Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   What is "Engine Braking"? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/what-engine-braking-16669/)

nicst47 01-11-2008 06:33 AM

What is "Engine Braking"?

I just read the term "engine braking". Is that a TCH thing?

mikieboyblue 01-11-2008 06:37 AM

Re: What is "Engine Braking"?

In a simple answer: engine breaking is when the engine absorbs the energy to slow you down as opposed to the break pads and rotors. Engine breaking is nothing new. Whenever you take your foot off the gas, engine breaking is occurring at some degree. Also, if you have ever "dropped gears" to help slow down instead of the breaking -- this would be engine breaking.

There are a number of thread discussing this in relation to the TCH. A quick search should find them.

nicst47 01-11-2008 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue (Post 157428)
In a simple answer: engine breaking is when the engine absorbs the energy to slow you down as opposed to the break pads and rotors. Engine breaking is nothing new. Whenever you take your foot off the gas, engine breaking is occurring at some degree. Also, if you have ever "dropped gears" to help slow down instead of the breaking -- this would be engine breaking.

There are a number of thread discussing this in relation to the TCH. A quick search should find them.

Thanks Michael!

mikieboyblue 01-11-2008 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by nicst47 (Post 157431)
Thanks Michael!

You're welcome -- hopefully the techies out there wont chastise me for the potentially distorting answer.

chestr 01-11-2008 06:50 AM

Another interesting read is the wikipedia page on the hybrid synergy drive.

haroldo 01-11-2008 07:48 AM

See this thread.