Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   TCH Receiver Hitch - Pls keep a eye out (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/tch-receiver-hitch-pls-keep-eye-out-8416/)

lars-ss 07-08-2006 11:42 AM

TCH Receiver Hitch - Pls keep a eye out

I need a receiver hitch for my TCH, to haul my Segway. I have been searching the web weekly, and so far no one has a TCH rated hitch. :cry:

If anyone sees or hears about one, please post here for me. I need a hitch to make it easier to carry my Segway around. It fits in the trunk with the shaft disconnected, but lifting the 83 pounds up into the trunk is hard on my old spine.

Thanks all !!! :D

gandyfire 07-08-2006 04:45 PM

Re: TCH Receiver Hitch - Pls keep a eye out

As stated in the owners manual, Toyota does not recommend a hitch installed on the TCH, not even for a bicycle rack. I think the space is also limited for mounting due to the additional plastic underneath at the rear. Same reason a "fake" second exhaust pipe can't be added.:(

lars-ss 07-09-2006 06:51 AM

Yeah, "whatever" to that. :) Someone will make a hitch for the TCH eventually, and I will get it put on for my 100 pound Segway setup. It will not hurt anything, I can assure you.....:) I don't plan on hauling a yacht with it.....:)

WVGasGuy 07-09-2006 07:08 AM

I have considered looking for a hitch just for a small carrier I have for a weed eater and odds and ends I would like to haul. However installing a hitch would be something that could void the warranty and certainly would be hard to hide when you take it in to the dealer. I can't see where this thing would be any different than a regular 4c Camry when it comes to being able to handle say 1000 #. A hitch on the back would be asking for trouble if indeed you had engine problems.

I guess a lawyer can tell us the difference in "not recommended" and Not approved" for towing.

I'm overly careful I guess, and will wait until I'm off warranty.

lars-ss 07-09-2006 08:18 AM

They cannot void a warranty for adding a hitch receiver - they COULD only if the manual specifically stated "adding a hitch receiver will void your vehicle warranty".....But to each their own.....

TCH2007 07-09-2006 08:27 AM

Are we sure the ones shown here: http://tinyurl.com/hknch won't work???

lars-ss 07-09-2006 06:22 PM

I contacted those guys by e-mail about a month ago and they said they do not have one which is rated for or has been fitted for the TCH. They said it might be several months.

I downloaded the install instructions and it involves drilling a hole through the trunk floor of the Camry - I'm thinking that they need a different option for the TCH.

TCH2007 07-09-2006 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I contacted those guys by e-mail about a month ago and they said they do not have one which is rated for or has been fitted for the TCH. They said it might be several months.

I downloaded the install instructions and it involves drilling a hole through the trunk floor of the Camry - I'm thinking that they need a different option for the TCH.

Hmmm, I wonder what is unique between a regular and Hybrid, as far as hitch mounting. I did pull up the instructions for the three hitch options listed and you are correct about the first two. The third had been added since I last looked and it utilizes a different mounting method and there is no mention of drilling into the floor of the trunk.

Orcrone 07-10-2006 05:58 AM

I came across this thread in Camry Chat. Post #10 claims to have found one.

Droid13 07-10-2006 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I don't plan on hauling a yacht with it.....:)

I think part of the reason Toyota recommends no hitches even for bicycles is standard "CYA" due to the potential idiot factor. I imagine there are more that a few people that don't see much difference between hauling a yacht and loading a few bicycles once a hitch is installed.

Also, the car already has a lot of extra weight (battery) aft of the passenger area and the trunk load limit is not very high. Throwing a 100lbs into a rear carrier (which acts as a lever) will exceed this load limit. Now people exceed load limit all the time on all sorts of vehicles without having issues, but it does change the vehicles handling and maybe limit the effectiveness of VDIM and related systems. Just Toyota's way of saying if you do this stuff and can't handle it, we told you so...