XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

By the way, Hamer Toyota wanted $895 for satellite radio! I said no thanks.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredoulis
I'm a newbee but have been a XM subscriber for over 3 years. Toyota will be XM exclusive starting with the 2008 MY cars. I'm not sure if this has anything to do the Sirius fit kit issue?

I installed the XM tuner and fit kit in 3 and a half hours - working quite slowly to not accidentally damage my new car. There is a 15 page installation instructions from Toyota's accessory guide that the dealer will make a copy for you. It is clear and easy to follow and I'm by no means an expert at dismantling. I highly recommend getting a clip removal tool (I got mine for $9) to help remove panel and trim pieces. I purchased the XM tuner and fit kit from 1sttoyotaparts.com (they had to backorder) and received it in two weeks. Total cost was under $260 including FedEx ground shipping.
Where did you get the clip removal tool? (Would this be the "nylon removal tool" I have seen mentioned elsewhere?)

Is your antenna mounted above or below the rear package shelf/deck?

Thanks for the post!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

I just installed a sirius kit seemingly made for a last generation Camry. I did some improvising.

I have the receiver (SiriusConnect) and wiring harness installed under the storage cubby, out of sight. The antenna is the Sigma model, inside of the windshield to the right of the rear view mirror.

I used a 10mm socket, a flathead screwdriver covered with tape for a "removal tool", and a phillipshead for removing the storage cubby.

Installation took all of one hour, and it sounds great! I would think anyone who has any experience whatsover should be able to do this, for I dont have much...

Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased the tool at my local Kragen Auto store. Sears did not have it and the Toyota dealer does not stock tools - they would have to special order.

The tool I have has a screwdriver type handle and metal shank and the tip resembles a very thin open box wrench. I wrapped masking tape on the flats so it would not scratch the surfaces. I believe this is the type of tool Toyota refers to, but made of nylon.

The ground plane/antenna was installed on top of the rear shelf to the passenger side of the center brake light (per the instructions). I was afraid the roofline may impair some reception but the car would have to be on a steep grade (>30 degrees) for that to happen.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Just picked up my XM receiver and "fit kit" from my dealer. I also had the dealer print out the install instructions from the "Toyota Information System". 15 pages worth.

Looks like the receiver is just mounted to one of the structural members in the trunk, the antenna is placed on the rear deck, and the interconnect cable from the receiver to the head unit is routed all along the right side of the vehicle under the molding, behind the glove box, and up to the head unit.

The dealer will charge $300 for his "installer" to do this. Some guy who does installs for the dealer.

Figure I'll just velcro the receiver to the floor of the glove box and route the very thin antenna lead to the rear deck.

Just need to figure out how to remove the head unit without "dorking" up the dash.

Will include pics as soon as I can figure out where to post them.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

OK.

For my pics of the XM receiver and fit kit and my Barcelona Red minus badges go to www.l7productions.com/hybridcamry/camry

Old 07-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

OK.

Finished the install of the XM receiver and fit kit.

Went ahead and mounted the receiver in the trunk per the instructions.

It's just a matter of being able to get to the rear of the head unit.

Would have been much simpler if Toyota had just hooked up a "pigtail" to the head unit and left the open connector behind the glove box.

System works great with no reception problems with the antenna on the rear deck.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know if the XM interface does this but with Sirius it cuts off the artist and title names at 10 characters. I don't get it; if you play an mp3 it will display the whole long file name and the ID3 Artist and Title info without truncating. Looks to me like it’s a limitation of the tuner box and not the head unit (I have the NAV version).

Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

XM does the same. Irritating isn't it.

Also, I am unable to save songs and be alerted when that particular song is being played on any channel. My portable XM units can do that.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Same with the Sirius.. No notification feature, at least none that I've found so far.

Quick Reply: XM/Sirius Install on '07 TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands