Tire issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire issue?

Originally Posted by rburt07
Ian, where did you find the nitrogen for your new tires. I read they don't vary on hot pavement like tires using air.

A year ago I called discount tires about 85 miles from where I live. The store I called did not offer nitrogen.

Burt
Any repair shop at your local airport has nitrogen, we use it for the struts and tires.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian
I got my Goodyear Responsedge 215/60R16 95V S2 Tires today. I have already put 10 miles of combine driving on them. Conclusion is: (without comparing with Michelin tires) it is alittle bit quieter than bridgestone on both highway and intown speed. I don't see a drop on my MPG yet (32 psi now, nitrogen). One thing I notice is the reponsivness on these tires. I am thinking my tires is still in 'break in' period which i am expecting it will be quieter after the break in.
Total price i paid is 575, which tires are $485.96, $10 for nitrogen, $42 for lifetime wheel balancing. One thing I have to mention is that i get a $10 coupon for my next visit and a $80 goodyear gift card (mail in) for this purchase.
$10 for nitrogen is a total ripoff.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

Man.. are you serious? nitrogen is free?
I think nitrogen is still kind of rear in GreenBay, or Northeast Wisconsin as I remember I watched a news coverage regarding to Nitrogen use over here and it charges for sure over 10 bucks for it.

I think those $10 is a one time charge and it is for a life time deal.

Regarding to the nitrogen in hot pavement, it makes sense that it doesn't compound as much as usual air. However I am more concern in winter time which the air pressure will drop. Nitrogen is less responsive, or hold more constant pressure in a bigger temperature difference, and that's my primary reason for putting nitrogen in..

Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

A 78% Nitrogen blend is free. It's called air.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

I properly should change my topics because now is related to my car's alignment.

As Goodyear was saying my car was not properly alligned, i went back to Toyota for a double check. They did the test and replied that my car is properly aligned WITHIN Specification issued by Toyota.
OK, my car is aligned within range, and it falls into the grey area that Toyota does not need to perform any adjustments.

Should I go to Goodyear and let them perform the alignment so that every alignment figures go to 0? or I should let that go? I just got my new tires and I don't want them to have abnormal wear.

What would you do?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

My $.02 - if you bought the tires from Goodyear then I'd go with their alignment too. Flip side is that the tires wear unevenly and Goodyear won't stand behind them because they told you that your vehicle was out of alignment and you did not correct.

Scott

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

Scott. I took your advice and I did the tire alignment from Goodyear.

I put some miles on my new tires today, and following are some of my observation.
Those tires are quieter than my OEM BridgeStone tires during city drivings, and slightly quieter in Highway drivings. As most of the highways are made by concrete, therefore the tire noise is still alittle bit loud, or as loud as BridgeStone.
They have a very good traction, with responsive steering feel.
My milage dropped alittle bit. Compare with the same trip i did before with my OEM tires, my tank average dropped around 3 miles per gallon. It probably is because it is a new tires, i am set with 32 psi instead of 35 psi, and i am using nitrogen than 'normal air', which nitrigen is more stable in terms of temperature.

I think i made a pretty good decision on switching my tires to Goodyear ResponseEdge

Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good deal - good luck!

Scott

Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian
Scott. I am set with 32 psi instead of 35 psi, and i am using nitrogen than 'normal air', which nitrigen is more stable in terms of temperature.

I think i made a pretty good decision on switching my tires to Goodyear ResponseEdge
Even at 32 psi with nitrogen that seems rather low. I always ran all my cars tires at 35 psi cold. The tire wear was flat across the bottom to over 50,000 miles. On a vacation years ago while driving at 60. I stopped at a roadside park just long enough to check the 35 psi tire pressure in two of the tires. The reading was 39 psi. It was a hot 95 degree day and i'm sure the pavement was much hotter.

Looks to me like with nitrogen your going to be driving on 32 psi tires all the time, maybe 33 when hot. I'm not familiar with nitrogen but I don't think it expands when hot like air does. Nice ride at 32 but i'm thinking it may pull down your gas mileage.

Looks like you made a good choice buying these ResponseEdge tires.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-13-2007 at 12:32 PM.