Teflon coating over exterior paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Teflon coating over exterior paint

Hello Everyone,

The dealer where I am purchasing my TCH, like all others, is giving me all sorts of packets and tri-folds to read about various things. One is about putting a teflon coating over the exterior paint. They claim it will prevent pine sap and other acids from eating away at the paint. They will provide this for about $600.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Veracitorian Muser
Default Re: Teflon coating over exterior paint

Not likely to help much more that the factory applied sealant, but it really works wonders to greatly improve dealer's profits and margins. If you are concerned about adequate support of your dealer, it is a must buy. Otherwise, you might want to consider finding an honest dealer (note that Don Quixote complexes are helpful to find an honest dealer)!

-- Alan

Old 01-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Hello Everyone,

The dealer where I am purchasing my TCH, like all others, is giving me all sorts of packets and tri-folds to read about various things. One is about putting a teflon coating over the exterior paint. They claim it will prevent pine sap and other acids from eating away at the paint. They will provide this for about $600.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mike
I decided against it. Consumer Reports says not to get those add ons. --Benny

Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 AM

Alan and Benny,

Thanks for the reply, that is what I thought and I guess there were some other threads about it as well just not calling out teflon (which is what I searched for).

Mike

Old 01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

A good coat of wax could also provide some exterior protection as well

Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

When you purchase these new cars the dealer says that the paint has a sealant on it that will not require you to wax the vehicle, is this true?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't know if it's true or not, but it can't hurt.. The first thing I did after I drove my new TCH home was to give it a good washing and applied a coat of wax over it.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM

haha... no. you will need to polish/wax your car. their are some sealants on the market like Meguire's NXT and Mother's reflection that do wonders as well. With little effort you can do better than anything the dealer can offer and at a much lower cost...

Old 01-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
haha... no. you will need to polish/wax your car. their are some sealants on the market like Meguire's NXT and Mother's reflection that do wonders as well. With little effort you can do better than anything the dealer can offer and at a much lower cost...
I was reading through the manual (the first car I've ever had to do that for--still trying to figure out the NAV system) and it says that you should wax the car monthly. I laughed out loud.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by benny
I was reading through the manual (the first car I've ever had to do that for--still trying to figure out the NAV system) and it says that you should wax the car monthly. I laughed out loud.
How often should you wax the car? I have NEVER done it on my other cars...

Quick Reply: Teflon coating over exterior paint

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands