Car won't start please help - No READY light.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Car won't start please help - No READY light.

Originally Posted by dugi
the thing with dealers is they always want your money and dont want to give you information to do it yourself which may be a very simple procedure. I read the link that brick gave me that would work but its for a 2004 model and mine is 2003 so im dont know if they are the same. But what i could tell you is that on the 2004 model he was able to get it started wtihout replacing the airbags, all he did was reset the computer by holding down the INF button while switching the lights on and off till the computer reset it self then the car was able to start. The dealer told me that the car wont start cuase all the airbags needs to be replaced first so thats why i feel they are just withholding information and just want the work.
Of course they are withholding information. Quite possible that the toyota dealer is just trying to protect itself from a lawsuit. If they tell you how to start the car with spent air bags and then you get into an accident and smash your head into the steering wheel and suffer injury, your insurance co will not pay. Only way to recover your med costs is to sue. Guess who has the deepest pockets??? the dealership.....

Old 03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

My airbags are blown and i lost me keys so i had the dealer make me a new key and they also had to replace the immobolizer. My question is since the car has been in an accident and the airbags deployed is there some kind of shut off to keep the car from restarting? is there something i can reset that would allow me to start the car again? thanks.

sorry i forgot to add the year but it is a 2003 so im not sure if it has that INF button or not but i'll have to check when i get home from work thanks again for the help so far.
Hello Dugi,

I'm assuming that your car is still in a wreck and you have it parked somewhere maybe at home and you want to take it to the dealer to have all the repairs done. I would call them up first and ask them what body shop they are affiliated with if you havent already done that; then it's up to you if you want it to be done there. I dont know of any toyota dealer who does body work. After, when your body is intact all you have left is to make sure the engine and all the components are in working order, that includes your airbags; i would have it towed to the dealer just to be sure it doesnt break down on the way there and cause more problems (if there are any problems with the engine caused by the accident).
It's really up to you what you should do; for me, i would not drive a car that is involved in an accident until it's fully fixed, especially with no airbags installed. God forbid you get hit by any car as long as it's not an 8000lbs Hummer you'll definately need dentures. To be on the safe side, there's always a tow truck you can call. or maybe it's time for a new car

good luck!

Last edited by CamelFilters; 03-30-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Enthusiast

I was able to test a few things and what i found was that the dash indicates that the main batteries have power but I tested the line comming out of the batteries and i get no voltage. Is there some sort of relay that needs to be reset? perhaps someone knows why im not reading any voltage comming out.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Engineering first

I was able to test a few things and what i found was that the dash indicates that the main batteries have power but I tested the line comming out of the batteries and i get no voltage. Is there some sort of relay that needs to be reset? perhaps someone knows why im not reading any voltage comming out.
It is time to order the Toyota maintenance manuals for your car. Mine costs about $200 and they show up from time to time on Ebay.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

I like to thank everyone who put in the time and effort to help me get my 2003 prius to start. Well i finally did it! i got the car started without new airbags or sensors installed like the dealer told me it needed.

well to recap what was done. I had no keys so i paid the dealer to install a new key system/immobleizer and they did but when i went to pick it up they had told me it is impossible for this car to start without new airbags and sensors replaced. Myself knowing what type of people/buisness im dealing with knew that they only wanted more money so i towed the car home and started searching for ways to start the car myself. I ask on 3 different online forums cuase i know how many smart people there were and most likely i'd have the answer in a day but unfortunatly all i got was some very good advice but not 1 that started the car. I then paid for the online subscription to check out the toyota manuals and let me say its not the easiest to navigate through but i read and read and read.
well what really screwed me over was that the dealer was suppose to have installed a brand new immobleizer and program it but in the end they just installed it and never programmed/reset it so that was my problem.

3. IF ALL KEYS ARE LOST, OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING
(a) Purchase a new transponder key ECU and a new key.
(b) Replace the transponder key ECU with new one.
(c) Insert a new key into the key cylinder, turn the ignition switch ON and leave it as it is for 30 min.
4. SETTING HYBRID VEHICLE IMMOBILISER SYSTEM
(a) Removing a key from the key cylinder sets hybrid vehicle immobiliser system.
(b) When 20 sec is elapsed after the key is turned from ignition switch ON to ACC or LOCK, the hybrid
vehicle immobiliser is set.

so that is what i did and that got the car started. so i guess dealer repair techs are just as slimy as their sales guys lol.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Engineering first

. . . I then paid for the online subscription to check out the toyota manuals and let me say its not the easiest to navigate through but i read and read and read. . . .
Congratulations!!

Tell me more about the "online subscription" system. I'm old school and bought the paper manuals. If it had been on a CD, I'd have bought that. But online presumes network access so I was a bit skeptical.

Price?

Lesson's learned?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Congratulations!!

Tell me more about the "online subscription" system. I'm old school and bought the paper manuals. If it had been on a CD, I'd have bought that. But online presumes network access so I was a bit skeptical.

Price?

Lesson's learned?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
http://www.techinfo.toyota.com/

thats the website and the price i forget but its something like $30-50 a month i think its $50. Benefits of this would be you get all toyota make and models and all the up to date information unlike books that can get outdated. the bad is its much harder to find what you need unlike a book but once you get use to it then you should not have to much trouble finding what you need. for an individual who is interested in just 1 car this could get pretty exspensive for the renewal every month and if you think your just gonna pay for 1 month and download all the books on what cars you want then your dreaming cuase their is so much information and its scattered around that you would litteraly take days just to download it.