Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   What grade of gas? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/what-grade-gas-8574/)

ginway 07-15-2006 09:55 AM

What grade of gas?

I was wondering what grade of gas everyone was putting in their TCH. I know that some cars really need and/or can make good use of premium, and others don't.

I've been putting in basic because of the price, but I'm wondering if going up to the middle grade will make any difference in performance and/or mileage.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

TCHandler 07-15-2006 10:52 AM

Re: What grade of gas?

Nope going up on octane will not make a difference with the TCH 's engine. Our engines were not designed for use with the higher octane.

ginway 07-15-2006 12:17 PM

OK, cool. Thanks!

ibdave 07-15-2006 05:00 PM

I was just reading the the manuel in my " office" and the book say's 87 octane.
Well here in California 87 is midgrade. It goes 85-87-92 octane..

WVGasGuy 07-15-2006 05:21 PM

Wierd that grades are so different. In WV it's 87, 89 and 92 or 93 (varies)

nash 07-15-2006 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ibdave
I was just reading the the manuel in my " office" and the book say's 87 octane.
Well here in California 87 is midgrade. It goes 85-87-92 octane..

Hmm, I've only seen "85" for regular when filling up at higher elevations, typically over 4 or 5,000 ft. Here in San Diego 87 is regular.

If you are going to drive most of the tank at the higher elevation, then 85 octane is just fine.

spiff72 07-15-2006 06:47 PM

Putting anything higher than 87 octane in the TCH is a waste of money. There is no reason to use higher octane unless that car requires it (the manual will say so, and the fuel gauge/fuel cap will say premium fuel is required).

n8kwx 07-17-2006 03:30 PM

There was a similar discussion on the Prius boards a while back. One knowledgeable person (a chemist?) made the point that higher octane gas actually has less energy content (per gallon).

spiff72 07-17-2006 03:49 PM

I think that makes sense.

The higher the octane rating, the more difficult it is to ignite the fuel. This is needed for higher compression engines, since compressing the fuel/air mixture causes it to heat up, and this heating can (in some instances) cause the fuel to ignite prematurely. This is often called pre-ignition or detonation. It usually sounds like a "pinging" noise (or rattling pebbles).

This pre-ignition is very damaging to the engine, and the higher octane gas is needed to prevent it from happening.