Time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Time to say goodbye

>>Why not limit advertisements to things we might want?<<

Because the site owner needs every single ad he can attract. And even then it's tough to make a go of it. Which is one reason why ads get more and more intrusive. Advertisers pay less for passive ads.

I'm sure the owner welcomes your willingness to pay for premium content and wishes there were more like you. But there aren't.

I'm offended as you by intrusive ads, but the site owner is confronted with no easy choices.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lzc
Operators of these types of forums face a dilemma. Users want them to be free of cost and (almost) free of ads. But unobtrusive ads don't generate enough revenue to cover costs. What to do?
I don't know how this site is run, but I'm involved with another forum that is comparably sized.
A forum like this can cost under $50 month to operate
Adsense ads can easily bring in about that much in revenue.
While I don't know for sure, it's not like the forum can't survive without the spam/sleaze. As the site was purchased by a larger concern, they're trying to maximize revenue. It's their site, so they're free to do this, but if they have any idea what cost it will exact to run this type of ads (that being the abandonment of their active members), they should reconsider.
I've restricted my involvement with this site to this issue.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:54 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

Since neither of us know what it costs to operate this site, I'll pass by your questimate that a similar one can be run for under $50. My experiences suggests otherwise, however.

Still, every site owner must balance revenue needs (or wants) with member tolerance for advertising, which can become annoying and drive members away. If this site crosses that line, so be it.

I'm simply aware that many web sites face cost/revenue dilemmas, and the choices available aren't as easy for operators as they are for those us talented at armchair operating.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Old 12-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator

this site is owned by internetbrands which basically owns most of the bigboards popular forums: evolutionm.net(I also moderate), 6speedonline, etc. almost all the carmakes enthusiasts forum.

http://www.internetbrands.com/

eCommerceCarsDirect.comAutos.comNewCarTestDrive.co mSellMyCar.com
AcuraAcuraForums.comAcuraLegend.comAcuraZine.com
AudiAudiForums.comAudiWorld.com
BMW5Series.net
ChryslerChryslerForum.comDodgeChallenger.comDodgeF orum.comModernHemi.comMoparForums.com
FordF150Online.comFordForum.comFordMustangs.comFor d-Trucks.comMercuryForum.comModMotorTech.comMustangB oards.comMustangForums.comPassionFord.comHarley DavidsonHDForums.com
HondaCBRForum.comCivicForums.comFitFreak.netHondaA ccordForum.comHonda-Acura.netHondaCivicForum.comHondaForum.comHondaMar ketPlace.comHonda-Tech.comS2000.comSuperhawkForum.com
HyundaiHyundaiforum.com
GeneralMotorsBlazerForum.comBuickforum.comCadillac forum.comCamaroForums.comChevroletForum.comCobaltS S.netCorvetteForum.comCorvetteForums.comHummerForu ms.comLS1Tech.comMonteCarloForum.comPontiacTalk.co mSaabforums.comSaturnforum.comThirdGen.orgInfiniti G35Driver.comMyG37.comIsuzuIsuzuForums.com JaguarJaguarForums.com
KawasakiKawasakiForums.com
LandRoverLandRoverForums.com
LexusClubLexus.comLexusForum.com
MazdaMazda3Club.comMazdaForum.comRX7Club.comRX8Clu b.com
MercedesMBWorld.orgMercedesForum.comMercedesMcLare n.com
MiniMiniCooperForums.comNorthAmericanMotoring.com
MitsubishiEvolutionM.netMitsubishiForum.com
NissanGTRforums.comMaxima.orgMy350z.comNissanForum .comNissanMaximas.comS-chassis.comZDriver.com
OldsmobileClassicOldsmobile.comOldsmobileForum.com
Porsche6speedOnline.comGermanAutoForums.comRennLis t.com
ScionScionlife.com
SubaruiClub.comScoobynet.com
SuzukiSuzukiForum.com
Toyota4RunnerForum.comCamryForums.comYotaTech.com
VolvoVolvoForums.com
VolkswagenVolkswagenForum.com
MultiATVConnection.comBikerForums.orgGreenHybrid.c omPerformancetrucks.netStuntlife.comTruckForums.co mWikicars.org

Last edited by evois; 12-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

therefore when they contract an ad, it is not just to one particular forum but all the forums alike.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

That is, it is not a board run by hobbyists. It's a business. They have to pay people, one hopes, and maintain reliable sites with professional graphics, etc.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator

since this is a toyota subforum, when you want to upgrade and will be looking for a lexus--clublexus is the biggest and the only enthusiast forum recognized by lexus usa. how do I know? I also own a lexus vehicle.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator

to run a small forum(founder) and it to become big is each founder's dream when it gets bought for a big lump sum of money by the big companies. does the member(original member of greenhybrid) feel betrayed when the owner sells it? absolutely! did you think that the originator of the forum speaks for the members? did the members get a piece of the pie? no, it is just an idea. enjoy it while it last.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

Would you care to expand on how much sweat equity the small forum founder put into building things up to the point in which he could cash out? I suspect his payday came only after long hours and little money . . . . . with no guarantee of success.

Yes, those of us who enjoyed this forum at no direct cost should have realized we should "enjoy it while it lasts," because it couldn't.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands