Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Highlander Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-highlander-hybrid-31/)
-   -   Time for my first oil change - a question (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-highlander-hybrid-31/time-my-first-oil-change-question-14890/)

andybl 08-13-2007 11:53 AM

Time for my first oil change - a question

Hi,

Its time for my first oil change. I do the maintinance on all my cars and I plan on doing this myself. After researching past posts on oil filter removal I think the best approach is to remove the lower "shield" and access it from the bottom. After looking at the plastice shield I noticed that it is held in place by both bolts and two plastic rivets.
Question - is it necessary to remove these rivets and if so hows does one go about doing it without breaking them ?

Thanks

Mr. Kite 08-13-2007 12:17 PM

Re: Time for my first oil change - a question

Originally Posted by andybl (Post 138712)
Hi,

Its time for my first oil change. I do the maintinance on all my cars and I plan on doing this myself. After researching past posts on oil filter removal I think the best approach is to remove the lower "shield" and access it from the bottom. After looking at the plastice shield I noticed that it is held in place by both bolts and two plastic rivets.
Question - is it necessary to remove these rivets and if so hows does one go about doing it without breaking them ?

Thanks

Just use a flat head screwdriver to pop up the center of the head. Then they will easily come out. I've already removed mine for an oil change and an engine block heater install. I had no problems at all.

collegejester 08-28-2007 09:33 PM

Re: Time for my first oil change - a question

What I have done for my oil changes is there are a total of eight bolts that hold that plastic shield to the vehicle not including the little plastic clips. I have been pretty successful at removing all of the bolts and when laying under the vehicle with the driver side to my left, I swing the plastic shield from front to back (counter-clockwise) and let it rest against the ground on the driver side. There are two bolts one on each side that clearly screw into metal (maybe plastic?) rectangular slots, and those seem to give it the leverage to move that plastic shield pretty freely. I hope my ramblings help!