.) in post 17 and ask her to confirm?

Quick Reply: TCH original oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands